Sponsored

Upgrade of UConnect 3 5" to Phoenix Automotive 9" Octa-Core Android Navigation Radio

UNC

First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I was just coming back to the forum to let you guys know that Teyes is selling the individual unit but I guess someone beat me to it. Anyway, I received the unit this week and got it to work last night. There are two RCA plugs and I plugged both in and then it worked as a "front" camera but finally got it all to work.
I sat on it a couple of days but was given instructions to tap into G1 and G3 by Teyes. I just used a regular T-tab connection for both the AC and ground (not sure how smart that is). Anyway it all works great now.
Sponsored

UNC

First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My G1 ground wire already had 3/4 other wires spliced into it and the G3 is running to a canbus (another box with a bunch of wires) so I was afraid that it wouldn't work when i spliced into it. Also, use the RCA CVBS not the AHD RCA cable to plug into the unit. At least that is what made it work on mine. Really no other tips. Camera is still kinda crappy at night but that's not Teyes fault.

OP
OP

gramanero

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JL)
Vehicle Showcase
I was just coming back to the forum to let you guys know that Teyes is selling the individual unit but I guess someone beat me to it. Anyway, I received the unit this week and got it to work last night. There are two RCA plugs and I plugged both in and then it worked as a "front" camera but finally got it all to work.
I sat on it a couple of days but was given instructions to tap into G1 and G3 by Teyes. I just used a regular T-tab connection for both the AC and ground (not sure how smart that is). Anyway it all works great now.
This makes me so friggin happy!! Thanks for sharing the info!! I actually went and ordered one two days ago just cuz I am sick of waiting and it looked to be very promising.

do you happen to have any pictures the install wiring? Not entirely sure what is meant by G1 and G3. Assuming G means ground?

Reactions: UNC

UNC

First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This makes me so friggin happy!! Thanks for sharing the info!! I actually went and ordered one two days ago just cuz I am sick of waiting and it looked to be very promising.

do you happen to have any pictures the install wiring? Not entirely sure what is meant by G1 and G3. Assuming G means ground?
If i take it apart in the next week or so, I will try to remember to take a picture. Just need to make a hole in the top console and hope to place my usbs there but also still need to hook up my aftermarket alpine sub to the unit directly but have no clue how to get the cable to the floor.

Anyway, it's a fairly easy install but it took me an hour of frustration of going through the settings thinking that the settings are wrong while it was just my connections.

Here is really all of it:
1) Make sure to connect the CVBS rca cable from Teyes (male) to the camera rca cable from the unit (female) (F6 in the diagram in link below but I believe that it is actually taking up both F6 and F8 on my unit- yellow and black wires moving into one rca output).
2) Connect fakra from Teyes to the red Fakra female from the Jeep (camera wiring).
3) Connect AC power to G3 spot (see picture posted on where it is located) and G1 is the ground (a bit bigger cable than the AC). See picture for the G wiring. The G block is the one that is going to the big power supply in the Jeep. Again, I just used the T connectors to splice into the two wires.

https://sp.teyes.ru/map/index.html

The above are the Russian instructions and layouts of the unit. You'll see G is the top left cable block on the unit and so G1 is the top left wire going into that block (no idea what the term is for these cable block). G2 is below it and G3 (power wire) is the second wire from the top left.

Sponsored

OP
OP

gramanero

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If i take it apart in the next week or so, I will try to remember to take a picture. Just need to make a hole in the top console and hope to place my usbs there but also still need to hook up my aftermarket alpine sub to the unit directly but have no clue how to get the cable to the floor.

Anyway, it's a fairly easy install but it took me an hour of frustration of going through the settings thinking that the settings are wrong while it was just my connections.

Here is really all of it:
1) Make sure to connect the CVBS rca cable from Teyes (male) to the camera rca cable from the unit (female) (F6 in the diagram in link below but I believe that it is actually taking up both F6 and F8 on my unit- yellow and black wires moving into one rca output).
2) Connect fakra from Teyes to the red Fakra female from the Jeep (camera wiring).
3) Connect AC power to G3 spot (see picture posted on where it is located) and G1 is the ground (a bit bigger cable than the AC). See picture for the G wiring. The G block is the one that is going to the big power supply in the Jeep. Again, I just used the T connectors to splice into the two wires.

https://sp.teyes.ru/map/index.html

The above are the Russian instructions and layouts of the unit. You'll see G is the top left cable block on the unit and so G1 is the top left wire going into that block (no idea what the term is for these cable block). G2 is below it and G3 (power wire) is the second wire from the top left.
Thank you for the info share. Very much appreciated. Once I get the adapter in my hands I'll be coming back to this for help. Will be great to get this finally taken care of.

Kripas

First Name
Kripas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
My G1 ground wire already had 3/4 other wires spliced into it and the G3 is running to a canbus (another box with a bunch of wires) so I was afraid that it wouldn't work when i spliced into it. Also, use the RCA CVBS not the AHD RCA cable to plug into the unit. At least that is what made it work on mine. Really no other tips. Camera is still kinda crappy at night but that's not Teyes fault.
Hows the quality on day time, is it the same as before the OEM quality?

UNC

First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hows the quality on day time, is it the same as before the OEM quality?
Seems to be ok most of the time. A bit brighter than what I remember the original looking like but that could be the camera. I honestly don't remember the original anymore as it has been a while now.

OP
OP

gramanero

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well ... SOB. Finally all works. Thanks again for all the help to everyone that responded to this thread!!

B4607FF2-97F0-47C7-8E28-C75434C05CDD.jpeg

Sponsored

S Kama Do!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Nice, did you use the adh connection or the low res? I'm guessing the lines don't turn with steering wheel input?

Teyes sent me the wrong main harness, so I'm still ~3 weeks out from up and running.

OP
OP

gramanero

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How the quality compare to the ‘5 inch uconnect
I never took a pic of the original 5". Looks fine to me though. I suppose that it just comes down to personal preference and opinion. Sorry I can't be of more help.

OP
OP

gramanero

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nice, did you use the adh connection or the low res? I'm guessing the lines don't turn with steering wheel input?

Teyes sent me the wrong main harness, so I'm still ~3 weeks out from up and running.
The only thing I bought from Teyes was the adapter that Phoenix Automotive apparently forgot to account for.

I followed the explanation that was provided in this thread (UNC) who installed the adapted as well, so I used the CVSB RCS and not the AHD RCA connection. Took me a little bit to think through the wiring for power. The explanation above helped, but I am thinking my wiring setup might be slightly different. The hint that was most helpful from UNC was that once of the wires was thicker (ACC) than the other (GND). I ended up splicing into the harness that came with the Phoenix unit instead of the wires coming out of the Jeep in case anything went wrong I could always buy another harness from Phoenix. Figure out the main power line coming out of the Jeep for the radio (red/yellow) and the ground wite (black and traced that to the Phoenix wiring harness (yellow for ACC and black for GNC). Worked like a charm the first time.

I could try using the AHD RCA cable instead of the CVBS RCA cable on the Phoenix unit but this point it works and it's such a tight fit that it takes a bit of patience to make sure the unit has a nice fit back into the Jeep. Pulling it out is a PITA but maybe someday I'll give it a go.

OP
OP

gramanero

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Just re-read your post and got me thinking about the comment about steering wheel input. I will have to pay more attention to that, but I think you are correct. Wondering if that is something I could get back somehow. I know the radio unit comes with a canbus box so I don't know why that would be a lost capability. Hmmm ...

WarlockLord

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Does the Phoenix head unit provide temperature control? The video on their site shows it, but their video is also not from a Jeep so I'm curious.
Sponsored