Sponsored

Upgrading from the 5" UConnect3 to 7" UConnect4?

AK226

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
2. Yes. If I’m mistaken someone will correct me. BUT when I swapped my center stack for a new one I had to enable it with my Tazer.
Did you swap with a center stack that had auto and dual zone AC controls? I’m thinking since this center stack appears to have the exact same features as the base unit (ie manual, single zone AC), a flash may not be required, but maybe that’s wishful thinking.
Sponsored

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Did you swap with a center stack that had auto and dual zone AC controls? I’m thinking since this center stack appears to have the exact same features as the base unit (ie manual, single zone AC), a flash may not be required, but maybe that’s wishful thinking.
I did exactly that.
The new one did nothing at all until I used the Tazer. When I unmarry/reset to stock for a dealer visit recently, the center stack was again useless.
You may be right. Please post your results when you try it. You’ll be helping someone out that visits the thread later.

Keiland

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Jeep JLU Sport - '22 Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Cartoonist
That's interesting. I upgraded radio (highly recommended) and switched to dual zone hvac stack. HVAC works fine, but not great...kinda blows either hot, or cold, but not much variation in between. I used taser to switch to dual zone, but that stack pictured looks like it would work on the original single zone setting without flashing (and possibly not be confused by the dual zone interface). If you find the part number, please post! :movember:

I've been following this thread for some time as I want to upgrade the 5" uconnect to 7" in my 2018 Sport S. The lack of volume knob/power button was a gripe for me that I was planning to solve by upgrading the center stack and installing necessary temp/sun sensors for auto climate, but I was still annoyed that I'd have non-functioning dual zone AC buttons on the center stack.

Then it occurred to me that the 7" uconnect is now standard on 2022 MY and newer, and dual zone/auto AC is still offered as an upgrade, so there must be a new center stack for those that don't opt for the Tech package - they wouldn't ship Jeeps from the factory with non-functioning buttons. I searched around auto trader for 2022+ wrangler without tech package and found the below center stack, which has exactly the buttons I'd need (no auto climate, single zone temp control, heated seats since I do have cold weather package).

1) Does anyone have a part number for this center stack (or if anyone has this configuration in their car would the mind checking for a part number)?

2) If I'm not enabling new climate features, would I still need to flash this center stack to activate the HVAC controls?
IMG_3737.jpg

kimnjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
in jscan for the one infotainment offers with the dual temp control
open jscan
goto adaptation
then miscallaneous
then hvac configuration
select dual zone atc
youtube for the non nerdy people lol
Thanks for this! I ordered one off of eBay, and also Jscan, but wasn't sure how to make it work with Jscan. If my radio ever gets here from Infotainment, I should be GTG.

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
Thanks for this! I ordered one off of eBay, and also Jscan, but wasn't sure how to make it work with Jscan. If my radio ever gets here from Infotainment, I should be GTG.
jscan is good if you get stuck they answer emails pretty fast . and you always have here to ask
let me know if you get stuck , its pretty much what i wrote - remember to save ..

if you get everything from infotainment , they should send you everything you need to install the parts.

if you buy a radio or parts somewhere else you will need to get a
obd reader
&
a security bypass module

Sponsored

kimnjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jscan is good if you get stuck they answer emails pretty fast . and you always have here to ask
let me know if you get stuck , its pretty much what i wrote - remember to save ..

if you get everything from infotainment , they should send you everything you need to install the parts.

if you buy a radio or parts somewhere else you will need to get a
obd reader
&
a security bypass module
I only got the radio from Infotainment. Everything else, the temp sensor, HVAC controls, and sunlight sensor from eBay. Infotainment order was placed a week ago Saturday, and still not shipped. They said they are having a hard time finding a radio. They took the money instantly though. I also ordered the Vgate vLinker MC+ and a TTXSPP Cable Adaptor for Chrysler 12+8 cable from Amazon, per Jscan's suggestion. I definitely appreciate the tip on Jscan, and hopefully all goes well when I finally get the radio.

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
you should be good to go !!

its a great mod upgrade for sure i love it !!

kimnjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just wanted to thank everyone here for your help on upgrading my wife's radio in her jeep. The total cost for everything ended up being $765.52. That includes all shipping, taxes, and a VIN license from OBD JScan too. I ended up cancelling my radio order from Infotainment, since after two weeks they were still jacking me around, and not shipping my radio, even though they took my money right away. They were waiting on "an intricate part", to complete my order. One time they actually said they didn't have a radio in stock also. When I threatened to cancel my order, they said they had two, and could send one out the next day. When I did cancel, they said if I would reconsider, they would give me a longer warranty. I thought, if I can't get them to ship one, how great is the warranty? Anyway, I did get my money back, which was cool. By the way, their phone number on Shop doesn't work, and is the one on their website too. The way I was able to contact them was by following their Facebook link, which has a good number there. If you do, read some of the reviews on their Facebook page, and you will see why I was ultimately convinced to cancel my order.

The parts and cost for everything was as follows:

eBay
2018 - 2022 Jeep Wrangler JL OEM 7 Inch Radio Touch Screen Uconnect - $528.94 (tax included/free shipping)
eBay
CABIN AIR TEMP TEMPERATURE SENSOR MODULE OEM 2011 - 2022 (Part#-68170208AC) and
SUN LOAD LIGHT SENSOR OEM 11-22 (Part# - 68230114AB)
I bought these together from same seller - $63.58 (tax included/free shipping)
eBay
Heater AC Heat Temperature Control Temp Dash Unit 2020 2021 Jeep Wrangler - (Part# - 6SX95DS9AB) - $68.85 (tax included/free shipping) Note: I needed this one because I had heated seats and steering wheel also (cold weather package).
Amazon
TTXSPP Cable Adaptor for Chrysler 12+8 Programming Cable Connector for Autel DS808 Maxisys Main Test Cable for Autel DS808 Maxisys MS905 MS906 MS906BT MS906S MS908 MS908S Pro and
Vgate vLinker MC+ Bluetooth OBD2 Car Diagnostic Scan Tool for iPhone iOS, Android & Windows
I bought these together - $83.16 (tax included/free shipping)
OBD JScan - App was free, but one license is $20.99

Some of this stuff will be handy later for other things of course, like the scanner, and adaptor cable. I hope to recoup some of my money later, on my old heat controls, and radio. Everything seems to be working just fine now. The only real issue was it took a bit for the climate controls to show on the radio, and Sirius XM now thinks I have a 2018 radio instead of a 2019, since that was the donor. I can live with that. I also have VIN mismatch error, and some zone errors in JScan because I really don't have the second climate zone. Again, thanks for all the help!!! It was much appreciated!!!

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
Thought I would add my 2 cents. I've done this swap before on my 2019 JLU Sport and later on my 2021 JT Sport. Worked fine both times but was never happy with lack of volume, tuning, mute button, etc. so I went back to the 5".

Decided to try again, this time with HVAC controls. Bought a 7" JL radio. Works fine in the JT. Found HVAC controls on eBay. Using Jscan I set the HVAC to "dual zone atc". Success.

I didn't add the cabin temp or sun sensors as I planned on just setting temps manually.

ETA: Not so much success. Turns out without the cabin temp sensor the heater output is all over the place. My Jeep is not pre-wired for the sensor. Back to the drawing board. Guess I'll be making a wiring harness.

Last edited:

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
I've been following this thread for some time as I want to upgrade the 5" uconnect to 7" in my 2018 Sport S. The lack of volume knob/power button was a gripe for me that I was planning to solve by upgrading the center stack and installing necessary temp/sun sensors for auto climate, but I was still annoyed that I'd have non-functioning dual zone AC buttons on the center stack.

Then it occurred to me that the 7" uconnect is now standard on 2022 MY and newer, and dual zone/auto AC is still offered as an upgrade, so there must be a new center stack for those that don't opt for the Tech package - they wouldn't ship Jeeps from the factory with non-functioning buttons. I searched around auto trader for 2022+ wrangler without tech package and found the below center stack, which has exactly the buttons I'd need (no auto climate, single zone temp control, heated seats since I do have cold weather package).

1) Does anyone have a part number for this center stack (or if anyone has this configuration in their car would the mind checking for a part number)?

2) If I'm not enabling new climate features, would I still need to flash this center stack to activate the HVAC controls?
IMG_3737.jpg
I think you're on to something with this so I tried it.
I went through Auto Trader looking at 2022-23 Sport Gladiators and found the HVAC controls (pictured) that seemed to match the features I wanted.

To get the part number I copied the VIN of the Jeep and gave it to Benny. He was able to reference the VIN and get the PN. For those interested the PN of the controls I pictured is 7EV04DX9AA.

Copy of 89b9e18d31934e31b35c00d30fc52f0c (Medium).jpg

Sponsored

scottedontknow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 YJ, 95 YJ, 2019 JLU x2
Thought I would add my 2 cents. I've done this swap before on my 2019 JLU Sport and later on my 2021 JT Sport. Worked fine both times but was never happy with lack of volume, tuning, mute button, etc. so I went back to the 5".

Decided to try again, this time with HVAC controls. Bought a 7" JL radio. Works fine in the JT. Found HVAC controls on eBay. Using Jscan I set the HVAC to "dual zone atc". Success.

I didn't add the cabin temp or sun sensors as I planned on just setting temps manually.

ETA: Not so much success. Turns out without the cabin temp sensor the heater output is all over the place. My Jeep is not pre-wired for the sensor. Back to the drawing board. Guess I'll be making a wiring harness.
That is the one of the things I can't stand with the JL/JT, I can't figure out why on earth they just use the same wiring harness for the Spot and Sport S. The differences are so slight but yet the S has all the extra harnesses!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
That is the one of the things I can't stand with the JL/JT, I can't figure out why on earth they just use the same wiring harness for the Spot and Sport S. The differences are so slight but yet the S has all the extra harnesses!
Guess they have to do something to justify the price premium :(

ktulu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR, 2018 JL Sport S
First time poster, long time reader (mainly this thread, but so much good info...) - so I picked up a used 2018 JL Sport S for my daughter to drive in the future. It has the crap 5" radio that likes to reboot all of the time when plugged in and streaming from the phone. I plan on doing this swap, but has anyone cracked the code for software upgrades? I wanted to try upgrading the 5" in hopes it'll work, but the Uconnect site sucks and I just get a blank screen when I try my VIN, or another VIN from a friend's JL with the same radio. As much as uconnect sucks in my 2015 JKUR, the 430N has been solid for us, minus one hiccup that was replaced under warranty...

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

but has anyone cracked the code for software upgrades? I wanted to try upgrading the 5" in hopes it'll work, but the Uconnect site sucks and I just get a blank screen when I try my VIN, or another VIN from a friend's JL with the same radio.
To my knowledge, there hasn't been an update for the 5" radio.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
I think you're on to something with this so I tried it.
I went through Auto Trader looking at 2022-23 Sport Gladiators and found the HVAC controls (pictured) that seemed to match the features I wanted.

To get the part number I copied the VIN of the Jeep and gave it to Benny. He was able to reference the VIN and get the PN. For those interested the PN of the controls I pictured is 7EV04DX9AA.

Copy of 89b9e18d31934e31b35c00d30fc52f0c (Medium).jpg
Late to the party, but would just buying this one and setting up setting in jscan work? Still running the stock sport hvac controls and wanting to upgrade finally.

Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrading from the 5" UConnect3 to 7" UConnect4? IMG_2172
Sponsored