Sponsored

Upgrading from the 5" UConnect3 to 7" UConnect4?

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
The radio has to have the SXM receiver in it, not all do. Any radio that has it has SXM in the model number.
Gregj
Thanks, I didn't know there was an internal difference.
Sponsored

Albany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Willy's Sport 2 door manual
Isn't Sirius a stand alone option you can add to any radio? I have it on a 5". And you still have to get the antenna for Sirius.
I'll already have the Sirius antenna. My 5 inch is wired for Sirius. Reading through this thread I understood it as there are Sirius ready and am fm only versions of the unit. So much believe if I get the Sirius version it's plug and play.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I'll already have the Sirius antenna. My 5 inch is wired for Sirius. Reading through this thread I understood it as there are Sirius ready and am fm only versions of the unit. So much believe if I get the Sirius version it's plug and play.
Plug and play swap, I ran mine without the knobs for a while as I was looking for the HVAC control.

I went from 5 inch---> 5 inch with SXM---> 7 inch with SXM---> HVAC control panel swap.
Gregj

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
anybody with a 5'' with Sirius who is willing to donate or sell for cheap?... I was working on slowly upgrading my speakers with some older but better component ones I already have just to realize my unit has a burnt channel (front passenger) .. ugh... Thanks!

ChuckMalone

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys Sport
Hey everyone. First post! My 2 Door Willys Sport will be here at the end of the month and I want to rip that basic radio out as soon as I can. This thread has been great.

2 things I don't understand.....if I get the upgraded climate controls and flash it, will I be able to use the climate controls WITHOUT auto temperature? I've never used auto in any vehicle. Can I just use the upgraded climate control to get access to the volume control and manual climate controls or will if not work without the extra sensors?

Also, which model 7" radio do I need? I don't want XM or anything. Thanks!

Sponsored

BrooksC

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S 2D, 2020 Gladiator Max Tow
"Can I just use the upgraded climate control to get access to the volume control and manual climate controls or will if not work without the extra sensors?"

My experience in my Sport S was I couldn't hold any kind of temperature in auto or manual without both sensors installed. I added the cabin sensor first and eventually added the sun sensor to make it work right. Both were easy to add in Sport S. Sport looks more complicated. You can use the system in manually. That's what I do. Seems to work better.

ChuckMalone

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys Sport
"Can I just use the upgraded climate control to get access to the volume control and manual climate controls or will if not work without the extra sensors?"

My experience in my Sport S was I couldn't hold any kind of temperature in auto or manual without both sensors installed. I added the cabin sensor first and eventually added the sun sensor to make it work right. Both were easy to add in Sport S. Sport looks more complicated. You can use the system in manually. That's what I do. Seems to work better.
Interesting. Thanks.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Haven't scoured too many pages in this epic thread, but just got 7" Uconnect from a member on the site. Looking at this video it seems that you can just stuff the XM Satellite antenna (w/ associated wiring) behind the radio and get reception just as good as if you mounted it on the top of the roll bar. Anyone know if this is true? Would save me a couple hours and probably a few new 4 letter words in my vocabulary :)

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haven't scoured too many pages in this epic thread, but just got 7" Uconnect from a member on the site. Looking at this video it seems that you can just stuff the XM Satellite antenna (w/ associated wiring) behind the radio and get reception just as good as if you mounted it on the top of the roll bar. Anyone know if this is true? Would save me a couple hours and probably a few new 4 letter words in my vocabulary :)
Didn't work for me. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/adding-a-generic-sxm-antenna.79436/

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, yeah I figured that sounded too good to be true :headbang:
The good news is that all the trim is easy to remove to run it over to and down the A pillar.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

richwme90

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys 3.6, 6 Speed Manual. 2006 BMW 330i 6 Speed Manual with 258k Miles.
Here is what I paid for the parts from MCKinney Jeep in Texas and I used the JSCAN app to enable it. It appears that the prices have gone up since last year but still beter than paying $429. https://mckinney.moparestores.com/accessories/2020-jeep-wrangler_jl_4_door/
P/NQuantityPrice EADescription
6SX71DX9AA1$ 166.10CENTER STACK. Upper.
68230114AB1$ 24.47SENSOR. A.T.C. Sun, Sun. Right.
55111178AC1$ 42.35SENSOR. Temperature, Temperature Cabin Air. Export.

Swissswiss

First Name
Ibrahim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr sport s v6
Thinking of upgrading from 5” to 8.4” once my new 2021 sport s comes in but I’m a bit confused on the differences in radio sku #’s

there are 8 different sku #’s ranging in price. What are the differences and which one would I go with?
Sponsored