Sponsored

Upgrade Dana 35s or move up to Dana 44s?

702SaharaJL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Bikini Blue
Hello everyone..

I have a 2018 Sahara JLU and I'm torn as to whether I should upgrade the Dana 35s (chromoly shafts, re-gear, locker or LSD, etc..) and the front Dana 30 (same minus LSD). Or just buy a set of Rubicon 44s with 4.10s?

I eventually want to have at least 37" tires so I think the 4.10s should be good.

Any advice is appreciated!
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Hello everyone..

I have a 2018 Sahara JLU and I'm torn as to whether I should upgrade the Dana 35s (chromoly shafts, re-gear, locker or LSD, etc..) and the front Dana 30 (same minus LSD). Or just buy a set of Rubicon 44s with 4.10s?

I eventually want to have at least 37" tires so I think the 4.10s should be good.

Any advice is appreciated!
If you want to regear, add lockers and run 37s, it makes sense to swap in takeoff rubi d44 axles with rubi brakes. It's a stronger and wider platform with e-lockers, 4.10 gears and better brakes. You can find good condition takeoff d44s for less than $4k. Prob get them for even less right now due to the current volatile economic situation.

OP
OP
702SaharaJL

702SaharaJL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Bikini Blue
I was able to find the build sheet online and according to it I have a M186 in the front and a M220 in the rear.

So maybe just a re-gear and upgrade in the front?? Lockers all around?

Last edited:

Nerdsmith

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport
I was able to find the build sheet online and according to it I have a M186 in the front and a M220 in the rear.

In the same boat. Not sure if i should, get rubi takes offs or even JT take offs, Upgrade current m186/m220s, or get a pro rock 44 front and locker and regear the rear. All different levels of budget & time. lol But the pro-rock is the only option to not have a FAD.

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat

All build sheets say you have an M220 rear axle because that's standard equipment. But when you spec an automatic trans it gets removed and replaced with an M200. Need to check your optional equipment.

Sponsored

MrNuggets

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
All build sheets say you have an M220 rear axle because that's standard equipment. But when you spec an automatic trans it gets removed and replaced with an M200. Need to check your optional equipment.
Yep, I thought my sport had a D44 in the back for months and just found out yesterday it is in fact not and I am in the market for two axles now..
‍♂ I would double check!

OP
OP
702SaharaJL

702SaharaJL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Bikini Blue
Ive been geeking out hardcore on this axle thing. I don't know why Jeep just wouldn't make the M220 standard across all trim levels? A lot of similarities to the MoCo!

I think for what I'm trying to do, 4.88 gears, lockers in the front and back, and axle shaft upgrades just might be the prescription..

I don't think I want to get into swapping axles..next time I'll just get the Rubicon!

OP
OP
702SaharaJL

702SaharaJL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Bikini Blue
Well, I just went an upgraded to a 2020 Rubicon...Dealership gave me a smoking deal, threw 6k down and increased my payment by $100...

Probably not the wisest choice financially, but money is something I know how to make...haven't figured out how to make time yet..

Got the bikini blue!

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Well, I just went an upgraded to a 2020 Rubicon...Dealership gave me a smoking deal, threw 6k down and increased my payment by $100...

Probably not the wisest choice financially, but money is something I know how to make...haven't figured out how to make time yet..

Got the bikini blue!
Nice...lease or purchase? If purchase, how long is loan term and what is interest rate?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Got the bikini blue!
Well this thread took an interesting turn, why mess around w/ an axle swap when you can just swap the entire ride :)
Congrats! Post up some pics when you can.

Sponsored

OP
OP
702SaharaJL

702SaharaJL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Bikini Blue
Nice...lease or purchase? If purchase, how long is loan term and what is interest rate?
It was a purchse. I did the 84 month term, haven't been given an interest rate yet. The rate on the Sahara was 4%, so I'm hoping it's the same or better..
Well this thread took an interesting turn, why mess around w/ an axle swap when you can just swap the entire ride :)
Congrats! Post up some pics when you can.
thanks! I was in a position where it would've been drop 8k on the Sahara or trade it in and drop 6k down and get a Rubi...The choice was kind of easy! Especially when I got it for $44k (they were just as eager as me to make a deal). I took about a 2k hit on the trade of the Sahara, plus all the tax, and doc fees...total about 3500. But whatever..I'm happy now!

Jeep.JPG

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Very nice Jason, always take hits on trades but in the long run you won't feel it much and you get to enjoy a rather substantial upgrade.

Now enjoy those beefy axles and better gearing :)

Digger 5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
For what it's worth....
A quick way to check what axle you have in the rear is by looking at the drain plug. If it's coming out directly under the middle of the pumpkin it's a 35. if it's coming out the side (lower left) it's a 44.

OP
OP
702SaharaJL

702SaharaJL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Bikini Blue
For what it's worth....
A quick way to check what axle you have in the rear is by looking at the drain plug. If it's coming out directly under the middle of the pumpkin it's a 35. if it's coming out the side (lower left) it's a 44.
yeah...Jeep did some interesting things with the rear axles. Mine happened to be a M220 with 3.45 gears..all of that doesn't matter anymore as I've traded the Sahara in for a Rubicon..axle dilemma solved!
Sponsored