Sponsored

*Update* Used Car Market Stalemate, but Wranglers resale prices.. 🤑

Biohazardshrimp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
While I generally agree, this is generally represented across YoY. In addition, this is across all vehicles, not only SUVs. Such as say the F-150 or light duty class.

My question is, in the stalemate of the current time, why Is wranglers leading across the entire range of vehicles in the 30/90 day span, at nearly twice the rate. Although I suppose, Jeeps relatively limited vehicle options swings the Jeep brand higher due to less numbers to average, and the fact that they had some very good selling years lately.

Although, apparently the 1990 Wrangler is on a strong upswing as well, and I'm curious about that as well.

Interested for more information, although I took some classes on this for my Business degree, I am not entirely educated on the entire scope of things and what it means, or why things are the way they are entirely.

While I am not sure why it is the 1990 model year specifically, a lot of it does have to do with the fact that the YJ was shunned for YEARS due to the square headlights. More recently though they have developed a cult-like following. I even find myself shopping for one knowing I have no business looking for another vehicle period.
Sponsored

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
  1. Ford Bronco has disappeared and reappeared more times than a fake Dracula on Halloween
  2. Chevy Blazer reincarnated as a crossover vehicle incapable of clearing a curb
  3. Honda and Subaru don’t build anything worth remembering for more than five minutes
These 3 alone win the internet!!! :LOL:

CreepyCrepe

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge Green JLUWS, 20 Honda Pilot Elite
Clubs

Gone are the days of a 4dr or full sized convertible sedan. If you want a family hauler that you can take the top off you only had one option prior to the Bronco.

Wheelin Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Xtreme Recon
G Wagon definitely holds its value …. So we picked one up last week 😎
It’s the wife’s, I prefer my Jeep (because I wheel it, the G is light years ahead of the Jeep in quality, comfort & craftsmanship…. In fact it’s not even close)
1ED38FB9-D902-4026-A292-0783780F34F4.jpeg

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Also, the range of appeal is huge. Old farts like me have them because they have always enabled us to get where we wanted to go in the great outdoors; some (a few) buy and build ‘em for extreme trail work; some for extreme waters; some to be Walter Mitty; some because they can remove tops and doors for the open air experience; and some just ‘cause Jeeps look rugged and they want that “tough outdoorsman (or woman) look. Back when, only folks who actually used a Jeep as a Jeep wanted one(too many negatives for most folks because of rough ride, lack of creature comforts, etc.). Today they are status symbols and image projection vehicles for many. They still ride poorly (though a LOT better than in the past), and they still sacrifice comfort and road manners for capability. You see a lot of late model low mileage Jeeps sitting on used lots (many with lifts and big tires) simply because they are not for everyone, and real life often doesn’t match the concept/dream😏

Sponsored

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
G Wagon definitely holds its value …. So we picked one up last week 😎
It’s the wife’s, I prefer my Jeep (because I wheel it, the G is light years ahead of the Jeep in quality, comfort & craftsmanship…. In fact it’s not even close)
Neither is the price

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Neither is the price
😊. There’s a G Wagon in BG that has been lowered and has the big wheels, thin sidewall tires on it-proof that money and good taste don’t go together. All it needs is an angry grill and …..😳

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I used to love the old G wagens. Especially the older, non luxury ones. Too bad that these days I associate them with high maintenance women who have artificially plumped lips and asses and make garbage TV shows about nothing. I'd still take an old 2 door soft top one though.

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
You won’t find just one deciding factor.

No other vehicle has stayed true to its origins like Wrangler.

Arguably, the only other vehicle that has stuck to its original formula with the same zeal is Porsche 911, and it is just as iconic today as Jeep Wrangler.
👍 Definitely. It would behoove them not to f--k with it. I will always have a Wrangler, or 2-3, in the stable for as long as I live or until they screw it up; so far, so good.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
👍 Definitely. It would behoove them not to f--k with it. I will always have a Wrangler, or 2-3, in the stable for as long as I live or until they screw it up; so far, so good.
Jeep is out to lunch in its pricing, though.

Jeep has gradually become the “let us nickel-and-dime you to death” brand.

Sponsored

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
...I had a marketing professor in college who was insanely good at his job. Of course, this was in the pre-JK era. I did most of my case studies on Jeep. He said early on in class the reason Jeep was so successful as a brand isn't just because of their vehicles; They've positioned their brand to sell an identity, a lifestyle, etc. He wasn't wrong, and This was before he knew I was into off roading...
There's another factor to that correct analysis: the Wrangler can actually DO all the things the way it's been positioned. If it couldn't, it would have been a passing fad. It's one thing to market a product a certain way, but it better measure up and the Wrangler certainly does. Heck, it's the yardstick of measuring everything else in that market segment, IMHO.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
LIke @RubiSc0tt said, for many it's a lifestyle that they have or want to project. There are few vehicles that allow that. Harley Davidson and Corvettes (until the last gen), Mustangs and the soon to be defunct Mopar muscle cars are about the only things left that project a similar vibe. A modern classic that offers contemporary comfort, safety and reliability. Bronco is getting in on the game. Some other companies have tried and failed in the past, FJ Cruiser for example. Some, like many Triumph motorcycles, or the Mazda Miata do it on a smaller scale.

With a few accessories a Jeep becomes a one of a kind vehicle (for good or bad) and can easily be accessorized, with a few stripes and some wheels, to have a similar look to those from the 70s and 80s. If you ever rode in a Jeep as a kid, or maybe your dad or grandpa had one, you have likely been infected with a bug that can not be cured until you own one. When my daughter was little, I had a Scout and drove it often with the top off. She loved it, and cried the day I sold it. Fast forward 17 years and a Wrangler was the first new vehicle she bought, because it was the closest thing she could get to the Scout.

Retro has always been cool. As often happens during unstable times, people look to the past for a better time. A Wrangler has a direct tie to those past times that somehow seemed better. A carefree youth, when spare time was just for fun as there were no looming cares or concerns. Even if you only get that feeling for an hour a day driving to and from work. Why drive a crossover blob or a sedan found at every rental lot when you can drive a Jeep?

Last edited:

Sidewalk

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
It's an image thing.

Most of the Wranglers in my area are hard tops, they are never removed. So not the convertible angle. Half of them are only modified to have low profile tires and/or fluffy steering wheel covers, so not going off road (other half have all the overlanding stuff bolted everywhere).

Jeep gives the image of "I'm a tough, outdoors, country person" without actually having to be one.

Half the time I feel embarrassed to be seen in mine, as if I am trying to compensate for something. At least with my last car that wasn't an issue. But my last car cracked the oil pan on a rock driving down a beat up dirt road to go mountain biking and camping...

swampflyer

First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlr-2015 jette tdi-2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Jeep is out to lunch in its pricing, though.

Jeep has gradually become the “let us nickel-and-dime you to death” brand.
Think jeep is over priced check out the d-90.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Even if the data source is accurate (and I’m skeptical any time a sudden deviation like that appears) that’s the Jeep brand, not Wranglers necessarily.
Sponsored