First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
interesting; i hated the Firestone Destination M/T2s that came stock on my Willys; seemed like they'd slip everywhere when it was wet, even on city streets. i was happy to get rid of them.

i've run several generations of BFG MTs and never found them to hydroplane excessively, but they were not great on snow and/ice unless i siped them. (a little time with a razor does wonders.) sadly, they seem to have gotten progressively louder with each generation.

i've been very happy with the Mickey Baja Boss M/T i'm using now (35x12.5). they aren't terribly loud, ride nice, don't seem to be excessively inclined to hydroplane, and stick reasonably well when it's wet and/or sloppy on and off the pavement. i've not yet had a chance to work them hard on snow/ice.
Thanks for that info! What gear ratio are you running with the 35's? Mine is 4.10 and trying to decide if I will be okay with leaving that alone since I have an 8 speed auto too.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
37x12.5r 17 Cooper STT Pros on my JLR have over 40K. Still look excellent, I highly recommend them.
Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrade from All Terrain to M/T Tires? JL frt. passenger corner closeu

They look excellent for the mileage! I really do like the looks of these tires and they are cheaper. it's not really about the money though. How do they ride and sound now?

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
M/T's are noisier than A/T's. Because of other mods I've done like muffler delete, I really don't notice any tire noise. Ride is more subjective and mine is a 2 door with a Mopar lift. Softer springs and firmer shocks than some. Tires have a lot of side wall and at 28 lbs. cold they ride well At 15 psi off-road they are very good.
BTW, 4.10 gears with 37's, 3.6 V6, auto trans. works. On the interstate I shift manually down and up from 6 th. I would not tow however. 35's even work better.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i'm currently running the stock 3.73s that came with the Diesel (and the 8-spd automatic). there is no driveability issue with this configuration due to the ridiculous abundance of torque.

i do plan to re-gear someday to 4.10s to get it back to just a tad lower than the stock ratios just to keep everything turning somewhere close to the designed speeds for the loads; i prefer the idea of everything cooling/lubing itself the way it was intended or better, especially since i've added to the load. the reality is that now i'm pushing a heavier, taller (lifted) vehicle with more weight to spin up from every stop. (tire with Mopar Beadlock wheel weighs 110 lbs./ea.!)

regearing is on the list to do at the same time i upgrade axle shafts, front locker and put a gear-driven limited slip in the rear.

Thanks for that info! What gear ratio are you running with the 35's? Mine is 4.10 and trying to decide if I will be okay with leaving that alone since I have an 8 speed auto too.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've decided to get the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss M/T tires. When i try to order, the Mickey Thompson website redirects me to a message stating the tires are in production and to check back later... So, I'm dead in the water ordering directly from Mickey Thompson. Has anyone found another way to get these tires lately?

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ordered the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss M/T 315/70R17 tiers today. They could only find 4 immediately available and still searching for the 5th.

I was pleasantly surprised that the price for each mounted and balanced came to just over $363. I was expecting them to be over $400 for each mounted and balanced. Hope to get them on by weeks end.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Finally got the 315/70R17 Baja Boss M/T tires on! Really love the size increase! Drives a bit different since they are new and noise level is ok. Speedometer is off a bit and I'll address that later. Can't really feel any difference in acceleration.

20220310_123635.jpg

20220310_123548.jpg

20220310_123441.jpg

20220310_123352.jpg

20220310_123315.jpg

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
Finally got the 315/70R17 Baja Boss M/T tires on! Really love the size increase! Drives a bit different since they are new and noise level is ok. Speedometer is off a bit and I'll address that later. Can't really feel any difference in acceleration.

Jeep Wrangler JL Upgrade from All Terrain to M/T Tires? 20220310_123315

Looks sick! Stock Rubi suspension or any lift? Any rubbing?

Also - what front bumper? And do you like the rear LOD ?

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Looks sick! Stock Rubi suspension or any lift? Any rubbing?

Also - what front bumper? And do you like the rear LOD ?
Thanks!
Stock suspension and no rubbing so far. I haven't checked for rubbing while flexed yet.
Front bumper is a Barricade adventure HD.
I really like the LOD rear bumper. It's tough as nails and has a built in hitch receiver. I pity the fool that ever runs into it lol. Quality is excellent. After having it for 2 years the finish is rust free even after multiple beach trips.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: LCW