Sponsored

Upgrading from the 5" UConnect3 to 7" UConnect4?

thewolfman2010

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (JL)
Hello Everyone!

Just joined the forum and recently purchased a JLU Sport S.
My local dealer had the exact vehicle that I wanted with the exception of the 7" UConnect 4 radio.

I talked to my buddy who works in parts and gave me the following part numbers for the 7" UConnect 4 Radio:
Without Sat Radio: 68297545ae
With Sat Radio: 68297546ae

I've checked a couple websites and have found the part listed as "Radio Multi-Media" but without any pictures or descriptions. Here's an example: https://www.mymoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-radio-multi-media-68297546ae

My question is: has anyone upgraded their radio yet, and do these stock radios have the same wiring harness and factory connections? I want to upgrade to the 7" radio for the CarPlay/Android Auto integration without having to look at 3rd party radios.

Will the 7" radio be plug and play, or will I need the dealer to update sales codes / vehicle codes to get it to function?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Jordon_Taylor

First Name
Jordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Bad news, guys. Here's the text from my most recent email with FCA.

"After checking every resource I could think of, I'm not seeing anything available to upgrade your radio by using your VIN. This means that both
part number 68297545AE and 68297546AE are not compatible with your vehicle.
I suggest that you speak with the parts department of your local authorized Jeep dealership for more information."

The FCA rep spent a day looking then got back to me. I'm still not 100% buying this though. I do know that Infotainment.com is working on a kit for JL, I definitely don't expect it to be cheap though. I'm going to continue looking for an image of the back of the UC4 to compare connections. There's a thread somewhere that's for requesting pictures. Maybe someone will be kind enough to take theirs out of the dash.

Avl2294

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2014 JKU Sahara 2004 Dodge Viper
Hello Everyone!

My local dealer had the exact vehicle that I wanted with the exception of the 7" UConnect 4 radio.

I talked to my buddy who works in parts and gave me the following part numbers for the 7" UConnect 4 Radio:

I've checked a couple websites and have found the part listed as "Radio Multi-Media" but without any pictures or descriptions. Here's an example: https://www.mymoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-radio-multi-media-68297546ae

My question is: has anyone upgraded their radio yet, and do these stock radios have the same wiring harness and factory connections? I want to upgrade to the 7" radio for the CarPlay/Android Auto integration without having to look at 3rd party radios.

Will the 7" radio be plug and play, or will I need the dealer to update sales codes / vehicle codes to get it to function?

Thanks in advance!
all other FCA Vehicles have interchangeable uconnect systems...Plug n play...i wil try to post a video of a guy swapping his uconnect 5 for an 8.4.
something you must be aware of, if you swap systems, ALL 3 uconnect systems in the wrangler use a different bezel

Sponsored

northernILJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Is there any update on this? Was anyone able to upgrade from the 5”?

Daytona125

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Truck driver
Hello Everyone!

Thanks in advance!
As far as I know all the radios will plug into the Jeep and work. That being said you will also need a satellite antenna for that part of the radio to work, a new bezel for the trim. And yes. The dealer will have to flash the Jeep for everything to work. At least this is the way it was in the past. I’m curious to see if it will work too, might get expensive though.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
These units are plug and play, yes, but they are not universal. The JL may be different since it doesn't come with any trim-based mechanical features that are controlled exclusively by the UConnect system. However, these units don't simply operate based on what options they see in your Jeep. They're literally programmed to accommodate the vehicle they're built for.

The video of the Challenger is a perfect example. Although he was able to swap his RA3 unit for the RA4 relatively easily, that RA4 unit had to come from a Challenger that was the same trim as his. It looks like he has a base-model V6, but if that RA4 unit had come out of an SRT or even an R/T, I don't think it would have worked.

I could be wrong, but based on UConnect upgrades and swaps from virtually every other FCA vehicle out there, the rule of thumb has been that the replacement unit has gotta come out of the same model and trim as yours.

OP
OP
thewolfman2010

thewolfman2010

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
These units are plug and play, yes, but they are not universal. The JL may be different since it doesn't come with any trim-based mechanical features that are controlled exclusively by the UConnect system. However, these units don't simply operate based on what options they see in your Jeep. They're literally programmed to accommodate the vehicle they're built for.

The video of the Challenger is a perfect example. Although he was able to swap his RA3 unit for the RA4 relatively easily, that RA4 unit had to come from a Challenger that was the same trim as his. It looks like he has a base-model V6, but if that RA4 unit had come out of an SRT or even an R/T, I don't think it would have worked.

I could be wrong, but based on UConnect upgrades and swaps from virtually every other FCA vehicle out there, the rule of thumb has been that the replacement unit has gotta come out of the same model and trim as yours.
As far as I know, this isn't true. What happens when you purchase a brand new radio that hasn't been paired to a vehicle yet? When I had a Challenger, I had to take it to the dealership and get them to program the new radio based on the features I had in my car. I'm assuming that it will be the same for this. Either someone will release a tool to let us program the features ourselves or will need to pay a dealership to program the new radio.

I guess the only time the model/trim would matter is if you were purchasing a used radio from someone else. Then the model/features would matter -- if you didn't want to get it reprogrammed.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I guess the only time the model/trim would matter is if you were purchasing a used radio from someone else. Then the model/features would matter -- if you didn't want to get it reprogrammed.
That's exactly what I was referring to. The guy in the Challenger video obviously bought his radio from a third-party vendor and such conditions were contingent on it working out of the box.

Sponsored

Willy723

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 SCREW Lariat 3.5EB, 2016 Explorer Sport, 1990 Mustang GT, 2006 HD FXDL
In the past with CJD vehicles, it's not the vehicle trim that matters, its the CANBUS system in the vehicles that mattered. Some vehicles across the brand used either a high speed or low speed system, that was what made the radio compatible between vehicles. The rest is cosmetic bezels, and computer flash for features.

the doctor

First Name
Ahitor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4 door
I’m interested but if doing the upgrade can we just go to the 8.4”?

Jordon_Taylor

First Name
Jordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I’m interested but if doing the upgrade can we just go to the 8.4”?
I believe if one is possible, so is the either. Still haven't heard of anyone to complete the upgrade though.

OP
OP
thewolfman2010

thewolfman2010

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe if one is possible, so is the either. Still haven't heard of anyone to complete the upgrade though.
I’m assuming it would be the same process, I just haven’t found the part number for the 8.4” radio yet. *Supposedly* Infotainment is working on a kit, but I haven’t heard much about it yet.

Jordon_Taylor

First Name
Jordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I’m assuming it would be the same process, I just haven’t found the part number for the 8.4” radio yet. *Supposedly* Infotainment is working on a kit, but I haven’t heard much about it yet.
From my conversations with Infotainment, they're aiming to have a kit out sometime this summer. So, I guess that just means sometime before September?
Sponsored