Sponsored

Upgrading from the 5" UConnect3 to 7" UConnect4?

Cerberus

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2003 TJ Sahara
Y
Have there been any updates on getting the new ac control unit to work when upgrade from the 5" to the 7"?
Was at the dealership getting a service and they were less than helpful when I asked for the HVAC schematics. From what I understand and compare to the JK’s, you will need to install a new HVAC control module, a new sun sensor, cabin temperature sensor, and the HVAC control unit.

The sun sensor is the sensor on the dash. There are a couple different types of these sensors and you will need to get the one that controls the headlights and HVAC.

The cabin temperature sensor is located behind the panel under the steering wheel. If you look at the plastic panel, it sits behind the little grill cutout on the right side.
Sponsored

x_captain_kaos_x

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 YJ, 18 JL 2DR Sport S
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Here’s an issue I haven’t seen anyone else have.
I swapped the 5” Uconnect for the 7” in a Sport S.
The 7” head unit came from another forum member that upgraded.

The climate controls for my Jeep were not/are not integrated into the 5” - just to clarify.

Anyway, I made the easy swap, plugged everything in and the new 7” fires right up. Then I was hit with “enter anti-theft code”. So, naturally... I’m an idiot and tried 0000 and promptly locked the radio.
Again - this is a Sport S basic system. I got the 5 inch to save a few bucks knowing someone would upgrade their 7”.

Has anyone else done a straight swap with a head unit from another JL and run into this?
What did you do to clear the issue?

Thanks!

22C9EFCC-8682-4789-8FAB-BF9D0E1C8572.jpeg

Jlynsk

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL unlimited sport
I ran into the same issue, the forum member I bought it from was nice enough to call the dealer he bought his JL from and got the code from the service department.

Here’s an issue I haven’t seen anyone else have.
I swapped the 5” Uconnect for the 7” in a Sport S.
The 7” head unit came from another forum member that upgraded.

The climate controls for my Jeep were not/are not integrated into the 5” - just to clarify.

Anyway, I made the easy swap, plugged everything in and the new 7” fires right up. Then I was hit with “enter anti-theft code”. So, naturally... I’m an idiot and tried 0000 and promptly locked the radio.
Again - this is a Sport S basic system. I got the 5 inch to save a few bucks knowing someone would upgrade their 7”.

Has anyone else done a straight swap with a head unit from another JL and run into this?
What did you do to clear the issue?

Thanks!

22C9EFCC-8682-4789-8FAB-BF9D0E1C8572.jpeg

Sponsored

Stickwagen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Porsche 912, 1991 VW Westfalia, 2007 Volvo XC 70, 2011 Subaru Tribeca, 2018 JLU Sport S
Just wanted to say thank you to the op’s for blazing the trail on this mod. Far and away the best upgrade I have made! Makes driving my Jeep so much safer and enjoyable by using CarPlay. 15 min. Install for a night and day difference. Thanks again to all that contributed to this post!

Wzabrouski

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Occupation
Director of Operations
Thanks. Just mounted mine there. Pretty easy to install.
For those of you that added the XM antenna, how did you run the extension cable for the antenna along the roll bar? I noticed it has what look like mounting points on the antenna extension cable.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Y

Was at the dealership getting a service and they were less than helpful when I asked for the HVAC schematics. From what I understand and compare to the JK’s, you will need to install a new HVAC control module, a new sun sensor, cabin temperature sensor, and the HVAC control unit.

The sun sensor is the sensor on the dash. There are a couple different types of these sensors and you will need to get the one that controls the headlights and HVAC.

The cabin temperature sensor is located behind the panel under the steering wheel. If you look at the plastic panel, it sits behind the little grill cutout on the right side.

What exactly do you need. My Tech Authority act expires tomorrow so I can get you something. I attached Schematic for HVAC System with Auto Temp Control

Attachments

Cwalters2002

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl wrangler unlimited sport s
Hey a couple of quick questions here. Did you guys order directly through your dealers? When I called mine they said they would need the VIN and said they would only order parts compatible with my VIN. Few weeks in now and my 5” system keeps power cycling and resetting. Is this fixed if I go to the 7 inch system? And is it any faster than the 5inch system because I have noticed that it takes a bit to even adjust the volume after starting my Jeep.

Thanks to the OP for working on this!!

Sponsored

Wzabrouski

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Occupation
Director of Operations
Hey a couple of quick questions here. Did you guys order directly through your dealers? When I called mine they said they would need the VIN and said they would only order parts compatible with my VIN. Few weeks in now and my 5” system keeps power cycling and resetting. Is this fixed if I go to the 7 inch system? And is it any faster than the 5inch system because I have noticed that it takes a bit to even adjust the volume after starting my Jeep.

Thanks to the OP for working on this!!
I ordered mine from RockAuto.

Cerberus

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2003 TJ Sahara

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Quick question for when I order my Unlimited Sport that comes with the 5” radio, do I need to pay for the 1 year Sirius/XM service for $295 when I order the Jeep in order to have the Sirius Antenna installed? Or is the satellite radio antenna already installed and Jeep is charging $295 for just 1 year of service?? I assume the radio is automatically Sirius capable on the 5” correct?
Sponsored