Sponsored

Upgrade of UConnect 3 5" to Phoenix Automotive 9" Octa-Core Android Navigation Radio

AgentRice

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
Occupation
Fire Fighter Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
hows the fit in the housing? does it come with a different bezel?
Sponsored

OP
OP

gramanero

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JL)
Vehicle Showcase
Does the Phoenix head unit provide temperature control? The video on their site shows it, but their video is also not from a Jeep so I'm curious.
I don’t believe it has temperature controls but that is an assumption on my part. I have a JLUS stock so I have knobs to control the temperature. I do know that when I adjust the temperature that the head unit displays i formation like what the fan settings are and the temperature. I would try to contact the folks at Phoenix however I will say that their customer support is quite poor.

OP
OP

gramanero

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
hows the fit in the housing? does it come with a different bezel?
As some have indicated in previous posts in this thread the fit is “snug” and takes some patience to get it properly set but it does fit even with various items that need to also be placed behind the head unit such as the canbus box. The bezel and head unit are all one piece, so yes it does come with its own bezel. Hope that helps.

AgentRice

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
Occupation
Fire Fighter Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
As some have indicated in previous posts in this thread the fit is “snug” and takes some patience to get it properly set but it does fit even with various items that need to also be placed behind the head unit such as the canbus box. The bezel and head unit are all one piece, so yes it does come with its own bezel. Hope that helps.
This helps a ton!! Thanks!

WarlockLord

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I don’t believe it has temperature controls but that is an assumption on my part. I have a JLUS stock so I have knobs to control the temperature. I do know that when I adjust the temperature that the head unit displays i formation like what the fan settings are and the temperature. I would try to contact the folks at Phoenix however I will say that their customer support is quite poor.
A few more follow up questions ---- sorry to be a pest. Were you able to use your existing USB connections built into the Jeep for Android Auto/CarPlay/Media or did you have to run the new cables that came with the unit? I read somewhere, can't find it now, that someone used an adapter to go from the Mini USB connections that the Jeep comes with to a full-sized USB A.

What about the microphone? Can I use the Jeep's mic or do I have to use the add-on one?

Sponsored

Kripas

First Name
Kripas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
A few more follow up questions ---- sorry to be a pest. Were you able to use your existing USB connections built into the Jeep for Android Auto/CarPlay/Media or did you have to run the new cables that came with the unit? I read somewhere, can't find it now, that someone used an adapter to go from the Mini USB connections that the Jeep comes with to a full-sized USB A.

What about the microphone? Can I use the Jeep's mic or do I have to use the add-on one?
You going to need the adaptor for usb if you want the existing usb . My Android head unit “ Seicane” has a built in car play so I do not gave yo buy the dongle. Android unit has a built in microphone

WarlockLord

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
You going to need the adaptor for usb if you want the existing usb . My Android head unit “ Seicane” has a built in car play so I do not gave yo buy the dongle. Android unit has a built in microphone
Thanks for the info. Does the Secane show the temperature and fan changes on screen? It looks like it comes with a Canbus adapter, so I'm guessing it should, just want to be sure.

I found the USB adapter.... if I purchase that, I can use CarPlay/Android auto with the existing USB connections and WITHOUT the dongle that they sell?

Kripas

First Name
Kripas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
Thanks for the info. Does the Secane show the temperature and fan changes on screen? It looks like it comes with a Canbus adapter, so I'm guessing it should, just want to be sure.

I found the USB adapter.... if I purchase that, I can use CarPlay/Android auto with the existing USB connections and WITHOUT the dongle that they sell?
Depends on your Android head unit, my seicane brand no need for dongle, straight to the back of my headunit usb to my iPhone. Go to their site they sell a obd dongle and see it supports the temp etc etc, but their obd dongle for sure support the car info like rpm , oil temp etc etc.

Viperbmw69

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep jl
I purchased the Teyes HU along with their car play dongle, odb adapter, and the camera adapter. 2018 JLU I DO have the alpine system I am wondering about the install and how to make sure the sub works along with wiring.

OP
OP

gramanero

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased the Teyes HU along with their car play dongle, odb adapter, and the camera adapter. 2018 JLU I DO have the alpine system I am wondering about the install and how to make sure the sub works along with wiring.
Hello, Unfortunately, I know nothing about the Alpine system or the Teyes head unit. I would imagine they all have similar wiring. I assume by sub you mean the subwoofers? I never played around with the speakers directly and just kept all of the speaker wirings the same. There is quite a bit of information in the thread already, so perhaps reading through the thread will help with any wiring questions. Sorry I cannot be of more help. Hope it works out alright for you.

Sponsored

Kripas

First Name
Kripas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
Hello, Unfortunately, I know nothing about the Alpine system or the Teyes head unit. I would imagine they all have similar wiring. I assume by sub you mean the subwoofers? I never played around with the speakers directly and just kept all of the speaker wirings the same. There is quite a bit of information in the thread already, so perhaps reading through the thread will help with any wiring questions. Sorry I cannot be of more help. Hope it works out alright for you.
Under the factory settings in android head unit ( pin code ) you can change the canbus sound to select with or with out amp settings on jeep wrangler profile.

S Kama Do!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I have the Teyes unit, finally got my wiring harness situation straightened out last week. I don't have an alpine system or a sub. Installation was simple, there's a number of leads (key1, key2, some labeled with Chinese that I can't read, etc.) on the harnesses that are capped; leave them alone, they won't be used. There are also a couple of leads that extend off of the harness for the back up camera, if I remember correctly, that are for a wifi antenna and a bluetooth antenna, you can leave these alone unless you find your bluetooth reception or wifi reception isn't working for you.

The Teyes unit I purchased supports AHD for the reversing camera, if yours does as well, snip the jumper wire on the camera adapter labeled cut.ahd and use the AHD output rca plug from the adapter. You'll plug this into what's labeled as CVBS on the reversing camera harness that plugs into the head unit (yes you're plugging AHD into CVBS, don't worry about it, it works). You'll have to tap a B+ wire and ground for the reversing camera adapter, I spliced into the wires on the Teyes furnished main harness using tap splices https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KZ6NKI8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Blue colored tap for ground, red for B+ / acc.

If your unit is like mine, you'll have to switch from russian to english, and then have to go into the settings for the canbus module and make the selection for a Jeep Cherokee (why? I don't know) for your canbus module to enable. Look here: http://sp.teyes.ru/en/canbus/index.html This will give you steering wheel controls, hvac integration, and manipulate the steering lines on the reversing camera. If you have trouble locating these menus let me know.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Viperbmw69

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep jl
I have the Teyes unit, finally got my wiring harness situation straightened out last week. I don't have an alpine system or a sub. Installation was simple, there's a number of leads (key1, key2, some labeled with Chinese that I can't read, etc.) on the harnesses that are capped; leave them alone, they won't be used. There are also a couple of leads that extend off of the harness for the back up camera, if I remember correctly, that are for a wifi antenna and a bluetooth antenna, you can leave these alone unless you find your bluetooth reception or wifi reception isn't working for you.

The Teyes unit I purchased supports AHD for the reversing camera, if yours does as well, snip the jumper wire on the camera adapter labeled cut.ahd and use the AHD output rca plug from the adapter. You'll plug this into what's labeled as CVBS on the reversing camera harness that plugs into the head unit (yes you're plugging AHD into CVBS, don't worry about it, it works). You'll have to tap a B+ wire and ground for the reversing camera adapter, I spliced into the wires on the Teyes furnished main harness using tap splices https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KZ6NKI8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Blue colored tap for ground, red for B+ / acc.

If your unit is like mine, you'll have to switch from russian to english, and then have to go into the settings for the canbus module and make the selection for a Jeep Cherokee (why? I don't know) for your canbus module to enable. Look here: http://sp.teyes.ru/en/canbus/index.html This will give you steering wheel controls, hvac integration, and manipulate the steering lines on the reversing camera. If you have trouble locating these menus let me know.

Good luck.
Thanks so much for this help I look forward to giving this a shot. How do you like it so far? Do you have the run a new microphone wire?

Viperbmw69

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep jl
Under the factory settings in android head unit ( pin code ) you can change the canbus sound to select with or with out amp settings on jeep wrangler profile.
Is this for a teyes unit?