Upgraded Sahara tire options

FPD

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 grand Cherokee overland, 2009 porsche 911 Turbo cab
Which upgraded tires are You choosing on Sahara orders and why? Duelers or Goodyear wrangler w/ Kevlar? Tire rack reviews are pretty similiar for both
Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Ko2s if possible, they’re the best non winter AT tire for snow

Les-Boots

First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I’m leaning towards Goodyear Duratrac’s, which have a snow tire rating, but aren’t as good as a straight winter tire, so I’ll likely get a set of winter tires also.

KO2’s and Duratrac seem to be very similar. Good All Terrain tires, not as noisy as Mud Terrain, but a bit beefier than stock.

I would like to go a slight bit bigger though, so I’ve been exploring different sizes.

I don’t want a big fat tire, just a bit taller, and maybe a bit wider. I don’t want the tire to protrude from the wheel-well.

It comes with 255/70R18 ~ 32” tall

I’m considering 275/70R18 ~ 33.5” tall & 1” Wider than stock.

Also considering 295/65R18 ~ 33” tall & 1.5” Wider than stock. From what I can find this seems like an uncommon tire size, so there aren’t a lot of options.

I’m new to the Jeep world, and new to jeep tires.

Guidance and corrections always welcome.

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver 2018 JLUS!, 2016 Tahoe
This is hopefully the setup I am going to use on the Sahara I will order.

IMG_0064 (2).PNG

IMG_0062 (2).PNG

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I’m leaning towards Goodyear Duratrac’s, which have a snow tire rating, but aren’t as good as a straight winter tire, so I’ll likely get a set of winter tires also.

KO2’s and Duratrac seem to be very similar. Good All Terrain tires, not as noisy as Mud Terrain, but a bit beefier than stock.

I would like to go a slight bit bigger though, so I’ve been exploring different sizes.

I don’t want a big fat tire, just a bit taller, and maybe a bit wider. I don’t want the tire to protrude from the wheel-well.

It comes with 255/70R18 ~ 32” tall

I’m considering 275/70R18 ~ 33.5” tall & 1” Wider than stock.

Also considering 295/65R18 ~ 33” tall & 1.5” Wider than stock. From what I can find this seems like an uncommon tire size, so there aren’t a lot of options.

I’m new to the Jeep world, and new to jeep tires.

Guidance and corrections always welcome.

What's the max tire width for these stock 7.5's? 255 is already 10 inches. Are the width rules different for AT tires?

Sponsored

Les-Boots

First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
What's the max tire width for these stock 7.5's? 255 is already 10 inches. Are the width rules different for AT tires?
255 includes the sidewall, or at least a portion of the sidewall. The width of the tread making contact with the road is different.

Do some browsing on tirerack or another tire site, they will break down the data a little further for you.

The stock tire is 255/70R18 - the tread width varies per tire - but it's about 8-8.4"

snelldogg

First Name
greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GC Sahara ETA 2/3
aev.jpg

What do we think of these on a Granite Sahara with 285/70-17 KO2s
Sponsored