Sponsored

Updated 7" to 8.4" but how can I update software?

Mattyv

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU - Ocean Blue
I was able to successfully swap out my 7" Uconnect with an 8.4", but am now running into problems trying to apply any software updates. Since my Sport S came with a 7", it still shows my 7" radio serial number associated with my VIN. I am unable to download the appropriate update and the dealer can't either. They told me that they can only download an update for the VIN and it is now a different radio. Does anyone know how to get updates once the radio has been swapped out by not the dealer?
The reason I am looking for an update is my Bluetooth loses connectivity multiple times per week and I am constantly pairing my phone. It is really annoying. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
Unless some enterprising 8.4 owner makes the download available for download (there was talk of this months ago, but went nowhere), you are left with what the dealer will or won't do for you.

The dealer has the ability to contact FCA and modify the Sales Code Data for your JL to include the 8.4". Unless you have a great relationship with service manager and he/she is willing to listen, it won't happen. This is similar to what the dealer would have to do for updating the sales code for say, adding the tow package or Aux wiring.

OP
OP
Mattyv

Mattyv

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU - Ocean Blue
Unless some enterprising 8.4 owner makes the download available for download (there was talk of this months ago, but went nowhere), you are left with what the dealer will or won't do for you.

The dealer has the ability to contact FCA and modify the Sales Code Data for your JL to include the 8.4". Unless you have a great relationship with service manager and he/she is willing to listen, it won't happen. This is similar to what the dealer would have to do for updating the sales code for say, adding the tow package or Aux wiring.
Thanks. I was afraid that was going to be my problem. I was hoping that someone knew of a place to download the update (aside from the Uconnect site). I get the run around from the 2 dealers I have been in contact with. The one parts department says it is not even possible to order an 8.4 for a Sport S. That is obviously wrong. They just don't want to get into the mess of updating the radio S/N on the VIN, so they won't even offer the upgrade as an option.
If anyone has the ability to get the latest 8.4 software update file for the JL, please PM me. I love the 8.4, but just wished the Bluetooth connection was reliable.
Sponsored