MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have the money and the approval from the wife, but still not sure what I want to do. When I buy a vehicle I like to buy them exactly the way I want it.

I have no interest in their crappy 2” lift. Don’t care for the shocks I’m going to replace anyway.

No interest in a painted top. My JK was the last Jeep with leather seats I ever wanted to buy. Learned my lesson there. All my other cars I have leather and it’s great, not so much on a hot day with no top or doors.

I already tried the mopar beadlock capable wheels and they don’t have enough backspacing for my needs.

No manual trans sucks, but sooner or later I was going to run into that.

Adaptive cruise? I have that on my ‘19, causes all sorts of issues on a lifted vehicle and requires dealer calibration when replacing a windshield or getting an alignment. Though it works nice when working.

Does the V8 outweigh all these things I don’t want? Maybe, still deciding. Yes I realize I could sell some of the parts as takeoffs.

Given the option I may have been willing to pay the same price/premium to get it the way I want it.
Sponsored

TowDawg

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Unlimited, BMW 535M, Dodge Viper, Hummer H1, race cars, motorhome, general toys.
To review:
$75k BASE is outrageous. Why?

-Look at where the Hellcat Challenger/ Charger launched (~$63k BASE)
-Look at where the Ram TRX is launching (~$68k BASE)
-People have previously mentioned in THIS thread they are planning on ordering and their dealer contacts tell them it is a $9500 Option, based on information available in the dealer ordering system.
-Someone else already did the math, with that option it puts a 392 Rubi STARTING around $65k
-@TXRubicon has said Embargo lifts at Midnight EST, and he's going to be dropping the goods.

I'm sure an optioned up, dealer marked up 392 CAN hit $75k, but not at BASE.
Like I said, it really depends on what all options they wrap into the "base" vehicle available with the 392. A current 2021 fully optioned Rubicon is over $68k. If they make the 392 completely loaded with basically no options, I could definitely see $75k.
If they happen to offer it in a more stripped down trim level where you still have to add a bunch of options, I agree that $75k would be a stupid base price.

Willy's Commando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Sport, 2009 Challenger R/T, 2019 Dodge Hellcat, 2019 JLU Rubicon
Putting up for sale my 2019 Rubi tomorrow, so long as the 392 Rubi fully loaded is 80k or below I’m good. It’s going to look sweet next to my cat in the garage.
Jeep Wrangler JL Update: Reveal Coming Nov 17 @ 12PM ET! Production 392 Hemi V8 Jeep Wrangler Officially Teased! 20EB630B-10CA-4AFD-9DF4-32844B40C700

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
This motoring.com.au article also mentions a two stage exhaust and an automatic transmission. They also say that a 2dr model has not been mentioned and that a similar model for the Gladiator is unlikely.
https://www.motoring.com.au/v8-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-392-to-debut-tonight-127334/
I think they're suggesting merely that a 392 Gladiator is unlikely for Australia, not that it's unlikely overall.

That said, I'm somewhat skeptical that the Gladiator will get it. Wrangler needed an engine to best a 2.7l Bronco. Gladiator has no such imminent competition. Jeep doesn't need to push the HEMI into the Gladiator, although they certainly could just want a cash grab.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Again, many people can barely drive the wrangler now due to all the alleged steering issues, add in a Hemi and I’m pretty sure it’s gonna end bad.
I agree. Someone with more money than sense will underestimate road conditions, overestimate their and the Wrangler’s capabilities, feel invincible and end up getting hurt and sideways in a ditch.
Major changes to the mechanics of the Jeep are gonna bring on issues of their own, which will pile up on top of the list of old issues. I may be wrong tho.
You’re not.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
^^^
I’ll explain it to you. Cost, efficiency (you’re wrong there - have numerous friends who own both...) & reliability. The KISS principle applies here.
The 392 is overkill in a Wrangler. Doesn’t make sense to me.
I can see it in a Grand Cherokee or similar SUV, but Wrangler, a niche vehicle - No. YMMV
Ah opinion. Gotcha. About like I have and you think I’m wrong.

As a former engine builder who has experience with both, I appreciate the 392 more as it’s mostly the same in operation with a higher VE. With the CURRENT eco mode, the mileage MIGHT be 1 mpg on the hwy different at most. They both offer cyl deactivation 4 cyl mode. The complexity is the same.

The extra 75? Lb-ft aren’t overkill anymore than they are for the diesel. It’s silly to bother with the V8 and not go at the competition with something comparable to what they’re bringing and I think 450hp with torque down low for Jeeping makes the most sense. Just my opinion...but not wrong.

@minutemen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '20 JLUR
Since some of the info is already out there, I'll say this - This isn't going to be an engine-only upgrade. This is going to be a Rubicon only model that has just about every available Rubicon option group as standard equipment in the price, including color-matched fenders and hardtop.
It's probably unlikely but I'm really hoping it doesn't come standard with leather. Not a fan of burning my butt cheeks on a hot summer day :surprised:

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
It's probably unlikely but I'm really hoping it doesn't come standard with leather. Not a fan of burning my butt cheeks on a hot summer day :surprised:
Live in FL, black leather is for sure an ouch factor but I had a Polaris Slingshot that had black neoprene seats and if you did not cover them your butt would burn for 40 miles. But I would live with the butt burn if I had the hemi under the hood

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Remember that most of that is a form of "launch edition". It almost certainly will have the option for black top/fenders, cloth seats, m/t or a/t tires. What it will never have is a manual tranny or 2 doors. It may not even have the Rock Trac full-time 4x4 option.

Jnrscaping

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara
I'll be happy if you're right on this.
I meeeeaaaannnn; I’d be happier than A pig in shit; but I highly doubt it. The 9,500 extra for the 392 yes it’s believable, but with 35’s and a lift I don’t think so unfortunately. I’d be super stoked if it was though!!!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Willy's Commando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Sport, 2009 Challenger R/T, 2019 Dodge Hellcat, 2019 JLU Rubicon
I priced basically fully loaded ecodiesel comes out to 67k probably looking at another 7K for the 392. Im thinking 75K for fully loaded 1st edition 392 but I wouldn’t be surprised at 80k
Jeep Wrangler JL Update: Reveal Coming Nov 17 @ 12PM ET! Production 392 Hemi V8 Jeep Wrangler Officially Teased! C44CB1F1-888E-4DA9-B705-07A9388A0CA5

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
TFL car is reporting same thing as Fox news. 470 hp/470 lb ft. 4.5 0-60
13 sec 1/4 mile.

AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.