Sponsored

Upgraded Steering componentes for Jeep JL Rubicon (STOCK height)

dperez10147

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR 2019
Hi guys, I haven’t found a forum on this so apologies if there is, Got a 2019 Rubi with 35”s (no lift) and been experiencing some wander and play in the wheel, even before going to 35”s. (Previously on Ko2s 33”) Already got it aligned , but still have some at higher speeds. decided to order steersmarts adj. track bar and steersmarts sector shaft brace. Should I upgrade the rear track bar as well? Also thinking of adding a Falcon 2.2 and steersmarts drag link and tie rod as well. Any feedback or advice would help greatly, as I want rhis thing to handle as best as possible, especially on highway.
Sponsored

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
Do you have the new steering box? Should be cast steel, not aluminum.

OP
OP
dperez10147

dperez10147

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR 2019
Do you have the new steering box? Should be cast steel, not aluminum.
Yeah I forgot to mention it came with the new steering box already. I bought it used at 28,000. The owner had the TSB preformed.

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
I would check that everything is tight. Had loose ball joints on my rubicon when brand new.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dperez10147

dperez10147

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR 2019

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I second the LCA’s. No mods needed. Just the arms, a torque wrench and 💪🏼
I started off similar. Stock Jeep, added LCA’s then front tracbar.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
First off, make sure your tire pressure isn't too high. Depending on your specific tire ratings and the weight of your specific Jeep, 30-32 is a good starting point if they are set higher than that.

Too low of a caster angle will cause wandering and difficulty with tracking a straight line. The mopar lift kit arms are 1/4" longer and will help. If you do swap out the front lowers, also loosen the uppers until the new arms are in, than retorque all 8 mounting points. Reason for loosening the uppers is because the longer lowers will rotate the axle. If ignored, the upper rubber bushings will always be in a tensed state at ride height which will hyper wear them. Optimally, all rubbers are in a neutral state at ride height and all 4 tires on the ground.

I would most certainly upgrade the tie rod and drag link while it's apart for the track bar. Factory steering linkages, control arms, and track bars are constructed of thin-walled material that can flex during on and off road use resulting in a mushy feel between the steering wheel and the ground. Those parts are barely sufficient for factory tire sizes. I would stick to beefing up the front end and see how it feels before climbing further down the rabbits hole of modification.

OP
OP
dperez10147

dperez10147

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR 2019
Appreciate all the responses guys. Went ahead and ordered the Mopar LCAs also, gonna have to wait on the tie rod, drag link and stabilizer, since I already spent what I was willing to on mods for the Jeep this month 😂. But once everything is in I’ll be installing the LCAs, track bar, and sector shaft brace. Also read somewhere that Toyo recommends rubbing them at 34-35 psi so I’ll try that and go lower if needed.

OP
OP
dperez10147

dperez10147

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR 2019
Appreciate all the responses guys. Went ahead and ordered the Mopar LCAs also, gonna have to wait on the tie rod, drag link and stabilizer, since I already spent what I was willing to on mods for the Jeep this month 😂. But once everything is in I’ll be installing the LCAs, track bar, and sector shaft brace. Also read somewhere that Toyo recommends rubbing them at 34-35 psi so I’ll try that and go lower if needed.
I have Toyo Open Country AT3”s

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
But once everything is in I’ll be installing the LCAs, track bar, and sector shaft brace. Also read somewhere that Toyo recommends rubbing them at 34-35 psi so I’ll try that and go lower if needed.
Right there’s your problem, your rubbing them, causing them to swell and making your rig wander all over the place……:)

OP
OP
dperez10147

dperez10147

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR 2019
Right there’s your problem, your rubbing them, causing them to swell and making your rig wander all over the place……:)
Hahaha dang really didn’t let my typo slide there huh? Sick pfp btw

Sarathzzz

First Name
Sarath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl
how is the steering after installing all those?
Will just an aftermarket tie rod fix the loose steering ?
Sponsored