Sponsored

Upgrading from the 5" UConnect3 to 7" UConnect4?

diesel1218

First Name
Derrick Andrews
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Willys
There are plenty of used/new radios available, well at least 7", haven't had any luck finding the 8.
The 7" is 1000 times better than the 5".
As of around this time yesterday there where 3 more 7" available 2 out of 2019's and one from a 2018.
the 8.4 is so worth the money.
Sponsored

Christate1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport PMC
Occupation
Nurse / Medical Examiner
Vehicle Showcase
I am interested in this as nobody has got this part working as far as I know. I have these parts in a box on the shelf:

Climate controls 6BE28DX9AC
Control module 68249814AE
also need the Sunload sensor 68230114ab I also think there is another sensor that's different located near your right knee. I haven't had time to mess with this yet or look up the schematic.

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
try https://www.moparwholesaleparts.com/ i used this site to order my 8.4". no issues even provided my vin.
After a short e-mail response they are shipping the radio (part numbers you gave me previously). Assuming there is no change between 2018 and 2019 models on the wiring harness. I think we should be good to go. Ill let you all know some time next week.

Then the question is weather or not to have the dealer flash/vin information. :/

Radio 2.JPG

danny01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Did you end up getting this to work? I'm still holding off because I want to keep volume and tune knobs.

I think what you would need is a new climate control panel (dual zone) with the volume and tune knobs on it. Then you'd need a new ECU for the HVAC. From there the AC panel would be able to send temp signals to the HVAC properly.
Even if you do order all of the parts (sensors, controls, etc) and wired them up correctly, it still wouldn't work because the BCM has to be programmed for automatic air conditioning. There is no need to buy a new HVAC module since there is only one part number for it; which is used for both manual and automatic climate systems in the Wrangler. The HVAC module simply reads configuration data from the BCM over the CAN-IHS network and reconfigures itself based on which climate setting is set. Maybe @joe@zauto can help with programming the BCM...

Christate1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport PMC
Occupation
Nurse / Medical Examiner
Vehicle Showcase
I know the sales codes need added but u still have to have the correct parts in place. As far as Z-auto goes their customer service is trash!!!

Sponsored

Jeep Creep 87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 2-Door Stick
So I contacted both my local dealer and a wholesale Mopar parts place based on the posts of this thread.

The dealer said he will not do it as the wiring harness does not support it.

The wholesale parts place said they will sell me the radios (7 or 8.4) but they do not warranty them for any particular purpose and there are no returns after the sale.

This is really turning out to be a crock of crap!

All I want is my 5 inch screen upgraded to either a 7 or 8.4 and some better speakers than the stock ones. Don't really even want to run a power amp or subwoofer as I am not 20 any more.

danny01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I know the sales codes need added but u still have to have the correct parts in place. As far as Z-auto goes their customer service is trash!!!
I do agree that Z-Auto can be difficult to work with. I have sent Joe a couple of emails regarding this topic months back, receiving zero replies in the process.

Conversion from manual a/c to automatic a/c is possible, as it has been done on Ram trucks over at the Ram forums. However, they have a scan tool called AlfaOBD which gives comprehensive control of every ECU in the vehicle. This allows you to change the setting for climate control to automatic and many other things. However, this does not allow for dual-zone functionality, since you need to change the entire HVAC housing and add another blend door, but it can add automatic single-zone which is honestly good enough. Given, you still need to buy the dedicated sun sensor and in-cabin air sensor and wire them up.

As of now, I don’t think that AlfaOBD is compatible with the 2018+ JL Wranglers, which is why we are reliant on Joe to make any sort of programming adjustments to the BCM. And we all know how reliable that can be ..

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I’ll buy it!
Here's the problem I'm running into. You can't use a "used" radio because no dealer will flash it so that it works. This is an antitheft system and even if I give the dealers the donor VIN they will not do it. You will either need aftermarket or buy a system from Infotainment that comes with the 4 digit code.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
There are plenty of used/new radios available, well at least 7", haven't had any luck finding the 8.
As of around this time yesterday there where 3 more 7" available 2 out of 2019's and one from a 2018.
Man I need your buddy! I can't find any dealer willing to flash a used one. They all say my VIN specifically says it only supports 5" :crying:

toogq4u2000

First Name
Alberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Can you send a link on where this 7” are available?

Sponsored

diesel1218

First Name
Derrick Andrews
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Willys
So I contacted both my local dealer and a wholesale Mopar parts place based on the posts of this thread.

The dealer said he will not do it as the wiring harness does not support it.

The wholesale parts place said they will sell me the radios (7 or 8.4) but they do not warranty them for any particular purpose and there are no returns after the sale.

This is really turning out to be a crock of crap!

All I want is my 5 inch screen upgraded to either a 7 or 8.4 and some better speakers than the stock ones. Don't really even want to run a power amp or subwoofer as I am not 20 any more.
I dont understand why everyone is having an issue. Use the site I mentioned. They are brand new radios, the wiring is the same unless you do not have one of the antenna and need to add it.

Fatman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU 2001 Corvette 1999 SLK 230 (2) 2004 S2000 2013 Tiguan 2014 Explorer PIU 2005 F150 2011 C-200 2012 Lexus Prius TO MANY CARS!
Occupation
Retired / BUM
you dont give them your vin, the vin from the donor vehicle is whats needed as well as the serial and model number of the new radio. Let me know if you have problems, most dealers will make you bring them the receipt and the radio in person, the code is an anti-theft security code so it kinda make sense.

Fatman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU 2001 Corvette 1999 SLK 230 (2) 2004 S2000 2013 Tiguan 2014 Explorer PIU 2005 F150 2011 C-200 2012 Lexus Prius TO MANY CARS!
Occupation
Retired / BUM
just an FYI. There are plenty of used radios out there, some dealers wither refuse to unlock or just dont want to be bothered.
If you have proof of ownership, they are required to provide the code.
Let say you had some reason to take out your radio, just for whatever reason, good excuse "I was upgrading my speakers", you now need the code for ANY radio that was in your Jeep.
When requesting the code, you provide the DONOR vehicle VIN because the radio is married to it, do not give the VIN of the vehicle you are putting the radio in.
If you strike out at all your local dealers, I have seen plenty of people on ebay offering a paid service.
Available as of an hour ago was;
2018- 7" $200.00
2019-7" $200.00 (2 available)
2019-8.4 $300.00
This is for the radio only, no bezel, no code, no sat antenna, just the radio itself along with the VIN of the vehicle they came out of.

So, here is the potential issue with used, some guy had a 5", he upgraded and activated the new radio, the radio is pulled from that vehicle assuming it goes with that VIN, obviously it doesn't, so in this case you have to eat the shipping to return the radio ($10-$15), best case you wind up like me and upgrade for 1/3rd of any other available source.

I cant name my source here because they will get bombarded with calls and this will cause a price increase, supply and demand.
If you wish to purchase one, please feel free to PM me.

salvadorsantana

First Name
SS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL, 2017 JK
just an FYI. There are plenty of used radios out there, some dealers wither refuse to unlock or just dont want to be bothered.
If you have proof of ownership, they are required to provide the code.
Let say you had some reason to take out your radio, just for whatever reason, good excuse "I was upgrading my speakers", you now need the code for ANY radio that was in your Jeep.
When requesting the code, you provide the DONOR vehicle VIN because the radio is married to it, do not give the VIN of the vehicle you are putting the radio in.
If you strike out at all your local dealers, I have seen plenty of people on ebay offering a paid service.
Available as of an hour ago was;
2018- 7" $200.00
2019-7" $200.00 (2 available)
2019-8.4 $300.00
This is for the radio only, no bezel, no code, no sat antenna, just the radio itself along with the VIN of the vehicle they came out of.

So, here is the potential issue with used, some guy had a 5", he upgraded and activated the new radio, the radio is pulled from that vehicle assuming it goes with that VIN, obviously it doesn't, so in this case you have to eat the shipping to return the radio ($10-$15), best case you wind up like me and upgrade for 1/3rd of any other available source.

I cant name my source here because they will get bombarded with calls and this will cause a price increase, supply and demand.
If you wish to purchase one, please feel free to PM me.
I wish I would have read this earlier during the day. I spent my morning calling a couple of dealers and also WHOLESALEMOPAR.COM and all gave me the same answer "sorry can not order the radio, you are stuck with what you have".

Anyways, I found someone selling an 8.4 that happened to have also a 7 with bezel and security code for $500, so I went for it. Reading now that you have some at $200 without the code makes me want to cry lol, but whatever it is what it is.

Fatman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired / BUM
You didn't get killed,that's what they are going for.
Move on and forget you saw this, it will make you much happier!
Sponsored