UPDATE SOLVED Electric Mode Unavailable Cabin Cooling or Heating

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
If the EV coolant heater has gone bad, and your vehicle has not received the Nov 2022 ZB7 recall, it will not generate a check engine light. It may display Cooling and or Heating message only.

If your vehicle has received the Nov 2022 ZB7 recall, or was built in 2023 (or later), and the EV coolant heater has gone bad, it will generate a check engine light, in addition to the Cooling and Heating message.
Sponsored

madmax1618

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Sting Gray JLUR 4xe, 99 Chili Pepper Red XJ
That makes sense. I took mine in on Tuesday a code scan showed the heater code as well as another sensor and a CAN error. Here we are three days into it and theyā€™re saying they still donā€™t know what the problem is thoughā€¦ so Iā€™m excited about the outcome. šŸ™„
As I understand l, there are a few codes it can throw. One is a sort of warning and it resets, one is that the heater needs a manual reset, and the third is that the heater has bricked itself hopelessly and needs replaced.

speedymart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jl
As I understand l, there are a few codes it can throw. One is a sort of warning and it resets, one is that the heater needs a manual reset, and the third is that the heater has bricked itself hopelessly and needs replaced.
Code is p015e if I recall correctly. Using the factory scan tool you can see the heater's status. If it states "PERMANENTLY LOCKED" it needs to be replaced. For some reason the code didn't throw before the recall was performed, even if they've gone bad. I've replaced so many of these in the Pacifica's I could make multiple stacks to the ceiling. They're the same part in both models

gtojon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4XE
I have a 21' Rubi 4XE & A few days after my last update that took, I got the P015e code & Engine light. The Electric Coolant Heater is bad & the dealer has ordered it. Dealer got back to me to give me an ETA & it says "To Be Determined" :( Anybody know the time frame on these now?

Cheers, Jon

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
I have a 21' Rubi 4XE & A few days after my last update that took, I got the P015e code & Engine light. The Electric Coolant Heater is bad & the dealer has ordered it. Dealer got back to me to give me an ETA & it says "To Be Determined" :( Anybody know the time frame on these now?

Cheers, Jon
Did you ever get yours? We just encountered the same issue and have the part on backorder. Of course we're about 4 months behind you.

Sponsored

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
Welp, add mine to the list. Pretty positive mine has this issue now. No warnings or lights but it's immediately firing up the ICE even when the A/C off and the ambient temps above the automatic set limit for cold weather use. Still runs just fine and is still giving me full electric drive (whenever the hell it wants to) but it's refusing to kick over to Electric only for the same OP message (unavailable heating/cooling cabin etc).

Starting to rack up a list of shit to get taken care of at the dealership now. Trans leak, RRT software updates galore, and now this. I'm gonna take a stab and say mine's probably gonna go down for a few months for backordered parts at this rate.

Grimmjpr

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Welp, add mine to the list. Pretty positive mine has this issue now. No warnings or lights but it's immediately firing up the ICE even when the A/C off and the ambient temps above the automatic set limit for cold weather use. Still runs just fine and is still giving me full electric drive (whenever the hell it wants to) but it's refusing to kick over to Electric only for the same OP message (unavailable heating/cooling cabin etc).

Starting to rack up a list of shit to get taken care of at the dealership now. Trans leak, RRT software updates galore, and now this. I'm gonna take a stab and say mine's probably gonna go down for a few months for backordered parts at this rate.
Leaving work on Thursday ICE immediately fired up, thought that was super weird....drive about 100 feet before the check engine light came on. Pulled code when I got home P0E15... dealership can't get me in to even diagnose it till December 11th. Ugh.

Rebecca Ryan

First Name
Rebecca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 4xe
My 2021 Sahara 4XE had this issue last week. I dropped it off at the dealership for repair and was told hours later that they can't let me drive it, and they have no courtesy car for me. They said the part is on backorder and they have no idea when it will be in. They directed me to Jeep wave for car rental pre-approval, and are having me rent a car for 14 days at a time, and tell me it'll be reimbursed within 30-60 days of each of my submissions of receipts. I'm so pissed about this, as I'm not trying to be paying out of pocket for a rental and there's no end in sight. In June of '22, my a/c compressor, hoses and battery needed to be replace after my 7 month old Sahara's A/C crapped out on a XC trip from PA to CA and back. 9 days into our 8 week trip! We ended up needing to drive from Houston to Tempe to be seen by an available Jeep electric mechanic, only to be told these parts were on backorder as well. We were screwed and Jeep didn't do anything for us then, either. I can't with this company anymore!!!! It took them 6 weeks to fix my Jeep! (We had to buy a used truck to continue our summer journey, since we had everything pre-planned and pre-paid for months in advance.)

Please, has anyone gotten this coolant part installed yet? Is it really still on backorder?!?!?!

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
My 2021 Sahara 4XE had this issue last week. I dropped it off at the dealership for repair and was told hours later that they can't let me drive it, and they have no courtesy car for me. They said the part is on backorder and they have no idea when it will be in. They directed me to Jeep wave for car rental pre-approval, and are having me rent a car for 14 days at a time, and tell me it'll be reimbursed within 30-60 days of each of my submissions of receipts. I'm so pissed about this, as I'm not trying to be paying out of pocket for a rental and there's no end in sight. In June of '22, my a/c compressor, hoses and battery needed to be replace after my 7 month old Sahara's A/C crapped out on a XC trip from PA to CA and back. 9 days into our 8 week trip! We ended up needing to drive from Houston to Tempe to be seen by an available Jeep electric mechanic, only to be told these parts were on backorder as well. We were screwed and Jeep didn't do anything for us then, either. I can't with this company anymore!!!! It took them 6 weeks to fix my Jeep! (We had to buy a used truck to continue our summer journey, since we had everything pre-planned and pre-paid for months in advance.)

Please, has anyone gotten this coolant part installed yet? Is it really still on backorder?!?!?!
Which part?

Is this your issue?

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
Which part?
She's probably referencing the ECH. The struggle is real with this thing. Seems like everybody is having it fail on them.

Sponsored

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
The 4xe is still drivable if it's ECH no? Just can't drive in electric.
Not really the issue.

If their experience was anything like mine, the techs prefer to leave it partly disassembled in the shop, so they donā€™t need to double up on labor time for the job. (Put it back together just to take it apart again) Since they only have one 4xe certified tech, the poor guy is already overloaded handling all 4xe customers.

In my case, my dealership had an arrangement with Enterprise which allowed them to rent to me any available FCA vehicle, charged back to the dealership. I donā€™t know if thatā€™s area specific, but worth asking.

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Not really the issue.

If their experience was anything like mine, the techs prefer to leave it partly disassembled in the shop, so they donā€™t need to double up on labor time for the job. (Put it back together just to take it apart again) Since they only have one 4xe certified tech, the poor guy is already overloaded handling all 4xe customers.

In my case, my dealership had an arrangement with Enterprise which allowed them to rent to me any available FCA vehicle, charged back to the dealership. I donā€™t know if thatā€™s area specific, but worth asking.
It seems some dealerships are diagnosing without disassembling, and sending people on their way with their 4xe, while the parts are on order, then they come back in at a later date with their 4xe to be fixed.

DewHawk

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD, '04 M3
Occupation
USAF F-16 Crew Chief
It seems some dealerships are diagnosing without disassembling, and sending people on their way with their 4xe, while the parts are on order, then they come back in at a later date with their 4xe to be fixed.
Thatā€™s really hit or miss though. Youā€™re basically rolling the dice that the dealer doesnā€™t just say ā€œdeal with itā€ and keep your Jeep until they can fix it. Personally, thatā€™s a hell of a gamble to make considering how the whole ā€œloaner/rentalā€ system works differently damn near every dealership in the nation.

Rebecca Ryan

First Name
Rebecca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara 4xe
She's probably referencing the ECH. The struggle is real with this thing. Seems like everybody is having it fail on them.
Yes, this is what I'm waiting for... 2 weeks so far. They said it's 'not drivable' as it is, so it must be because it's disassembled, because it was fine on my way into the shop. My engine light went on after multiple attempts to drive in full electric. I guess their fear is that I wouldn't push the e-save button at every start, to ensure no battery power is used even in the hybrid mode. Idk. I have an Enterprise rental I'm paying out of pocket for, that they'll eventually reimburse me for. I'm just over the constant issues and things backordered from the factory.
I had no issues with my 2015 Wrangler... till it rolled onto my wrist. šŸ˜’šŸ˜­
This 2021 has been nothing but issue after issue.
Sponsored