Sponsored

Upgrading from the 5" UConnect3 to 7" UConnect4?

jbal13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
The part number is "ACCLD". I got mine from another member (@JJexp) and paid OBDGenie $50 to add extra VIN# to the programmer. I purchased the climate control stack from MyMoparParts for ~$150.

Now everything on the 7" radio works including climate controls, auto climate, etc.
I found a complete ignition and control bezel on eBay for $90. It was from LQK. I bought a 7" form Mopar. I have already install the radio and like it hell of a lot better then the 5". I going to order the OBDGenie.

jeditdedn

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Just get 7. I just did. It’s a huge improvement.

2C02ABDC-8B00-44AF-A024-65CFD7677FFF.jpeg
Looks great! Did you need an activation code or anything for the radio? Does it just plug right in? What's the part # on the 7" bezel as well? Thinking of doing the same thing as you, as I HATE the 5" radio so much, and don't know ho much longer I can hold off for true aftermarket solutions. I don't really care about losing the volume knob, as the steering wheel ones are what I use 98% of the time.

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Looks great! Did you need an activation code or anything for the radio? Does it just plug right in? What's the part # on the 7" bezel as well? Thinking of doing the same thing as you, as I HATE the 5" radio so much, and don't know ho much longer I can hold off for true aftermarket solutions. I don't really care about losing the volume knob, as the steering wheel ones are what I use 98% of the time.
@jeditdedn - we were just talking about the aftermarket solution for the head unit from Kenwood & iDatalink Maestro on the previous page.

jeditdedn

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
@jeditdedn - we were just talking about the aftermarket solution for the head unit from Kenwood & iDatalink Maestro on the previous page.
Yeah. If im doing it myself I'd prefer a more plug and play solution and that sucker would require a custom made bezel

Sponsored

CMath23

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I can’t believe there are no dash kits for an aftermarket head unit yet. As I stated earlier in the thread, I replaced my 5” Uconnect with a 2018 Grand Cherokee 7” uconnect. Had to dreamed the bezel for it to fit. However, I don’t have use of my backup camera because there’s no plug for it on the GC unit. I don’t have a clue how a camera connects on the Grand Cherokee, can’t find any info either.

graygeoff

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
I've been waiting (not very patiently) for a year and a half for someone to come out with a good/decent, fairly priced aftermarket unit. I thought about doing the alpine restyle sub/amp system...but I can't stand the 5" OEM head unit.

Looks like you can get a refurb 7" or 8.4" OEM unit, with the OBD flash tool, from infotainment (see here) https://www.infotainment.com/collec...-navigation-radio-uconnect-uaq-4c-nav-upgrade

On the downside, you lose the volume and tuning knobs...but the steering wheel controls still work. Cost is $1,000 or $1,600 depending on size and includes everything you need. If it bugs you that you don't have volume/tuning, you can buy the climate control console upgrade (scroll down the same page, I think there's a link) for around $450. That gives you the knobs AND upgrades you to digital climate control (NOTE: it will appear to have 2 zones, but only the main zone will work, because you won't have installed the dampers). It looks pretty slick.

No guarantee that it will sound that much better, but it's cheaper than the $3,000 alpine head unit. At this point, you're into it for around $2k (assuming the bigger screen). If you're not impressed with the sound, you can do the restyle sub/amp package from Alpine and now you're around $3,300. I feel like this is a better option than just doing the aftermarket Alpine head, because even though you've spent $300 more you've added an amp, sub, etc. It's a pretty slick package, fits under the passenger seat neatly tucked away. Better than putting one in the back, in my opinion. It's not going to be a bone rattling system, but I'm too old for that crap anyway!!!

SUPPOSEDLY insane audio is coming out with a head unit for the JL. A month ago the said "any day". Based on pricing of the JK model, it'll be around the same price as buying the refurb stock upgrade from infotainment. It looks to have a LOT more features, though.

I think I'm going to go stick it out a little longer and go with the insane unit once it comes out.

graygeoff

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
Just got an update from Insane!

"YES! We have an update.

Insane Audio's JL3001 will be officially launched at SEMA this year (first week of November) and we will start taking customer orders after the event. Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/insanejeepaudio and you’ll be the first to know.

The JL3001 will be compatible with all Jeep Wrangler JLs and Jeep Gladiator JTs.

For those in the industry, if you're planning to attend the SEMA show this year, visit us!
We're at the South Hall Upper
1f60a.png
"

Jgroux

First Name
J C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Installed 7” uconnect 68420237AC
Bezel 6AB53TX7AA
Central central stack 6BE28DX9AC
And used tazer JL mini to update settings.
Everything seems to be working great - except the a/c does not turn on with in “auto” mode - a/c will turn on if manually activated, turns off again when auto mode activated.
Anyone else have this issue?
Any chance tazer will address the issue?

Sponsored

Jgroux

First Name
J C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I did not buy anything from infotainment. Radio I bought new from wholesale mopar online. The climate control I bought on eBay but I am sure you can get from a wholesale mopar online as well. I didn’t buy the part new from whole sale cause they don’t have pics so I wasn’t 100%. And then I got the tazer. All working fine so far.
I upgraded radio from 5 “ to 7 “ . Plug and play easy

Upgraded the climate controls. Not plug and play. Used the tazer JL to program “dual zone”. My sport s doesn’t have dual zone so everything works you just don’t have actual dual zone. Need extra parts for that but not going to do it.

Video attached

Not the best video sorry but it works!!!

Next upgrading cluster. Already found one. Will get it in a couple of days
Have you found that the “auto” mode in your swapped central stack is not automatic holding the temp? I’ve replicated your mod, but find the auto climate mode not working - wondering if it’s the tazer programming or the climate control unit I bought that is causing the issue. Thoughts?

danny01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Installed 7” uconnect 68420237AC
Bezel 6AB53TX7AA
Central central stack 6BE28DX9AC
And used tazer JL mini to update settings.
Everything seems to be working great - except the a/c does not turn on with in “auto” mode - a/c will turn on if manually activated, turns off again when auto mode activated.
Anyone else have this issue?
Any chance tazer will address the issue?
That's normal. When in "Auto" mode, the system turns off all indicator lights on the center stack and operates everything in the background. Even though the A/C button appears to be off, rest assured that the A/C itself is functional while in Auto.

danny01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Have you found that the “auto” mode in your swapped central stack is not automatic holding the temp? I’ve replicated your mod, but find the auto climate mode not working - wondering if it’s the tazer programming or the climate control unit I bought that is causing the issue. Thoughts?
There are additional sensors which are missing in your Jeep that help the automatic temperature control system maintain a set temperature. Two of these are the sun sensor and the in-cabin temperature sensor. You'll need to install these two in order for your climate control to function correctly on Auto.

Jgroux

First Name
J C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
There are additional sensors which are missing in your Jeep that help the automatic temperature control system maintain a set temperature. Two of these are the sun sensor and the in-cabin temperature sensor. You'll need to install these two in order for your climate control to function correctly on Auto.
This is what I thought / feared - anyone know if there is a wiring harness out there - would love to see a write up like this done for the JL (assume the jk / jl harnesses are not same?)
http://www.jkfreaks.com/forums/show...uto-Temp-Control-Upgrade-Parts-for-2011-17-JK
Sponsored