Sponsored

Upgrading from the 5" UConnect3 to 7" UConnect4?

diesel1218

First Name
Derrick Andrews
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Willys
that doesn't make any sense. My jeep had a working compass before I upgraded. No satellite radio. Furthermore, as I stated in an earlier post, the compass works when the Jeep is in Acc mode. But stops working when fully on.
Interesting then I have no idea. I know mine worked before and works after my upgrade with no issues.
Sponsored

cohle

First Name
Cohle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
First post, hello! Well I took the time and actually read this entire 40 page thread. Bit of a roller coaster. Bummer that prices have gone up and that FCA has locked these down. I ordered the updated 7" part number, called to confirm and was told it was in fact locked down and the website was simply incorrectly listing it as available for direct consumer sale when in reality they are reserved for warranty repairs. Then I called my local dealer and got the same answer.

So... time to get crafty. I'm rolling the dice on a 7" UConnect part #68308862AD for 2018-2019 Jeep Grand Cherokees. They are explicitly advertised as factory new, never installed, no security code required. $320 shipped here (only 1 remaining). Unless something has changed, it seems there is a lot of overlap between the FCA Uconnect systems so fingers crossed that this thing drops in and mates up no problem. To be honest the only thing I care about working is CarPlay. Not worried about updates to the head unit firmware etc. since CarPlay is updated with iOS on your phone. Almost anything will be better than this stock 5" unit. I will keep you all posted in case this becomes a viable option for others. It may also be the case that this part number is available for direct sale as well.

Edit: Also, in case anyone finds this of interest, here are the FCC pages that list the 5" unit as well as the 7" and 8.4" (these two were filed together). I found the the clear photos from all angles to be helpful.

Last edited:

Christate1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport PMC
Occupation
Nurse / Medical Examiner
Vehicle Showcase
so far I can confirm that other model screens do work. the screen from my 2017 charger scat pack works. the only difference is the bracket around the screen. Its the part the outer trim ring clicks into. If someone has a 3D printer and an use CAD they could make adapters and make a killing. If any one wants I can post some pictures of what im talking about.

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
The bezel is a separate part number. You might think that you do not need it since the screen fills up the entire space but you do. Here are the part numbers.

68295725AH -Radio-Multi Media
6AB55TX7AB - Bezel-Instrument Panel
I pulled the trigger, after reading another post that it might not go through. I was hoping to hold out for best financial reasons but if there's the possibility that they are locking orders down *sigh* I guess better get on with it. Ill keep it posted as best as I can.

On another note I am working on editing the video of my sub-woofer install and hope to have that done when I'm not studying for class or tending to the house and get that posted for others to see how easy (time consuming) it is to be done.

First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport S
my 2017 charger screen (part# 68274757AI) works in my jeep. now I just need to figure out which temp sensors it needs for the auto climate to work. so far here is what I have
Sunload sensor 68230114ab
auto A/C control module 68249814ae
switches vol/temp 6BE24DX9AC
still trying to get what else is needed
Did you end up getting this to work? I'm still holding off because I want to keep volume and tune knobs.

I think what you would need is a new climate control panel (dual zone) with the volume and tune knobs on it. Then you'd need a new ECU for the HVAC. From there the AC panel would be able to send temp signals to the HVAC properly.

Sponsored

MyJlU

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Sport
Occupation
Sr Product Line Researcher
Vehicle Showcase
First post, hello! Well I took the time and actually read this entire 40 page thread. Bit of a roller coaster. Bummer that prices have gone up and that FCA has locked these down. I ordered the updated 7" part number, called to confirm and was told it was in fact locked down and the website was simply incorrectly listing it as available for direct consumer sale when in reality they are reserved for warranty repairs. Then I called my local dealer and got the same answer.

So... time to get crafty. I'm rolling the dice on a 7" UConnect part #68308862AD for 2018-2019 Jeep Grand Cherokees. They are explicitly advertised as factory new, never installed, no security code required. $320 shipped here (only 1 remaining). Unless something has changed, it seems there is a lot of overlap between the FCA Uconnect systems so fingers crossed that this thing drops in and mates up no problem. To be honest the only thing I care about working is CarPlay. Not worried about updates to the head unit firmware etc. since CarPlay is updated with iOS on your phone. Almost anything will be better than this stock 5" unit. I will keep you all posted in case this becomes a viable option for others. It may also be the case that this part number is available for direct sale as well.

Edit: Also, in case anyone finds this of interest, here are the FCC pages that list the 5" unit as well as the 7" and 8.4" (these two were filed together). I found the the clear photos from all angles to be helpful.
Make sure you update us once you get it installed. I pretty sure I saw the same listing on eBay and thought about pulling the trigger.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Did you end up getting this to work? I'm still holding off because I want to keep volume and tune knobs.
I upgraded from the 5” to the 7” and have no issues using the volume and tune buttons on the back of the steering wheel. It’s actually nice because I’m the only mother fcker in my vehicle who can change anything HAHA works great if you have a large family. My way or the highway haha

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S

I think what you would need is a new climate control panel (dual zone) with the volume and tune knobs on it. Then you'd need a new ECU for the HVAC. From there the AC panel would be able to send temp signals to the HVAC properly.
I have those 2 items but I think there is more to it then that.

The OP was unsuccessful with those two parts.

Christate1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport PMC
Occupation
Nurse / Medical Examiner
Vehicle Showcase
Yea I got it to work I still have to use steering wheel controls. I’m working on the swap of HVAC controls/control mod as well as cluster swap. Below are some pictures of the differences in the 8.4 screen for the (1st pic) Jeep and the 8.4 from my (2nd pic)17 ScatPack. The ScatPack screen works there just isn’t a way to attach the trim ring which I circled the attachment points in red.
AFBA0F8A-DB01-4642-8A28-A5282D2E13E2.jpeg
B4A12C04-7710-4900-8A97-B547F0CF2D81.jpeg

353AB84E-0544-4FC1-BAF3-A41E67F0382D.jpeg
7F8BE615-2DFB-4FD4-AB55-E4EBB8C0F03F.jpeg
1F7ED84E-0371-4B91-BD5D-F716535DB74C.jpeg
C76D56E8-5BC7-48B5-9E95-4F72B8FC86CA.jpeg

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Here is the response I received from WholesaleMopar. I responded because it sounds like they just do not have a shipment in at this time.

Mopar.JPG

Sponsored

Fatman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU 2001 Corvette 1999 SLK 230 (2) 2004 S2000 2013 Tiguan 2014 Explorer PIU 2005 F150 2011 C-200 2012 Lexus Prius TO MANY CARS!
Occupation
Retired / BUM
received my 7" yesterday, buddy got me the security code, install took all of 10 minutes, figuring out how to use all the features will take some time.
Sir/xm was working in demo mode and was in the dealers name, called them and they started my free year sub as of today which unlocked all of the stations. All total for the radio, bezel, sat antenna and wire I'm into the swap for right around $250.00.
There initially was some mixup and I was sent a 5" with sir/xm but they made it right and sent the correct radio.
All is good

diesel1218

First Name
Derrick Andrews
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Willys
I pulled the trigger, after reading another post that it might not go through. I was hoping to hold out for best financial reasons but if there's the possibility that they are locking orders down *sigh* I guess better get on with it. Ill keep it posted as best as I can.

On another note I am working on editing the video of my sub-woofer install and hope to have that done when I'm not studying for class or tending to the house and get that posted for others to see how easy (time consuming) it is to be done.
I don't know how the order won't go through unless you are ordering through the dealer. No idea where the above ordered. The unofficial mopar site seem to have no issues. Like I said earlier, my order shipped by the next day I ordered it.

Fatman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU 2001 Corvette 1999 SLK 230 (2) 2004 S2000 2013 Tiguan 2014 Explorer PIU 2005 F150 2011 C-200 2012 Lexus Prius TO MANY CARS!
Occupation
Retired / BUM
There are plenty of used/new radios available, well at least 7", haven't had any luck finding the 8.
The 7" is 1000 times better than the 5".
As of around this time yesterday there where 3 more 7" available 2 out of 2019's and one from a 2018.

pichenet

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
I’m working on the swap of HVAC controls/control mod as well as cluster swap.
I am interested in this as nobody has got this part working as far as I know. I have these parts in a box on the shelf:

Climate controls 6BE28DX9AC
Control module 68249814AE
Sponsored