Sponsored

Upgrading from the 5" UConnect3 to 7" UConnect4?

jeditdedn

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
This is the best thread ever. I bought my JL late last month and within just a few minutes of driving home, I realized that there was no way that I'd be able to live with the 5" uConnect 3 system, after coming from a 2017 Cherokee Trailhawk with the 8.4". So, therefore, I went to the dealer with the part numbers in this thread and upgraded my '20 Unlimited Sport yesterday with the new 8.4" uConnect 4 radio after I got off work. I'm beyond pleased and not even thinking about the loss of the volume knob. And of course, the dealer said that it wasn't possible. I paid $1,147 for the 8.4" and $27 for the bezel. Simple 5 minute upgrade.

Thanks to everyone!
Seconded! Purchased a lightly used unit from another forum member and swapped it in 5 minutes. Next step is to eventually swap the climate control unit so I get the volume knob back and it looks a tad nicer ;)
Sponsored

First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport S
Did either of you guys have issues with getting the unit to recognize CarPlay or having the back up camera not work?

Curious because you guys have the correct part number.

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Did either of you guys have issues with getting the unit to recognize CarPlay or having the back up camera not work?

I purchased a used unit off eBay and had issues with the backup camera being a green screen. CarPlay worked fine from USB 1. Sent it back and purchased a NEW 8.4. from a sponsor here on the forum. The only issue I have is the backup lines disappear occasionally. Let the Jeep sit overnight or pull fuse 97 and the backup lines come back. I’m told that software ver 28.8 will solve this issue but it’s only available through the dealer for now. My dealer will do the update but if something goes wrong with it I’m on my own. CarPlay works on USB 1 no problems. I’m happy with my choice to upgrade to the 8.4. It was worth the additional $300 for the new unit.

First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport S
I purchased a used unit off eBay and had issues with the backup camera being a green screen. CarPlay worked fine from USB 1. Sent it back and purchased a NEW 8.4. from a sponsor here on the forum. The only issue I have is the backup lines disappear occasionally. Let the Jeep sit overnight or pull fuse 97 and the backup lines come back. I’m told that software ver 28.8 will solve this issue but it’s only available through the dealer for now. My dealer will do the update but if something goes wrong with it I’m on my own. CarPlay works on USB 1 no problems. I’m happy with my choice to upgrade to the 8.4. It was worth the additional $300 for the new unit.
thanks for the reply. What sponsor?

Im leaning towards giving up on this whole junk yard 8.4 inch idea. The green back up camera is killing me.

Sponsored

Marlon_JB2

First Name
Marlon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR, 2014 Dodge Dart GT
Occupation
Jeep Builder
No issues at all.

So far, I'm okay with the manual climate controls. I never used the uConnect for climate controls even on my '17 Cherokee anyway.

jeditdedn

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport

I haven't tried Car play yet, as I'm using Android. But Android Auto comes up within 5 seconds of plugging in the USB to my phone. Automatically switches to the song that was playing when last plugged in. Backup camera works great. No issues.

Delong418

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport - Punk’n Orange
Received this from Infotainment today!

“Within the last week here we actually did finish a fix for this issue! This fix will resolve the issue with minimal work required on your part. We would like to thank you for your patience and understanding along the way.

What we have discovered is that some vehicles lack two key sensors inside the vehicle: a Cabin Air Temperature Sensor and a Sun Sensor. This is why the issue could not be replicated on our initial test vehicles and also why only some of our customers were affected.

We are happy to announce that we have the necessary parts ready to be shipped out to you, free-of-charge. You will receive an email with a tracking number shortly. Please find a short video below that will help you find the proper locations for these sensors in your vehicle.

Please note, you may still experience a short delay as you change the set temperature in your vehicle.

*Installation of one of the sensors requires two (2) additional screws, which may not be provided.

Sensor Locations: “

Make sure to contact Infotainment on the HVAC module to get the fix if you haven’t yet

Delong418

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport - Punk’n Orange
Received this from Infotainment today!

“Within the last week here we actually did finish a fix for this issue! This fix will resolve the issue with minimal work required on your part. We would like to thank you for your patience and understanding along the way.

What we have discovered is that some vehicles lack two key sensors inside the vehicle: a Cabin Air Temperature Sensor and a Sun Sensor. This is why the issue could not be replicated on our initial test vehicles and also why only some of our customers were affected.

We are happy to announce that we have the necessary parts ready to be shipped out to you, free-of-charge. You will receive an email with a tracking number shortly. Please find a short video below that will help you find the proper locations for these sensors in your vehicle.

Please note, you may still experience a short delay as you change the set temperature in your vehicle.

*Installation of one of the sensors requires two (2) additional screws, which may not be provided.

Sensor Locations: “

Make sure to contact Infotainment on the HVAC module to get the fix if you haven’t yet

I popped off my panels to check for the wiring they said should be there, and of course it is not on my 2018 JLU Sport. Reported that to infotainment this morning, we’ll see what they suggest...

danny01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I popped off my panels to check for the wiring they said should be there, and of course it is not on my 2018 JLU Sport. Reported that to infotainment this morning, we’ll see what they suggest...
You would have to build the harness for the sun sensor and the in-cabin temperature sensor in your case. I made a comprehensive write-up on how to do this exact thing a couple of days back. Give it a look if you're interested.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ensor-and-in-cabin-sensor-for-auto-a-c.48634/

Sponsored

RevJonG

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport
I know this horse has probably been beat to death more than once but if you don't mind helping me by verifying these part number would be right for a 2019 Wrangler and are the prices reasonable?

68420236AC Radio $525.80
6AB53TX7AA Bezel $22.39

About to purchase and want to make sure I understood the thread and that I don't do anything stupid

Thanks

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I know this horse has probably been beat to death more than once but if you don't mind helping me by verifying these part number would be right for a 2019 Wrangler and are the prices reasonable?

68420236AC Radio $525.80
6AB53TX7AA Bezel $22.39

About to purchase and want to make sure I understood the thread and that I don't do anything stupid

Thanks
Purchasing new? You can reach out to Benny @AllMoparParts.com . They had the best price on a new 8.4 which I purchased from him.

toogq4u2000

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL