Upgrading 5” stereo to 7”?

Jayden_norton

First Name
Jayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 door Jeep Wrangler
Has anyone successfully upgraded their 5” stereo to the 7”? Please share!
Sponsored

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
I have. Its plug and play. Took about 5 mins. I have a 7” for sale too if interested.
it is very simple. Don’t even think about just do it!

JLBeast

First Name
Dozi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S
Can you send pictures of yours in the Jeep and the one for sell? Thanks!
I upgraded to the 8.4” last night so dont have it in the jeep anymore thats why its up for sale. I can send you pics of when i had it installed. Please Send me a PM

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jayden_norton

First Name
Jayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 door Jeep Wrangler
I upgraded to the 8.4” last night so dont have it in the jeep anymore thats why its up for sale. I can send you pics of when i had it installed. Please Send me a PM
I can’t figure out how to PM you

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

frankisme92

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Door
To save everyone time in what to buy I have include the numbers below. I’ve installed the radio with Sirius XM and it works. Note you need to have Sirius XM prior to the install if you don’t then you need to buy the antenna. Sirius XM will transfer your subscription or your trial if it’s new but there is a $15 swap fee. The center stack AC will only work if you use the JL Tazer. I would also recommend buying the temperature cabin sensor. If you are wondering if this will work, yes it will. I have a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 Door.

Center Stack: 6BE28DX9AC
Radio W/ XM: 68428547AD
Bezel: 6ab53tx7aa
Temperature Cabin Air Sensor: 55111178ac

JL TAZER MINI

243909DF-994F-4250-86ED-916990338564.jpeg

ironmanatx

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sport S
Hi Team, I want to clarify to make sure I understand. I'm looking at buying a Sport S with the base 5" radio with manual controls and no apple carplay.

You're saying that I can just buy the parts for the 7", and it's just plug and play? I thought I had read somewhere else there were features that did not work? Is that not true? I would love to save some cash and install this myself as I have a fair amount of experience installing stereos and feel comfortable doing it for sure.

frankisme92

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Door
Hi Team, I want to clarify to make sure I understand. I'm looking at buying a Sport S with the base 5" radio with manual controls and no apple carplay.

You're saying that I can just buy the parts for the 7", and it's just plug and play? I thought I had read somewhere else there were features that did not work? Is that not true? I would love to save some cash and install this myself as I have a fair amount of experience installing stereos and feel comfortable doing it for sure.
The radio is plug and play but the center stack isn’t. You need to purchase a JL tazer to turn on the ac settings and you need buy the air temp sensor so that your ac settings work properly. You can purchase those parts that I’ve listed from any Mopar wholesale Website or you can use infotainment but their equipment is used. I installed all of the equipment listed and it works for me.

Sponsored

Vaunswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
If I just swap the radio, from 5 to 7” I realize that I would lose the volume knob(steering wheel only) but would everything else work? As in the AC and heat but it would still rely on manually controlling the temperature.

Liberty0rDeath

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
If I just swap the radio, from 5 to 7” I realize that I would lose the volume knob(steering wheel only) but would everything else work? As in the AC and heat but it would still rely on manually controlling the temperature.
Yes everything else works (I swapped mine a couple of weeks ago).

The confusion lies in switching out the HVAC controls (to regain a volume knob), for the AUTO (AC) feature to work, the new HVAC controls must be added with a programmer as well the additional temperature sensor.

You DO NOT lose any function with just the head unit upgrade other than the before mentioned volume knob (steering wheel control works just fine in my opinion, and I can easily pause the songs for instant mute because I stream most of music).

Vaunswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler

The confusion lies in switching out the HVAC controls (to regain a volume knob), for the AUTO (AC) feature to work, the new HVAC controls must be added with a programmer as well the additional temperature sensor.

You DO NOT lose any function with just the head unit upgrade other than the before mentioned volume knob (steering wheel control works just fine in my opinion, and I can easily pause the songs for instant mute because I stream most of music).
Security code needed like the old uConnect 430 units from the JK’s?

Thats not too bad then. Now to find someone in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area that’s planning on upgrading and wants to sell.

Liberty0rDeath

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Security code needed like the old uConnect 430 units from the JK’s?

Thats not too bad then. Now to find someone in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area that’s planning on upgrading and wants to sell.
Yes you will need a code if your purchasing a used unit, not needed if it is a brand new not previously installed unit.
Check the forums here and Facebook marketplace. A member tipped me off about one on there that I picked up.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0

So as long as i’m not using auto ac, the stock sport center stack will work just fine until i buy the center stack with the volume control?
Sponsored