First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Yes, but if you’re going to go with the expense of a long arm kit do you really want to be handicapped by bolt-on choices? RK is the only lift that should be in this conversation.
The RockJock/Currie one is nicely done as well. They don't list it as not a bolt-on or DIY but if you contact them they will provide the info and a list of qualified installers.

What's nice with the Currie are Johnny joints at all ends and the arms are all straight and out of a single tube, no bends nor complex welded arms.

Quality wise it's probably the same as RK, but I don't like RK as they lied to me over joint squeaking, and sway-bar link squeaking. And while lying to me they announced a recall due to material issues and sent out free update/rebuild kits. Why lie? Just say "Yes we have issues we are working on and will be in touch as soon as we have an update."

By not being honest I will never give them another dollar, and will make sure I tell the story of how they treat customers every chance I get ;)
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The RockJock/Currie one is nicely done as well. They don't list it as not a bolt-on or DIY but if you contact them they will provide the info and a list of qualified installers.

What's nice with the Currie are Johnny joints at all ends and the arms are all straight and out of a single tube, no bends nor complex welded arms.

Quality wise it's probably the same as RK, but I don't like RK as they lied to me over joint squeaking, and sway-bar link squeaking. And while lying to me they announced a recall due to material issues and sent out free update/rebuild kits. Why lie? Just say "Yes we have issues we are working on and will be in touch as soon as we have an update."

By not being honest I will never give them another dollar, and will make sure I tell the story of how they treat customers every chance I get ;)
Hmm, I’ve had nothing but amazing customer services from them.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Hmm, I’ve had nothing but amazing customer services from them.
I know you, @Roky, and many others have. But I also know I am not alone in the club that has gotten the exact opposite.

So from my perspective they are on the list of "do not recommend", "tell people about the shit service", and "never spend money with again."

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Quality wise it's probably the same as RK, but I don't like RK as they lied to me over joint squeaking
No offense John, Noise is perfectly normal for a Heim joint. That is just common knowledge. They also don't last as long as rubber bushings. They are purchased for strength and articulation.

I cannot comment on your conversation with Rock Krawler other than I find it hard to believe they would lie to you over joint noise.

Even a bone stock Jeep or any brand of off road vehicle including motorcycle makes all kinds of snapping, cracking, squeaking, scraping and other noises when going through extreme rock gardens.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
No offense John, Noise is perfectly normal for a Heim joint. That is just common knowledge. They also don't last as long as rubber bushings. They are purchased for strength and articulation.

I cannot comment on your conversation with Rock Krawler other than I find it hard to believe they would lie to you over joint noise.

Even a bone stock Jeep or any brand of off road vehicle including motorcycle makes all kinds of snapping, cracking, squeaking, scraping and other noises when going through extreme rock gardens.
Before you chime in please understand the history. I've worked my entire life in metrology with many large accounts in the automative and aerospace industry.

1) RK had a recall on their joints due to a material issue.

2) One symptom of this material issue was noise, but also sloppy and/or rough motion if you took the arms off.

3) Many of us were chasing noise issues to which RK gave us no info on a investigation being underway. Some bought rebuild kits, as did I, to service the joints.

4) It was not until others in the Jeep community brought up the recall and shared the documents from RK that this all came out.

If RK was simply honest with their customers and said "We've had a few reports and looking into it" it would have saved many a ton of time and effort chasing an issue that RK claimed did not exist but they were aware it did.

So again, I stand by my statement that RK is not an ethical company and I can not and will not recommend their products.

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
What is the reason you would not want coilovers? Is it just simply a price point decision?
It's not a price point decision for me, especially when I'm looking at a 4-6" long arm kit and custom-built 1 ton 60/80 axles, and 40" bead locks. I utilize the cargo space in my jeep quite a bit and the weight over the rear changes constantly. Most people (not all) will take the time to have their coilovers tuned to their vehicle's weight and suspension travel. A difference of 200lbs can affect how the vehicle rides and if I'm going coilovers for maximum performance & comfort, I don't want to worry about constantly having to tune them for the trail vs daily driving. I've considered going with a kit that runs coilovers in the front since that weight isn't changing, but not the rear.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
It's not a price point decision for me, especially when I'm looking at a 4-6" long arm kit and custom-built 1 ton 60/80 axles, and 40" bead locks. I utilize the cargo space in my jeep quite a bit and the weight over the rear changes constantly. Most people (not all) will take the time to have their coilovers tuned to their vehicle's weight and suspension travel. A difference of 200lbs can affect how the vehicle rides and if I'm going coilovers for maximum performance & comfort, I don't want to worry about constantly having to tune them for the trail vs daily driving. I've considered going with a kit that runs coilovers in the front since that weight isn't changing, but not the rear.
Id agree lol, good option

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac

Sponsored

engineXI

First Name
jank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rubicon
Thanks for that info. I knew that they can be adjusted based on weight and driving style but didn't realize 200lbs would throw that out of wack.
I guess it could be a good excuse to not let someone ride with you "sorry, my shocks aren't tuned for an extra person" :devil:

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for that info. I knew that they can be adjusted based on weight and driving style but didn't realize 200lbs would throw that out of wack.
I guess it could be a good excuse to not let someone ride with you "sorry, my shocks aren't tuned for an extra person" :devil:
It honestly will depend on how well you know your vehicle and what I mean by that is how well you can tell when something is off. The average person may not feel the difference but someone who's "in tune" with their vehicle probably will.

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Some of our customers will have a slight rake in the rear to compensate for that occasional added weight, similar to a pickup truck. Coilovers are not ideal for towing or a vehicle that gets loaded down with gear a lot. However, it is the only setup that you can manually adjust and compensate for added weight ahead of time, aside from a compression adjuster. The adjusters are nice to help stiffen up the shocks to handle the weight better. Lots of options to think about.

Personally I just deal with the sag heading out to a camp spot, then unload most of the gear at camp to get my ride height back.
Sponsored