Sponsored

Upgraded interior dome lighting to Rigid Industries

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Yep, I got the brawlee installed but i'm running a soft top currently and probably for some time until it gets colder. Definitely recommend the brawlee!
Ah got ya. I’m about to order one myself.

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Thanks for the post OP

ABar112

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 2016 Hyundai Veloster Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the write up! I am about to do this to mine and looking for a wiring diagram came across this. Made me chuckle because with out this post, I would have gone the same way you did with the wiring lol. We have the same luck!!

Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
OP... you did a nice job with this mod. Looks like a clean install. I am thinking bought doing something similar. I check with the parts guy and you can replace that section for $60 so If I screw it up I'm only out $60 and some time.

smtp295

First Name
SMTP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Thanks for the post. I believe you can switch the lights off with the lamp trim switch right ?

ABar112

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
A few pics showing the light gain from my install.

IMG_20200215_063753_947.jpg

IMG_20200122_185131.jpg

fyr145

First Name
Lon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Public Safety - (ret.)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I also did the LED upgrade for the interior lighting as well but I chose to do the back crossbar for the 2nd-row seats and cargo area. I wanted to see just how much light that creates for me in the front area before I add more lights on the main dome light crossbar. I do like the mod. If I do opt for the additional lights upfront I was considering getting a couple of red-colored LED lights for the front. For mainly 2 reasons; 1. too many white leds in such close proximity might washout the entire interior. 2. having red leds adds a bit of interior color being that my JL is red already anyway.

Anyway, the install went pretty easy. I removed the 7 screws (4 in the back, 3 in the front) and removed the cover by pulling straight down and taking it to the workbench. Then using the holes on the LED itself as a template, I eyeballed the approximate distance between the edge of the cover to the center light so that they look symmetrical from each other on the bar itself. I drilled the holes (1/4") and got them mounted like the pics from the OP shows on this photo. Then I removed the wiring from the factory rear led light and spliced the 2 leds inline with the dome wiring. Then I tested the lights before reinstalling and they worked perfectly. Install was the opposite of removal, put the 7 screws back in and retested just to be sure. Oh, I didn't get the Rigid lights, that was kinda expensive for what the plans where for them. I do like Rigids' lights tho.
I would post pics but mine are mostly as others have already done. If there is a need for a specific shot, PM me and I can do one for you.

Nice little mod, I was done in about an hour or so.

mcaudill

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Adam, Did you use the Rigid A Series lights? Looks like your getting plenty of light. Can you tell me how many you used and where you placed them? Thanks.

Sponsored

ABar112

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I used two in the front and the back. Hopefully the pictures give you a good idea where I placed them at on the roll bars. I use the Ampper lights off Amazon. You can get different quantities and colors. These are just their white ones and honestly I probably could have used just one in both spots as they are pretty bright. I also use these as rock lights and just at under a year for use and they have been solid, no issues.

IMG_20200502_175659.jpg

IMG_20200502_175641.jpg

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
@ABar112 I use lights like that as backup lights, they must be bright inside!

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase