Sponsored

Upgrading from the 5" UConnect3 to 7" UConnect4?

CMath23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I’ve got my 7” from a 2018 Grand Cherokee. Had to dremel the radio’s bezel to make it fit. It has worked perfectly fine, other than no fakra connector for the backup camera. Lately, I’ve had the itch for an 8.4...or just say screw it and get one of the 9” Android units. As an iPhone user, I want CarPlay and as a parent with young kids and tons of kids in the neighborhood, I’d feel better with a working camera. I’m not going to drop $1300 to solve this, so I’m curious if the 8.4 Harman units or the Android ones are the way to go.
Sponsored

CMath23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You would have to build the harness for the sun sensor and the in-cabin temperature sensor in your case. I made a comprehensive write-up on how to do this exact thing a couple of days back. Give it a look if you're interested.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ensor-and-in-cabin-sensor-for-auto-a-c.48634/
I can’t figure out how swapping the climate control from the 5 inch to the one with the volume knobs will work with no flashing or tazer. My 2019 has the sun sensor and the sensor under the wheel. If I swap it, will it at least function the same way the 5” manual climate controls did?

thanks

danny01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I can’t figure out how swapping the climate control from the 5 inch to the one with the volume knobs will work with no flashing or tazer. My 2019 has the sun sensor and the sensor under the wheel. If I swap it, will it at least function the same way the 5” manual climate controls did?

thanks
There's no chance of it working without a flash to the BCM. If you were to swap your 5-inch radio controls for the automatic climate controls tack without a flash, you won't be able to turn on or adjust the a/c in any way.

CMath23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Uggh...ok, sounds like I need to bite the bullet

thanks!

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
Thought I would add my 2 cents. I recently bought a 7" with Sirius from a forum member. It was from a 2020 JLU and went into my 2019 JLU Sport. I already had a Sirius antenna installed because my previous radio was a 5" radio with Sirius.

Anyway. Installation went fine. I initially had a problem with the steering wheel volume not working but after a couple of boot cycles it works.

So far I like it. Lack of knobs will take some getting used to and I wish there was an on-screen way to mute the radio but no problems.

The Google Maps in Android Auto is pretty cool, especially when using the satellite view while off road.

Sponsored

CMath23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's no chance of it working without a flash to the BCM. If you were to swap your 5-inch radio controls for the automatic climate controls tack without a flash, you won't be able to turn on or adjust the a/c in any way.
It won't be an issue that the one I picked up has the heated seat buttons will it?

Delong418

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport - Punk’n Orange
Tazer just pushed an update that adds off-road pages. Just tested it out and seems to work great!

CMath23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great, thank you. I appreciate the help

Sponsored

P Felix

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Uconnect 7” installation complete on 2020 Jeep Wrangler JL, purchased from EastCoastMoparts-

1. 68420236AC 516.24 7” Uconnect w/o satellite

2. 6AB53TX7AA 22.29 Bezel

3. All functions that came with the 5” work: clearer and more visible back up camera, compass, radio, Bluetooth, USB device- works when connected to the front and center counsel USB connection, a better sounding system, gained Apple Carplay. Function lost, a knob to change stations, volume.

4. Drove with Carplay on, used google maps, XM, apps works perfectly, music stays on while listening to directions, couldn’t be more satisfied. See ya POS 5 inch.
Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrading from the 5" UConnect3 to 7" UConnect4? 57D47BEC-C11E-4203-90F5-51AB65EF725F
Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrading from the 5" UConnect3 to 7" UConnect4? ECF38628-1648-4323-9119-91C1506DC60C
Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrading from the 5" UConnect3 to 7" UConnect4? A761F2DD-68F5-4263-A728-2A0DE0A15FB1

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
Uconnect 7” installation complete on 2020 Jeep Wrangler JL, purchased from EastCoastMoparts-

1. 68420236AC 516.24 7” Uconnect w/o satellite

2. 6AB53TX7AA 22.29 Bezel

3. All functions that came with the 5” work: clearer and more visible back up camera, compass, radio, Bluetooth, USB device- works when connected to the front and center counsel USB connection, a better sounding system, gained Apple Carplay. Function lost, a knob to change stations, volume.

4. Drove with Carplay on, used google maps, XM, apps works perfectly, music stays on while listening to directions, couldn’t be more satisfied. See ya POS 5 inch.
Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrading from the 5" UConnect3 to 7" UConnect4? A761F2DD-68F5-4263-A728-2A0DE0A15FB1
Same. How and where did you install the XM antenna? Thank you

P Felix

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Same. How and where did you install the XM antenna? Thank you
So I purchased a XM antenna initially, which of course does not work with this Uconnect model because it doesn’t have XM as an option, (all my research for not and I basically ordered the wrong model) but I’m ok with this, I use the XM app on Carplay because I have XM on another car. I plugged all the connectors and had one blue connector where the xm connection should be in the back of this radio (see in previous pic), which should be for the compass, so I shaved one of the slots to make the newly repurposed XM antenna into a compass antenna, and retained the compass feature. I’ve installed after factory XM antennas before on my other cars and IMO, I think these antennas are incredibly resilient, so I tucked in to the right and for now it will stay there until i get tired of this and want to upgrade to the 8.4 in the future. FYI, the compass works without any issues.

CMath23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hey Guys,

I just installed my center stack HVAC controls. I used JScan and went to
Adaptation -> Miscellaneous -> HVAC Configuration and selected Dual Zone MTC + Rear.

It's still not blowing any air. Any ideas? Did I select the wrong thing?

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
hey Guys,

I just installed my center stack HVAC controls. I used JScan and went to
Adaptation -> Miscellaneous -> HVAC Configuration and selected Dual Zone MTC + Rear.

It's still not blowing any air. Any ideas? Did I select the wrong thing?
where did you get the HVAC center stack from?
Sponsored