Sponsored

Upgraded Front Upper Control Arm Bushings?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have almost completed my MC GC lift and was wondering what all of you are doing for the front upper control arm bushings on the axle.

Are you replacing them with OEM bushings periodically or are there some better aftermarket ones out there?
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've been hoping Currie Rock Jock releases the JL version of their Johnny Joint bushings for the axle upper control arm mounts. I had these on my TJ and they are very much worth the cost and install hassle.

Other than Currie, I haven't seen any other manufacturer offer a better than stock bushing for this location.

I'm a firm believer in thinking the stock upper control arm axle bushings lead to front end shimmy, especially on Jeeps which see a lot of front end articulation. The Clevite style bushings don't like the rotation/flexing from articulation.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've been hoping Currie Rock Jock releases the JL version of their Johnny Joint bushings for the axle upper control arm mounts. I had these on my TJ and they are very much worth the cost and install hassle.

Other than Currie, I haven't seen any other manufacturer offer a better than stock bushing for this location.

I'm a firm believer in thinking the stock upper control arm axle bushings lead to front end shimmy, especially on Jeeps which see a lot of front end articulation. The Clevite style bushings don't like the rotation/flexing from articulation.
Thanks @limeade. I will just grab some new OEMs, they are cheap enough at $9.00 each.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks @limeade. I will just grab some new OEMs, they are cheap enough at $9.00 each.
Have you ever changed them out? If not, prepare for quite a bit of work. Try raising the Jeep, supporting the frame with jack stands, and letting the axle droop as much as possible to give you room to work. Once they're out, driving the new ones in are pretty easy.

Good luck!

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Have you ever changed them out? If not, prepare for quite a bit of work. Try raising the Jeep, supporting the frame with jack stands, and letting the axle droop as much as possible to give you room to work. Once they're out, driving the new ones in are pretty easy.

Good luck!
I plan to do it as part of installing a lift kit so it will be up in the air anyway.

Sponsored

4LOWYO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 TJ Sport
You may want to check out TeraFlex, I thought they made their IR bushings for the housing.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I contacted Travis at Currie Rock Jock to see if they have any plans to release a JL front UCA housing bushing kit. Travis said he wasn't sure, but will look into it. Specifically, they are looking at if their JK kit will work for the JL. I'll post updates if/when I get them.

For me, I am waiting to see what Currie is going to do as I prefer to use their Johnny Joints in the housing vs. the stock bushings.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I heard back from Currie-Rock Jock and they do have a JL kit available. They've been under-staffed due to COVID and have been behind in getting these posted on their website. They have a total of 6 kits available as of now. They did warn me they are still finishing up the installation instructions, so shipping might be delayed until they're done.

Unlike the TJ and JK kits, there is no cutting and welding. You simply drive out the stock bushings and drive in the new Johnny Joint bushings (install drive tool is included). They are $199.99 ea, plus shipping.

Better get yours soon if you want one, as I ordered two kits.

https://www.rockjock4x4.com/rj-301000-103

Jeep Wrangler JL Upgraded Front Upper Control Arm Bushings? 0016021_rj-301000-103-jeep-jljt-frontend-housing-johnny-joint-kit

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
I heard back from Currie-Rock Jock and they do have a JL kit available. They've been under-staffed due to COVID and have been behind in getting these posted on their website. They have a total of 6 kits available as of now. They did warn me they are still finishing up the installation instructions, so shipping might be delayed until they're done.

Unlike the TJ and JK kits, there is no cutting and welding. You simply drive out the stock bushings and drive in the new Johnny Joint bushings (install drive tool is included). They are $199.99 ea, plus shipping.

Better get yours soon if you want one, as I ordered two kits.

https://www.rockjock4x4.com/rj-301000-103

Jeep Wrangler JL Upgraded Front Upper Control Arm Bushings? 0016021_rj-301000-103-jeep-jljt-frontend-housing-johnny-joint-kit
Did you ever install these? Any updates?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, I know you aren’t asking me, but I have them in, about 4 months now. They work great. Not a lot more flex, but a little, the main thing is durability. I could see the rubber in the oem stretching and getting dry rot, leading to unwanted lateral movement.

I don’t feel that much difference because the other end of my arm has a heim joint, so it flexes there as well. If you have a clevite style bushing on the frame end then the difference will be more noticeable. All in all they’re working great and adds to my never ending quest for flex...🤣....I would recommend them.

Jeep Wrangler JL Upgraded Front Upper Control Arm Bushings? B37E3C47-C54B-4188-9000-84D50F7DBC4A

here’s old vs new....

Jeep Wrangler JL Upgraded Front Upper Control Arm Bushings? 46452492-533D-4291-92B2-34B337BD0122
Jeep Wrangler JL Upgraded Front Upper Control Arm Bushings? A8B46E21-C3DC-4967-8387-65A08144CB8E

Sponsored

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, I know you aren’t asking me, but I have them in, about 4 months now. They work great. Not a lot more flex, but a little, the main thing is durability. I could see the rubber in the oem stretching and getting dry rot, leading to unwanted lateral movement.

I don’t feel that much difference because the other end of my arm has a heim joint, so it flexes there as well. If you have a clevite style bushing on the frame end then the difference will be more noticeable. All in all they’re working great and adds to my never ending quest for flex...🤣....I would recommend them.

Jeep Wrangler JL Upgraded Front Upper Control Arm Bushings? A8B46E21-C3DC-4967-8387-65A08144CB8E

here’s old vs new....

Awesome thank you! I’m confident I’ll end up upgrading to these eventually. I don’t see any other options either.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I did....in one of my Jeeps. Haven't done the other yet.

I could tell you the same thing @Roky did, but he is more eloquent than me! :rock:

An additional reason I use them was to get rid of every single Clevite bushing on my Jeep. If you're going to use your Jeep off-road and flexing the suspension, those Clevite bushings won't last long and will cause poor handling and steering. I think the Rock Jock UCA bushings are the "missing link" when it comes to installing a "complete" suspension system.

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase

I could tell you the same thing @Roky did, but he is more eloquent than me! :rock:

An additional reason I use them was to get rid of every single Clevite bushing on my Jeep. If you're going to use your Jeep off-road and flexing the suspension, those Clevite bushings won't last long and will cause poor handling and steering. I think the Rock Jock UCA bushings are the "missing link" when it comes to installing a "complete" suspension system.
I have a little bit of a shimmy recently, and I was wondering if that was maybe the culprit after a few trips to moab and windrock

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have a little bit of a shimmy recently, and I was wondering if that was maybe the culprit after a few trips to moab and windrock
It could be. Could also be loose bolts, etc. I had a shimmy in my lifted TJ and tried everything. Once I put in the Rock Jock UCA kit (gotta weld them in on TJ's), the shimmy went away. The stock Clevite bushings were torn and looked like garbage. I did these on my JLUR as a Prevantative Measure.

Zipp

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport
Will these work in other locations besides just the front upper? Looking at a set of RK control arms, and they have a similar joint in all but the front and rear uppers on the axle

Sponsored