Sponsored

Upgrading from the 5" UConnect3 to 7" UConnect4?

Vaunswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I would encourage you to look for a radio out of a JL, as the JT uses a different backup camera and there have been reports of it not being compatible with the JL camera (the JT has a zoom feature not present in the JL).

Gregj

I couldn’t beat The price on this one, so I went ahead and purchased it. if the camera doesn’t work then I’ll just have to pay better attention when backing up. LOL
Otherwise with a little luck maybe someone with a gladiator will want to trade if all they can find is a JL radio.

Bottom line and with the info y’all have shared(attached links).
For my sport s I will need the following to take advantage of all the features of the new radio:
-replace sun sensor
- install new cabin temp sensor
-center stack vehicle temp controls below the radio

Is there any other parts things that will need to be done? Almost seems too easy....
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Is there any other parts things that will need to be done? Almost seems too easy....
If you upgrade to the dual climate controls, you will need to have the vehicle flashed. Can be done by using a Tazer, OBD JSCAN app or a visit to a dealer.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
@Vaunswa Do report back when you get it installed, curious to see if the camera works. Would also help others to know if it is an issue or not.
Gregj

P Felix

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
How do you find the right plugs and pins?
Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrading from the 5" UConnect3 to 7" UConnect4? 157F4756-B4FB-4DDF-B842-EFBF34A40CA5
Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrading from the 5" UConnect3 to 7" UConnect4? 83EEFB76-618F-4BBE-92E5-4281E50EB39F

the wires and pins are the same used on a Jk model, everywhere else was sold out - but Tasca had them, the 4 wires were a bit expensive, and one side has the connections, the other side didn’t , so you have to order the connecting pins, Mouser use to have them, but we’re out of stock when I was ordering all the parts, so instead I ordered them on EBay
Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrading from the 5" UConnect3 to 7" UConnect4? 7CA3B742-02DF-44F1-B850-C8F9E5BAA41F

Vaunswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
@Vaunswa Do report back when you get it installed, curious to see if the camera works. Would also help others to know if it is an issue or not.
Gregj
7” Radio from a Gladiator is installed on my 2019 Sport S and the backup camera works great. No glitches so far.

I was only playing with things for a second but when I put the knob to cooler I never turned the AC on but it was blowing cold, is his the wonky stuff that will happen until I make the full switch and turn on dual temp controls?

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I was only playing with things for a second but when I put the knob to cooler I never turned the AC on but it was blowing cold, is his the wonky stuff that will happen until I make the full switch and turn on dual temp controls?
It will take a few cycles for the radio to learn what options the vehicle has. It's normal. Best option is to let the vehicle actually sit for up to 24 hours after the radio install. The Uconnect radios are integrated with the vehicle's CANBUS and need to "learn" the vehicle so the proper controls, etc. are provided.

When I upgraded from a 7" to an 8.4" radio, my climate controls didn't work until I let the vehicle sit for several hours.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I swapped my radio the HVAC control worked normally, the Climate Screen in the radio did not reflect the setting on the HVAC control.

After changing The AC control panel and the setting now it works like it should. I had to wait for many weeks for the HVAC control panel to ship.

Also, you wont have "Dual Zone" AC, the passenger side temp control does nothing. To get that you would have to change out the entire AC System.
Gregj

Vaunswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
It will take a few cycles for the radio to learn what options the vehicle has. It's normal. Best option is to let the vehicle actually sit for up to 24 hours after the radio install. The Uconnect radios are integrated with the vehicle's CANBUS and need to "learn" the vehicle so the proper controls, etc. are provided.

When I upgraded from a 7" to an 8.4" radio, my climate controls didn't work until I let the vehicle sit for several hours.
since you mention that does it make sense to do a factory reset after installing? If so any idea on what is the proper way to do it since ive Read there is quite a few ways to reset it.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

since you mention that does it make sense to do a factory reset after installing? If so any idea on what is the proper way to do it since ive Read there is quite a few ways to reset it.
No need for a reset.

Vaunswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Here’s a few more questions:
-why does the compass no longer work when it did on the 5”?
-if I get the new center stack for volume control will that work along with the the heat, cool options just not the ability to use dual controls, auto climate control or if installing the center stack tazor, dealer flash is needed for it to work?

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

why does the compass no longer work when it did on the 5”?
It should.

-if I get the new center stack for volume control will that work along with the the heat, cool options just not the ability to use dual controls, auto climate control or if installing the center stack tazor, dealer flash is needed for it to work?
It won’t work without some kind of flash.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My guess at answers.
1 you need the sat antenna, the 5 inch radio had its own compass.
2 right, you will not have dual zone climate control. I believe the HVAC will work in manual mode. For the small expense of the sensors I would add them and have the auto function as well. You will need to program for the HVAC control, I recommend the JScan app as that’s what I use. I have a Tazer but it is unmarried and in the box.
Gregj

Vaunswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
It’s weird cause now the compass that’s in the instrument cluster just has a line through it and the compass on the 7” radio says it’s tying to find(or something like that).

Maybe that’s the glitch with using a JT radio instead of JL.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

you need the sat antenna, the 5 inch radio had its own compass.
Correct. Without the SAT/GPS antenna (yes, it’s a dual antenna) the compass won’t work. I should have mentioned that above.

right, you will not have dual zone climate control. I believe the HVAC will work in manual mode. For the small expense of the sensors I would add them and have the auto function as well. You will need to program for the HVAC control
You need to flash the vehicle for the new cluster to work. However, true dual zone climate control will not work. Passenger side will do nothing, so it’s best to set the system to sync. This is because even with the dual zone cluster, the ac system is not setup for it if the vehicle did not ship with it from factory.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs