Sponsored

Upgrading from the 5" UConnect3 to 7" UConnect4?

scottedontknow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 YJ, 95 YJ, 2019 JLU x2
Yes I followed that and ordered those parts..
4EE79FE6-9803-40D8-A154-96CADDD30AD2.jpeg
this is a long shot but I wonder if the 8.4 looks for more sensors than the 7" but that just doesnt seem likely. I go back to maybe you have a faulty Cabin sensor, did you test if its reading correctly?
Sponsored

Tony V

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
I upgraded to the 7 inch a couple years ago. I would like to upgrade the software because the phone ringer volume is so loud it gives me a heart attack. I would like to do this myself but the site asks for my vin. My vin is tied to the old uconnect 3. Does anyone know how to update the software?

Jack1155

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Hi all- I’ve been watching this thread for a while, but I’m just now really losing patience with the glitchy/crashing 5”. The problem is, I really prefer the knob style climate controls.. I’ve never liked auto climate, worry about it’s bad reviews in the JL/JT, don’t want to buy a new control panel and scanner, etc. etc... In an ideal world I’d love to install the 7”, keep my controls, and add a simple volume knob. I’m thinking maybe there’s a way to tap into the steering wheel volume control wires or something? Has anybody tried doing this? Thanks

scottedontknow

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 YJ, 95 YJ, 2019 JLU x2
Hi all- I’ve been watching this thread for a while, but I’m just now really losing patience with the glitchy/crashing 5”. The problem is, I really prefer the knob style climate controls.. I’ve never liked auto climate, worry about it’s bad reviews in the JL/JT, don’t want to buy a new control panel and scanner, etc. etc... In an ideal world I’d love to install the 7”, keep my controls, and add a simple volume knob. I’m thinking maybe there’s a way to tap into the steering wheel volume control wires or something? Has anybody tried doing this? Thanks
I would stay far away from trying to tap into that, too many can bus inputs and all that jazz. The 7” with upgraded center stack is super simple and you don’t need to use the auto function for

Combat Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green JL Willys
I upgraded to the 7 inch a couple years ago. I would like to upgrade the software because the phone ringer volume is so loud it gives me a heart attack. I would like to do this myself but the site asks for my vin. My vin is tied to the old uconnect 3. Does anyone know how to update the software?
You can turn the ringer volume up or down using the steering wheel volume control while it is ringing. Hope this helps.

Sponsored

Rawctoy

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I swapped my 5” stereo for the 7” set up, bought the center stack set up and a have a tazer. Can someone tell me how I use my tazer to reprogram the jeep so I can use my center stack set up? While it’s plugged in I’m only able to use the stereo function I’m not able to use any climate controls at all.

OP
OP
thewolfman2010

thewolfman2010

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (JL)
I have the opposite problem now. I flashed my jeep with the OBDGenie tool to get the climate controls working with the 7" radio. I am thinking about selling my jeep and wanted to put back the 5" radio and the old climate controls. To my surprise... they no longer work. Has anyone experienced this and got the original equipment working again? whoops :lipssealed:

Delong418

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport - Punk’n Orange
I have a 2018 Sport (no cabin temp or sun sensors and no stock wiring harness for them). Added the wiring harness and sensors. It works decently, but I still have pretty vast temperature fluctuations. Anybody with a similar setup that has the same issues and/or has resolved them?

richwme90

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys 3.6, 6 Speed Manual. 2006 BMW 330i 6 Speed Manual with 258k Miles.
I have the opposite problem now. I flashed my jeep with the OBDGenie tool to get the climate controls working with the 7" radio. I am thinking about selling my jeep and wanted to put back the 5" radio and the old climate controls. To my surprise... they no longer work. Has anyone experienced this and got the original equipment working again? whoops :lipssealed:
You have to flash it back to single manual control, I was able to go back to the original Manual control but had to use JSCan to set it back to Single MTC.

0A80219F-F32D-4C22-8253-99D2495D9E76.png

Sponsored

richwme90

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys 3.6, 6 Speed Manual. 2006 BMW 330i 6 Speed Manual with 258k Miles.
I have a 2018 Sport (no cabin temp or sun sensors and no stock wiring harness for them). Added the wiring harness and sensors. It works decently, but I still have pretty vast temperature fluctuations. Anybody with a similar setup that has the same issues and/or has resolved them?
I had similar issues with the Auto Climate stack while using heat, it seemed fine in the summer when it was hot A/C worked fine. After it cooled off and I used the heat it was either too hot or too cold. I bought the extra temperature sensors but could not find where they should have been installed.

OP
OP
thewolfman2010

thewolfman2010

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (JL)
You have to flash it back to single manual control, I was able to go back to the original Manual control but had to use JSCan to set it back to Single MTC.

Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrading from the 5" UConnect3 to 7" UConnect4? 0A80219F-F32D-4C22-8253-99D2495D9E76
Seems easy enough! Thanks for the info!!

lucasr_6

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door Sport S
Probably this has been answered a couple of times, i am just confused and overwhelmed with so many different experiences from people in the blog.
I just purchased the 7" radio from ebay (i have the code). Also, i purchased the tazer mini and the center stack.
Are these sensors only needed for the auto control to work? I am not interested in the auto control. Do i still need any sensors for the a/c to work properly?
Mine is a 2018 Sports S with the safety group.
Thanks,

Last edited:

Delong418

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport - Punk’n Orange
Probably this has been answered a couple of times, i am just confused and overwhelmed with so many different experiences from people in the blog.
I just purchased the 7" radio from ebay (i have the code). Also, i purchased the tazer mini and the center stack.
Are these sensors only needed for the auto control to work? I am not interested in the auto control. Do i still need any sensors for the a/c to work properly?
Mine is a 2018 Sports S with the safety group.
Thanks,
You still need the cabin temperature sensor and sun sensor. You may bet away with A/C working in the summer, but in the cold months it'll essentially be hot or cold, no in between

lucasr_6

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL 2 Door Sport S
You still need the cabin temperature sensor and sun sensor. You may bet away with A/C working in the summer, but in the cold months it'll essentially be hot or cold, no in between
Thanks. I actually live in miami. So i use it as cold as possible or not at all. I have no in between to be honest. So as long as it is cold, i am fine with it. Thank you so much for the reply.
Sponsored