Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Question for those who had the coolant heater replaced already:

do you hear a water rushing sound in / under the cabin when you start the Jeep now?

ever since mine was replaced 6 months ago, i am hearing this at start.

it sounds to me like there is air in the system that wasn’t purged properly.
yes!!! It’s not. Consistent either
Sponsored

murrdangelo

First Name
Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
Took ours in today for this issue. To our local dealership that is very small.

The service guy told us he'd seen this issue once before, but that one charged while on-site so there wasn't anything they could do. I clearly told him charging wasn't the issue - usage of electricity is the issue, as in it won't! I gave him the service bulletin about the heater, so we'll see what happens.

If they can't resolve the issue, I'll take it to Denver where another forum member took his. That dealership replaced the heater, and his Jeep is doing fine last I heard.
Which Denver dealer did the other forum member take his 4xe for the heater fix? Thanks!

fogby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Which Denver dealer did the other forum member take his 4xe for the heater fix? Thanks!
Pretty sure it was Miller in Denver. I ended up selling mine to AutoNation this past Monday. They gave me more than expected, and it certainly looks like used car values are on the way down. So decided to sell. I'll probably replace the 4xe in the spring when the auto market corrects itself. But for where I live, I'll get ICE of some sort.

We're about 1.5 hours from the closest capable dealership, if Jeep can have a capable dealership. Just decided to eliminate the potential for future headaches.

murrdangelo

First Name
Murray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
Pretty sure it was Miller in Denver. I ended up selling mine to AutoNation this past Monday. They gave me more than expected, and it certainly looks like used car values are on the way down. So decided to sell. I'll probably replace the 4xe in the spring when the auto market corrects itself. But for where I live, I'll get ICE of some sort.

We're about 1.5 hours from the closest capable dealership, if Jeep can have a capable dealership. Just decided to eliminate the potential for future headaches.
Thanks! Will call Miller. Hopefully I can find a dealer that will not give the run around.

Sponsored

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
When it rains, it pours.

I’m now dealing with this issue too. Number five on my list.

CsD

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
When it rains, it pours.

I’m now dealing with this issue too. Number five on my list.
That sucks. I actually called another dealer today to take it in and have them the exact star case number. Hoping when I bring it in next week they can actually do something.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
That sucks. I actually called another dealer today to take it in and have them the exact star case number. Hoping when I bring it in next week they can actually do something.
Fingers crossed. My plan is to arrange for a rental, and leave a copy of u/Shasta_Steve scanned instructions on the seat.

I’m trying to negotiate an no-cost exchange, and see if the 2023’s are any better. Five major issues in less than two years, with over 30 days in shop, is not good.

Jeepney2

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Shasta_Steve, is there a place in the manual that states the ICE will start at 15f?
My manual just says it’ll run “when started in very cold temperatures”. My ICE is starting now pretty regularly with the “cabin cooling/heating“ message. Jeep dealer said they fixed it by cycling the Max Regen button…of course it isn’t fixed.
I told the service guy about the TSB, but I’d like to show up next time with the hard copy(thanks for that btw) and the statement in the manual.
thx

krayjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
My ICE has been coming on now immediately that the morning temperature is less than 50 degrees F. Sometimes it will stay on ICE the whole ride to work, even if I keep the heater off. If I turn the heater on at all now, ICE comes on no matter what. But when it's nicer outside in the afternoon, it runs on electric and won't give the cabin heat/cool issue when trying to get it run on electric only.

So to me it seems I have an issue since it is turning on the ICE automatically at a higher temperature than it needs to, but the fact that it will go to battery at all seems to me it may just be running properly but in a way that I do no want. Those YouTube clips have the owner never being able to use battery at all. He said he basically ran all gas for two months waiting for the part.

I don't want to waste my time messing with the dealership if the Jeep is doing what it is supposed to do even I would prefer it did it at a lower temperature.

This just started happening to me a few weeks ago when Fall weather hit. I have had it more than a year. I don't remember having this problem last winter. I did get my software updated for the first time this summer so maybe there was some "update" that triggered this behavior that may be, again, what it is supposed to do.

To illustrate, this morning, started up at 46 degrees, ICE ran for 5-10 minutes then went to all electric for rest of the drive for about 30 mins.

Thoughts?

Sponsored

CsD

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
My ICE has been coming on now immediately that the morning temperature is less than 50 degrees F. Sometimes it will stay on ICE the whole ride to work, even if I keep the heater off. If I turn the heater on at all now, ICE comes on no matter what. But when it's nicer outside in the afternoon, it runs on electric and won't give the cabin heat/cool issue when trying to get it run on electric only.

So to me it seems I have an issue since it is turning on the ICE automatically at a higher temperature than it needs to, but the fact that it will go to battery at all seems to me it may just be running properly but in a way that I do no want. Those YouTube clips have the owner never being able to use battery at all. He said he basically ran all gas for two months waiting for the part.

I don't want to waste my time messing with the dealership if the Jeep is doing what it is supposed to do even I would prefer it did it at a lower temperature.

This just started happening to me a few weeks ago when Fall weather hit. I have had it more than a year. I don't remember having this problem last winter. I did get my software updated for the first time this summer so maybe there was some "update" that triggered this behavior that may be, again, what it is supposed to do.

To illustrate, this morning, started up at 46 degrees, ICE ran for 5-10 minutes then went to all electric for rest of the drive for about 30 mins.

Thoughts?
That’s how my issues started as well. It’s now 100% all the time. Sure it’ll go into all electric after running for like 20 minutes, but only for a short period and it goes right back into cabin heating and cooling. I never had that issue last year. Mines going into a different dealership tomorrow. Hoping they diagnose it correctly.
Keep an eye on it, hopefully you aren’t having the issue, but seems to be happening more and more to owners.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
For anyone reading this in the future, I was able to track down a copy of the entire star case mentioned by u/Shasta_Steve. I would suggest showing this to your dealer if you get the "Cabin Cooling or Heating" error. Case number S2208000027, attached. And if your service department doesn't take the issue seriously, find another dealership to work with.

Attachments

CsD

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
Just a quick update. Ended up taking it to another Jeep dealership and they have diagnosed my issue with a bad ECH as well. Good news is that they are able to get the part next day. Only negative is that I had to take it to two dealerships to get it fixed.

edited: picked it up today after the repair. Is working like a charm. Sent all the paper work to the other dealership in hopes they can educate themselves in the event it havens to anyone else in the area

Last edited:

krayjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe

Thoughts?
Update: First-time GO on my visit to the dealer. Brought in the Star case notes. They called to say they had replaced the ECH within 6 hours. Just picked it up, so I will have to make sure the problem is solved, but I was happy not to have to try to convince anyone or go to another dealer. Thanks for the help, team.

colojeepr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubi

I've had really good luck with Pollard. The rare single brand dealer.
Sponsored