Sponsored

Upgrading from the 5" UConnect3 to 7" UConnect4?

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Great question. I have read this entire post and the only option is to search for the VIN of a vehicle with the same specs as what you have installed and run that through the Uconnect firmware update site and see if it triggers an update.
That update would then have to be put on a USB drive and downloaded into the head unit manually.
From all of my research it seems that the 7 inch head unit does not receive many updates, if any at all. That is other than those done by the dealership which are pushed through by corporate.
The 8.4 inch head unit has more options mainly the off-road page therefore gets “routine” over the air (OTA) updates.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
I have been trying the above mentioned method without any success.
Well next time a jeep at work(valet) comes in with the 7in I'm gonna save its vin to yoink some updates if any :LOL:
Sponsored

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
Well next time a jeep at work(valet) comes in with the 7in I'm gonna save its vin to yoink some updates if any :LOL:
Trick is you have to claim the update before they do. Otherwise their VIN will show that it has been updated.
I’m told that some people go on dealership websites and look at new jeeps with their same configuration which may not have been updated yet.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Trick is you have to claim the update before they do. Otherwise their VIN will show that it has been updated.
I’m told that some people go on dealership websites and look at new jeeps with their same configuration which may not have been updated yet.
Oh see i didn’t know they’ll mark vins as updates or not. But why though

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
Oh see i didn’t know they’ll mark vins as updates or not. But why though
I am assuming that’s how their system monitors if a vehicle has been updated.

CMath23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Quick question, I upgraded to the AC controls from the 5" controls and used JScan to get them working. I'm due for an oil change, do I need to throw the old controls in and do some type of erase with JScan prior?

Sponsored

426 smartin

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2015 JK
There is no use in adding the additional duct temp sensors, since those will only be beneficial in a dual-zone setup. These sensors actually go into the air distribution box and not the actual ducts, meaning that you cannot buy the sensors apart and install them; they come installed when you buy a new air box. The air distribution box your JL has is the one for the single-zone a/c, meaning it's missing another blend door as well as the layout to support dual-zone functionality, even though the wiring diagram says you have 2 blend doors, you do not.

You can make the automatic a/c behave in a single-zone manner by syncing up the driver and passenger temperatures. However, note that independently adjusting the driver-side temperature will do nothing; the passenger-side temperature is the one that actually adjusts the temperature of the air flowing into the cabin, since the only blend door in the single-zone setup is the one on the passenger-side (crazy, I know).

Contrary to what the wiring diagrams tell you, the single-zone distribution box does have 2 of the 4 duct sensors installed and wired up. The only real sensors you're missing are the sun sensor with auto HVAC functionality and the in-cabin sensor.

Sun Sensor w/ Auto HVAC: 68230114AB
In-Cabin Sensor: 55111178AC

Connector for both the sun sensor and in-cabin sensor (they share the same connector): 13654871
Pins for sun/in-cab connector: 13580635

Pins for HVAC module connector 2: 13767047
I just got finished installing this per your instructions, everything was spot on. Went from a 5 inch to an 8.4. Made up the wiring harness per your specs. Just for anyone on the border of doing this, it went as planned. The only difficulty is having the right crimper for the pins. Used OBD JScan. Got everything to show up including Off Road pages. Thanks for the great thorough instructions and part #s.

jgdiablo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe - Turbo Blue
I just got finished installing this per your instructions, everything was spot on. Went from a 5 inch to an 8.4. Made up the wiring harness per your specs. Just for anyone on the border of doing this, it went as planned. The only difficulty is having the right crimper for the pins. Used OBD JScan. Got everything to show up including Off Road pages. Thanks for the great thorough instructions and part #s.
What crimper did you use and/or recommend?

jgdiablo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just wanted to provide a short update and a tweak that appears to be required for my car. I have a 2018 JLU Sport. As such, I don't have the in cabin temperature sensor, the sun sensor, nor the wiring harness to attach them all. As per the shopping list provided, I purchased all of the components. It turns out the sun sensor plastic cap 6GD97TX7AB is actually the wrong part number. It doesn't have the hole for the sun sensor. Based on my research, I will need to replace it with 6GD99TX7AB. Did anyone else have this issue or am I missing something?

CMath23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quick question, I upgraded to the AC controls from the 5" controls and used JScan to get them working. I'm due for an oil change, do I need to throw the old controls in and do some type of erase with JScan prior?
Anyone have any insight on this?

Sponsored

jgdiablo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone have any insight on this?
I can't say for certain, but I doubt they will even pay attention to the fact that you updated your radio/HVAC. An oil change should not trigger any concern - at least it won't for me when I need to go in for an oil change in 1000 miles.

CMath23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't say for certain, but I doubt they will even pay attention to the fact that you updated your radio/HVAC. An oil change should not trigger any concern - at least it won't for me when I need to go in for an oil change in 1000 miles.
Thank you, I appreciate the input. its more the using of JScan to get it to work that I'm concerned with. Anyone have experiences, thoughts?

jgdiablo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting couple of ideas I can suggest that I just did while installing my wiring harness, the sun sensor, and the in-cabin temperature sensor.

1. according to the instructions, you have to feed the power to the temperature sensor via the the C1 connector - pink/green and black wires. There's so little space there to maneuver and I was really uncomfortable to tap into the C1 wiring harness. I couldn't even figure out how to disconnect the C1 connector to have a little bit more room. Here's what I did - since I purchased the Quadratec 12V accessory tap a while ago for my radar detector, what I did was run my power wires for the wiring harness to the accessory tap (right by the 12V in the center console) - works like a charm, just feeds off the accessory instead of ignition. I can't imagine the cabin sensor would have much of a draw during ACC mode.

2. Since I'm waiting for the dash cap 6GD99TX7AB, I just left the sun sensor connected to the harness and left it in the footwell area, right near the in-cabin sensor. Obviously, it would keep thinking it's dark outside, but would it matter for the AUTO function? I don't have auto headlights, so what other purpose does it play? I suppose the question is - does it really need to be mounted in the dash or can it just stay connected and in complete darkness?

What do you think? My 'tweaks' make this modification A LOT simpler.

By the way, if anyone out there is uncomfortable with making the wiring harness, PM me. I have a bunch of wire, tape, connectors, etc. that I'm happy to put together. I can make a bulk purchase for the connectors and sell for a little side-hustle. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Delong418

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport - Punk’n Orange
FYI - I purchased enough wire and connectors to make 5 wiring harnesses to connect the in-cabin temperature sensor, sun sensor, and connect to C2. If anyone is looking for a wiring harness, please IM me.
He made one for me, incredibly quick and I didn’t have to bother learning to crimp those tiny pins I hate so much!
Sponsored