Sponsored

Upgrade to 8.4, does ORP require SGW bypass to work?

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I upgraded my 7" UConnect to the 8.4" and upgraded to latest firmware in my 2021 Sport S. Also enabled "Off Road Pages" with JSCAN (wasn't sure what Off-Road Capable was so left that alone).

Anyway, in the fullness of time Off-Road Pages shows up in the applications on the head unit. All the displays work, but when on the middle (gauges) screen, I get no data for Coolant Temp, Oil Temp and Oil Pressure. Battery voltage and Trans Temp do show up though.

Anyone else seen this or have any idea why I'm only getting some of the gauges? The same gauges work fine in the normal LCD screen between the tach and the speedometer.

Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrade to 8.4, does ORP require SGW bypass to work? IMG_4543
Sponsored

OP
OP
Chupacabra

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Well, I spoke to soon. This morning it's back to only the two working gauges again on Off Road Pages.

Not sure what else to try? Maybe use JSCAN to reset all ECUs?

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
I disconnected my 8.4 a few times when I was trying to replace the radio with a Pioneer and the first repower took almost a day for everything to come back. Second repower was a bit faster. Maybe disconnect the battery?

OP
OP
Chupacabra

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I disconnected my 8.4 a few times when I was trying to replace the radio with a Pioneer and the first repower took almost a day for everything to come back. Second repower was a bit faster. Maybe disconnect the battery?
I disconnected the main ground when I installed it, thinking that would disconnect the system. However, when I accidentally hit the emergency flashers they came on, so it was still drawing power from the little battery obviously. Not even sure how I'd truly disconnect power on this thing.

I've also seen reference to pulling the fuse to the radio to do a full power reset, I may try that once I figure out which fuse(s) that is.

Sponsored

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is how I disconnected the battery when I pulled my computer for the tune. Way too many steps just to disconnect the battery but that's "progress".....

Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrade to 8.4, does ORP require SGW bypass to work? IMG_2737

OP
OP
Chupacabra

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Here is how I disconnected the battery when I pulled my computer for the tune. Way too many steps just to disconnect the battery but that's "progress".....

Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrade to 8.4, does ORP require SGW bypass to work? IMG_2737
Thanks for the info. I just removed #1 but now that I look at it closer I can see that the aux battery was still obviously connected by doing that.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's what I figured. Hope you get it working. Mine 8.4 came with it and it has some issues like Carplay not starting up properly or a song ends on a playlist that is on random-repeat and it will not advance to the next song unless I hit the button on the steering wheel.

OP
OP
Chupacabra

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
That #2 bolt is tight AF, almost tore off the IBS the first time not realizing how thing that metal strip is. I just left it alone for now.

I am trying a second reboot of the radio per JSCAN support, it's actually working right now - all 5 gauges have live data. But the real test is will it continue to work after it sits for a while. I'll know later tonight.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
🍿

Sponsored

jollycj

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jolly
I disconnected the main ground when I installed it, thinking that would disconnect the system. However, when I accidentally hit the emergency flashers they came on, so it was still drawing power from the little battery obviously. Not even sure how I'd truly disconnect power on this thing.

I've also seen reference to pulling the fuse to the radio to do a full power reset, I may try that once I figure out which fuse(s) that is.
f97 is the fuse for The radio. I pulled a couple times when doing audio upgrades.

OP
OP
Chupacabra

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
f97 is the fuse for The radio. I pulled a couple times when doing audio upgrades.
Thanks man. I just went out and started it after sitting for 3 hours, and the off-road pages are still working with all 5 gauges showing real-time info. The real test will be letting it sit overnight I guess and see if they reset again.

OP
OP
Chupacabra

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Two more drives, including one after sitting overnight, and all the gauges are still working. Maybe that 2nd reboot did the trick. Not sure why this is so persnickety but hopefully it continues to work...

Also, I saw lots of discussion about how upgrading to the 8.4 would lose the ability to use CarPlay in the center console USB port. At least in my case, it still works and my CarLinkIt still works with the Amazon USBC>A adapter that worked with my 7" radio. I drove for 5 hours on Sunday with the wired connection and had no problems either from the center console port.

This makes me think it's not hardware related but it's the USB cable from the radio to the center console just drops too much voltage. I may try removing the Amazon adapter just for grins to see if the CarLinkit will work connected directly as an experiment...

OP
OP
Chupacabra

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Well I spoke too soon - again.

I have determined that unless I leave the ECRI SGW bypass in place, I only get the Battery Voltage and Trans Temp gauges. If I leave the ECRI SGW installed, all 5 gauges work.

Anyone else seen this behavior or have any ideas on what I can do short of leaving the bypass installed? And is this even an option or safe to do?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Chupacabra

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I was told that the Tazer could enable ORP without having to leave the Tazer in the Jeep so I bought one on sale :)

That is somewhat true, ORP stay enabled even with the Tazer removed. However, I lose the same gauge data as I did when I enabled it with JSCAN and removed the ECRI SGW bypass.

So based on my experience, along with some others I have talked to, upgrading to the 8.4" radio will likely require you to have an SGW bypass of some kind installed for all 4/5 of the ORP gauges to actually work. With the Tazer, it acts as the SGW bypass so all is well as long as it's left installed in the Jeep.

If you enable ORP with JSCAN, you'll need to leave a SGW bypass ECRI, etc) installed to get all the gauges to work.

My last piece of evidence is that infotainment sells a stand alone ORP enabler that comes with an SGW bypass module, and they also claim the module must remain installed for ORP to work.

The bypass device must remain installed for the Off Road Pages to function. Do NOT remove the Bypass Module once installed.

Hopefully this saves someone else the headache of figuring out why the ORP only have a few working gauges when you upgrade to the 8.4" unit and enable ORP through the Tazer or JSCAN or whatever. The gauges appear to need an SGW bypass to be fully functional.
Sponsored