Sponsored

Updated front trackbar with stiffer bushings coming to help cure STEERING issues 68394087AA

Ike582

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Granite Crystal
What's the magic to the May 8th date? I took delivery of my 18 JLUR in late September. I waited forever for the power roof, so I'm sure mine was built after May 8th. It was already cool temps when I took delivery, but I distinctly remember being freaked out on a couple of warm days that I was going to be pulled over for wandering all over the road. In warm weather it was baaaad. However, the temps dropped shortly after delivery and it's driven just fine since then.
Did Jeep alter any of the parts or manufacturing processes after May 8th so there's logic to the cutoff? I'm now awaiting Spring to see how my Jeep drives in warmer weather.
Sponsored

OP
OP
californiajeeping

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm running 35's so technically speaking I am under the recommended max. I'm not sure what box I have, where do I find the info?
I think the part number is on the very top of the steering box. It is engraved so it isn’t obvious and you have to get a flashlight at just the right angle to find it.

OP
OP
californiajeeping

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
What's the magic to the May 8th date? I took delivery of my 18 JLUR in late September. I waited forever for the power roof, so I'm sure mine was built after May 8th. It was already cool temps when I took delivery, but I distinctly remember being freaked out on a couple of warm days that I was going to be pulled over for wandering all over the road. In warm weather it was baaaad. However, the temps dropped shortly after delivery and it's driven just fine since then.
Did Jeep alter any of the parts or manufacturing processes after May 8th so there's logic to the cutoff? I'm now awaiting Spring to see how my Jeep drives in warmer weather.
May 8 is referring to the 4 door programming bulletin, not about the overall Star case.

Leights7

First Name
Leighton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Does anybody know if you can get the updated track bar and pitman arm if you are NOT experiencing symptoms?

Sponsored

OP
OP
californiajeeping

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Does anybody know if you can get the updated track bar and pitman arm if you are NOT experiencing symptoms?
The dealership understandably wants to see the symptoms first to file it as a warranty claim. But you could always buy them yourself outside of the warranty.

n1vek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Is it possible to swap the bushings in the previous track bar? Pardon my ignorance.

Sponsored

OP
OP
californiajeeping

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Is it possible to swap the bushings in the previous track bar? Pardon my ignorance.
Here is an example of swapping bushings in a track bar in a Wrangler - this isn't a JL, but same idea. This guy cusses a lot, even cusses in the first 2 seconds, so if you have young ones around, might want them to leave the room before you play the video. lol I looked, but I don't see bushings for JLs yet. They probably assumed it would be a while before they wore out or needed to be replaced. AAAAAANNNNNKKKK. Wrong.

n1vek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Here is an example of swapping bushings in a track bar in a Wrangler - this isn't a JL, but same idea. This guy cusses a lot, even cusses in the first 2 seconds, so if you have young ones around, might want them to leave the room before you play the video. lol I looked, but I don't see bushings for JLs yet. They probably assumed it would be a while before they wore out or needed to be replaced. AAAAAANNNNNKKKK. Wrong.

I know it's early, but is the expectation that it's just a revision to the bushings and everything else in unchanged?

mammoth713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
c5z
I'm an engineer, granted not a mechanical engineer tho

watch the first few seconds of this video and then watch @ 6:04

I'm convinced it's fixed by:
  • drag bar bolt being mounted ontop instead of bottom
  • thicker drag bar
  • higher mounted track bar, so it's nominally more horizontal.. This is probably the biggest contributor IMO since once the oscillation starts, the track bar is already fairly at @ angle in the air, and isnt very difficult to get movement out of L/R to further feed into the oscillation. Compared to, if it was more horizontal nominally, it doesnt have all the L/R movement to feed into the oscillation as much. This would imply that people with lifts would more likely see this oscillation than people at stock height.
I think the key is the track bar and drag bar being much more horizontal nominally during driving. I dont think the tie rod bar matters if it's stock or beefier as long as the bolts are all torqued.

Also with the drag bar and track bar more horizontal, they are also shorter in length, which means there's less of a torque pivot motion on the bar when you hit a bump...

I am curious to see what the stock track bar looks like vs the revised OEM one

1.PNG
2.PNG

Last edited:

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
The yeti topmount is only for lifts of 3.5” plus, I think.

jeepthang

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Is it just me or at 5:28 in that yeti video there still seems to be a hint of wheel "shimmy"? By all means no where near as close to the DW as previously experienced though.
Sponsored