Upgrading from 5” unconnect 3 to 8.4” uconnect 4

diesel1218

First Name
Derrick Andrews
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Hi I am looking at upgrading my 5” to the 8.4” uconnect on a 2019 JL. Has anyone had an experience doing this?

I have seen a post on the 7” upgrade and looks like various part numbers for the bezel and radio. Not sure if anything is different with the 8.4”. I assume you still have to find a dealer willing to flash after you install the radio.
Sponsored

OP
OP
diesel1218

diesel1218

First Name
Derrick Andrews
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bumping and watching this thread. Considering the same upgrade.
I have ordered the parts they will be here Wednesday. Ordered the 8.4" with GPS, bezel, and LTE antenna.

EarlThe3rd

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I have ordered the parts they will be here Wednesday. Ordered the 8.4" with GPS, bezel, and LTE antenna.
Nice, looking forward to your report. Where did you order from, and any thought to changing out the climate control panel and adding the temperature sensors, so you'd have a working volume control besides on the wheel?

OP
OP
diesel1218

diesel1218

First Name
Derrick Andrews
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice, looking forward to your report. Where did you order from, and any thought to changing out the climate control panel and adding the temperature sensors, so you'd have a working volume control besides on the wheel?
I ordered from https://www.moparwholesaleparts.com it was very simple and fast. I have thought about the climate controls but didn’t feel i needed to do it right away. I want to get any issues resolved with the radio first, making sure it can be tied to my VIN, and the Sirius trial transfers fine.

Sponsored

OP
OP
diesel1218

diesel1218

First Name
Derrick Andrews
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did the upgrade today, very easy install. Wiring for the LTE antenna was the toughest part and I am not sure how valuable it is to have that.

BF9573B4-9762-4396-AE4A-3FCC53C3ED81.jpeg

0F386957-C7C5-4DCA-BC66-AD6CCDE4626F.jpeg

EarlThe3rd

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did the upgrade today, very easy install. Wiring for the LTE antenna was the toughest part and I am not sure how valuable it is to have that.

BF9573B4-9762-4396-AE4A-3FCC53C3ED81.jpeg

0F386957-C7C5-4DCA-BC66-AD6CCDE4626F.jpeg
That's awesome. Any flash needed from the dealer, or anything to transfer from Sirius? What functionality is not usable, if any?

OP
OP
diesel1218

diesel1218

First Name
Derrick Andrews
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's awesome. Any flash needed from the dealer, or anything to transfer from Sirius? What functionality is not usable, if any?
I haven’t brought it to the dealer yet, but if you want to be able to get the OTA or downloadable software updates you need to bring it in and have them flash it for your vin. I transferred my 12 month Sirius with no problem right away. Haven’t played with all the apps and my LTE antenna isn’t arriving till Friday I just pre wired it to the radio. I dont knowing that thing is even needed.

I noticed the HVAC reads and you manually adjust, it would be nice to have the temp controls but I always have my doors off anyway. I will have to play around with it some more. I just installed and activated my Sirius really so far.

OP
OP
diesel1218

diesel1218

First Name
Derrick Andrews
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You mind sharing the specific part numbers you got from https://www.moparwholesaleparts.com ?
Sure, here are the part numbers for the radio and bezel.

68295725AH -Radio-Multi Media
6AB55TX7AB - Bezel-Instrument Panel

Drove to work this morning with Waze via CarPlay and I just love it. I also noticed that this particular radio was produced in April 2019 so it has to be the newest release.

Sponsored

EarlThe3rd

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure, here are the part numbers for the radio and bezel.

68295725AH -Radio-Multi Media
6AB55TX7AB - Bezel-Instrument Panel

Drove to work this morning with Waze via CarPlay and I just love it. I also noticed that this particular radio was produced in April 2019 so it has to be the newest release.
Awesome, so no regrets, I suppose. I'm about to pull the trigger myself. What about the LTE antenna, the latest part number? Or if I skip the LTE functionality, will there be a bunch of error messages or inconveniences to drive my OCD over the edge?

OP
OP
diesel1218

diesel1218

First Name
Derrick Andrews
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome, so no regrets, I suppose. I'm about to pull the trigger myself. What about the LTE antenna, the latest part number? Or if I skip the LTE functionality, will there be a bunch of error messages or inconveniences to drive my OCD over the edge?
No regrets here at all. So happy to have CarPlay back. I traded in a C7 Corvette for the Jeep and I had CarPlay in that, used it every day. You can go cheaper with the 7" screen, but to me, if you are doing it, might as well get the 8.4.

I bought the LTE due to my OCD too. However I do not have it installed yet, it is coming tomorrow. No error messages on the screen at all. I just prewired the cable for the LTE so I didn't have to do it later and pull the radio again. Let me tell you finding the cable is tough, I ordered one off of Amazon which has the GPS connectors on the cable. I followed this guys post here. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/7”-to-8-4”-additional-info.14903/

Honestly, I think the LTE antenna is for all the remote things you can do with guardian and uconnect which unless your car has those features (remote start, mirrors with SOS buttons, etc..) it is useless except for the wifi hotspot, which who uses that? The only reason I bought it was because I am not sure how OTA updates are delivered to the radio. Apparently only the 8.4 is able to receive the OTA updates and I would assume it is due to the LTE antenna, but don't know for sure. If you watch the infotainment video, they don't plug an LTE antenna in.

LTE antenna - 68293962AA

OP
OP
diesel1218

diesel1218

First Name
Derrick Andrews
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Read in another forum the OTA updates come in via the Sirus antenna, not the LTE. SO unless you plan on using guardian, i would skip the LTE antenna.

EarlThe3rd

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Read in another forum the OTA updates come in via the Sirus antenna, not the LTE. SO unless you plan on using guardian, i would skip the LTE antenna.
Good to know. Thanks again for all the information. Very helpful.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
This is very helpful diesel1218!

Would you mind sharing the cost all in? And do you think a dealer would be willing to do the installation?
Sponsored