Sponsored

Upgrading from the 5" UConnect3 to 7" UConnect4?

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
So I believe I finished reading this thread and am still confused. If I replace just the 5 inch with a 7 inch will I have to change the center stack? And will my A/C and heat still work. I am unconcerned about the compass I am reading some center stacks don't play well with the 7 inch or you have to hook up a temp sensor under the dash? Updates after upgrade. Sorry it;s going in a 2020 Sport base.
If you change from the five to the 7 inch you will not have to change the HVAC controls, unless you want the volume knob and the other functions such as mute, screen off, etc.
Otherwise you will have to change the volume via your steering wheel mounted controls. You will unfortunately lose the compass for whatever reason when you switch from the 5 to 7, the only caveat being if you have XM radio installed from the factory as that antenna serves as both a GPS and satellite radio signal receiver, so you’ll retain the compass if you have that mounted on your Sport bar. You’ll know because when you pull the radio out will be a yellow connector in the lower right hand corner that’s the XM antenna. Sorry this voice texted.
Sponsored

Delong418

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport - Punk’n Orange
So I believe I finished reading this thread and am still confused. If I replace just the 5 inch with a 7 inch will I have to change the center stack? And will my A/C and heat still work. I am unconcerned about the compass I am reading some center stacks don't play well with the 7 inch or you have to hook up a temp sensor under the dash? Updates after upgrade. Sorry it;s going in a 2020 Sport base.
With a 2020 you should already have the proper wiring harness installed for the in cabin temp sensor and sun sensor. Simply need to install the sensors (plug and play). You can install the xm antenna to maintain a compass and you’ll also get XM then (I did this and it took about 10 min without even taking off the hard top)

shelglass

First Name
Sheldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler
With a 2020 you should already have the proper wiring harness installed for the in cabin temp sensor and sun sensor. Simply need to install the sensors (plug and play)
Is this near the start button? Do I need to purchase this?

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
With a 2020 you should already have the proper wiring harness installed for the in cabin temp sensor and sun sensor. Simply need to install the sensors (plug and play)
Is this near the start button? Do I need to purchase this?
Temp sensor is under steering wheel near your right knee (behind the kick panel). Sun sensor is on the dash (it’s what allows for auto headlight control). Is yours a sport or sport s?

znakos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
With a 2020 you should already have the proper wiring harness installed for the in cabin temp sensor and sun sensor. Simply need to install the sensors (plug and play). You can install the xm antenna to maintain a compass and you’ll also get XM then (I did this and it took about 10 min without even taking off the hard top)
Is it really plug and play or will it require a flash?

Sponsored

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
Or if the dealer is willing to do it?
[/QUOTE
If you can find that knows how and is willing to do so. Report before performing my HVAC upgrade I called around to see if the dealers would be willing to do it and what they would charge at the price they quoted if they could do it was greater than purchasing a Tayser and way more expensive than getting the app and the necessary accessories for the above mentioned OB DJ scan. However three dealers told me that their “top jeep technician“ has never heard of any way possible to add to (your build sheet) an upgraded HVAC and stereo, after it has left the factory, by means of a flash.

BrooksC

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S 2D, 2020 Gladiator Max Tow
I finished the 7" and HVAC upgrade on my 2018 Sport S this morning. Somewhere in this thread it said the JScan setting was Dual Zone MTC. That didn't work on mine. For me the setting that worked was Dual Zone ATC. Pretty sure that's for Automatic Temperature Control. It's all working. Great upgrade. I have a 5" radio available if you're looking for something to smash with a hammer. :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

znakos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guys I have an issue that no one seems to have had on here from what I can see.

After installing the 7 inch screen and keeping the old center stack, I am getting issues with the HVAC not turning on immediately upon start up, and sometimes the 7 inch screen will also short (this reset my presets). Eventually both will turn on but it's either one or the other that will come on first.

Anyone experience this?

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
Guys I have an issue that no one seems to have had on here from what I can see.

After installing the 7 inch screen and keeping the old center stack, I am getting issues with the HVAC not turning on immediately upon start up, and sometimes the 7 inch screen will also short (this reset my presets). Eventually both will turn on but it's either one or the other that will come on first.

Anyone experience this?
How long has it been in your Jeep? I ask because sometimes it will require several “sleeps” (not my term) before the canbus and the new head unit fully complete their digital handshake. I would cycle on/off a few times. Some have even reported letting it sit for several hours then “poof” it works. If it doesn’t it could be a short.

znakos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There have been several sleep cycles. At least 8 since install. I installed it about a week ago.

If it's a short where could it be?

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
There have been several sleep cycles. At least 8 since install. I installed it about a week ago.

If it's a short where could it be?
have you tried to disconnect the battery, both +/- ? I would do that and let it sit for a few. It will deplete all remaining power and may help reset. If not, then I would reach out to where ever you purchased it. Was it infotainment?

znakos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
have you tried to disconnect the battery, both +/- ? I would do that and let it sit for a few. It will deplete all remaining power and may help reset. If not, then I would reach out to where ever you purchased it. Was it infotainment?
Before install I disconnected negative. I have yet to try disconnecting anything since it's been happening.

I bought it from a forum member who ran it with the old center stack with no issues. He's been pretty communicative.
Sponsored