OP

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
The computer won't let it overheat, it would go into limp mode and shut down first. IF they really were driving it and it got hot they would have known and there would have been a code.
An air pocket will do exactly what you said happened. Get rid of the air pocket and it's good as new. No harm done.

Let them address it and give it back to you. Then just go out and enjoy.
Thanks!

so how would air get in the line? They replaced the engine oil filter housing. I wonder if they had to do anything with the coolant system. My Jeep was cooling off for 10 min before they came and poured in coolant. So Im concerned of cracks in the engine from the temperature change. I know usually you have to let it cool for like 30 min.
Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Thanks!

so how would air get in the line? They replaced the engine oil filter housing. I wonder if they had to do anything with the coolant system. My Jeep was cooling off for 10 min before they came and poured in coolant. So Im concerned of cracks in the engine from the temperature change. I know usually you have to let it cool for like 30 min.
How the air got in there I don't know. If they had to remove any hoses and/or drain the coolant to get to the housing and replace it then when they filled it an air bubble could have been introduced. How hot did it get? What temps did you see?

OP
OP

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
How the air got in there I don't know. If they had to remove any hoses and/or drain the coolant to get to the housing and replace it then when they filled it an air bubble could have been introduced. How hot did it get? What temps did you see?
I didnt see the actual temp. It just went all the way to the end and said high engine temp so I pulled over and turned it off. After a few min it got to halfway and I drove it only to get up all the way to the end again. I asked them to give me an explanation. When they drove it back with topped off coolant they said it was ok and didnt overheat. I wonder if the coolant system was messed with during the repair. I didnt get any word on it. Just losing my confidence in these people.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Thanks!

3.0L ECODIESEL Oil Filter/Cooler Assembly Mopar

One of these has to be a channel/passage for coolant.
Jeep Wrangler JL Update on oil leak after oil filter housing and timing chain cover replaced $_10(4).JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Update on oil leak after oil filter housing and timing chain cover replaced $_10(3).JPG

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Probably don't even need that whole assembly. I'd bet it's just that #15 o-ring/seal. Probably got cut upon original installation.
3a988057e4bdee2d8d13481d3e564d9d.png
UPDATE!!!

The part finally was made and delivered to the dealer last week.

After 4 months of waiting they finally started to work on it only to find out they needed a gasket which had to be ordered. Thankfully that was not back ordered. So today I finally got the call my car is ready so I went to pick it up. It was nicely detailed and only had 2 additional miles on the odometer.

I pick it up and drive it home but as soon as I get on the freeway after a couple minutes of driving it OVERHEATED. I pulled over called the dealer back, let it cool and drove it stopping each time the temp went up. They sent my service advisor with coolant and as soon as the opened the reservoir it gushed out. They claim there was an air bubble and they topped it off and took the car back.

So Im back in my rental with the jeep back at the dealer. Hopefully this overheating is nothing serious. I am for some reason not surprised although disappointed.

My issue is that they said they have been driving it all day and Im worried it had overheated and no one did anything.

second its not right to pour coolant into an oveheating engine. How do I know it didnt crack the block.

Should I take this car back or lemon it?
I'm not saying I'm right mind you, but this seems pretty close to what I was saying. Goofy tech at your dealership probably saw it leaking and wrongly assumed the housing was bad and didn't think about the seal. But we'll never know.

Sponsored

OP
OP

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
I'm not saying I'm right mind you, but this seems pretty close to what I was saying. Goofy tech at your dealership probably saw it leaking and wrongly assumed the housing was bad and didn't think about the seal. But we'll never know.

You are right I told them that I think they can get just the gasket and they said no.

I personally think the car overheated because it was sitting for 4 months and the thermostat got stuck. Something they would have not caught if they drove it. They lied and said they drove it all day. I only saw 2 miles extra on the odometer and the autostart said not active because battery is charging.

OP
OP

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. or could it be the thermostat got stuck since it was sitting for 4 months on the lot.

What if they say they couldn't find anything wrong?
Yeah I don't think it was a stuck thermostat. I can about guarantee that they will have no explanation for you. My guess is the Tech just didn't try to purge the air out after doing this repair.

OP
OP

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Yeah I don't think it was a stuck thermostat. I can about guarantee that they will have no explanation for you. My guess is the Tech just didn't try to purge the air out after doing this repair.
If they forgot to purge it would it overheat again? or would it resolve on its own? and how would you troubleshoot that?

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If they forgot to purge it would it overheat again? or would it resolve on its own? and how would you troubleshoot that?
I'm not a mechanic, though I work on all my rigs and I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. I do not think an engine will normally just purge itself of air. Usually you can find the highest point in the cooling system and loosen a clamp or what have you and get the air out there. Some times takes a bit of doing to get all the air out.

I do not think it is hard by any means. I just think the guy flat forgot, or is somewhat of a newb and didn't know. Of course I'm just speculating with this whole scenario. I could be way off.

I will say like the other poster mentioned, there won't or at least shouldn't be anything wrong with your rig if it just had a little air in it. I mean things can always be worse than we expect, but I really think your Jeep will be just fine.

I saw in another thread that you're not happy with the 3.0L. Or at least your experience with this particular Jeep anyway. Man just trade the thing in. Go to the right dealer and you will get a great deal on a new one. Life is too short, get what you want.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
I'm not a mechanic, though I work on all my rigs and I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. I do not think an engine will normally just purge itself of air. Usually you can find the highest point in the cooling system and loosen a clamp or what have you and get the air out there. Some times takes a bit of doing to get all the air out.

I do not think it is hard by any means. I just think the guy flat forgot, or is somewhat of a newb and didn't know. Of course I'm just speculating with this whole scenario. I could be way off.

I will say like the other poster mentioned, there won't or at least shouldn't be anything wrong with your rig if it just had a little air in it. I mean things can always be worse than we expect, but I really think you're Jeep will be just fine.

I saw in another thread that you're not happy with the 3.0L. Or at least your experience with this particular Jeep anyway. Man just trade the thing in. Go to the right dealer and you will get a great deal on a new one. Life is too short, get what you want.
Hey you may not be a mechanic and speculating but sound very educated and I appreciate and respect what you have said. I'm a cancer doctor and think critically when diagnosing things and look to solve problems that have no explanation. Yes Ive been frustrated but going to give it a chance before trading it in and waiting months. Problem is everything is more expensive and not interested in anything at the moment. I keep cars for a long time and its disappointing that a new car at 7K miles is doing this. Hope this problem resolved itself and nothing more to look forward to in the near future. Thanks again for all your input.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey you may not be a mechanic and speculating but sound very educated and I appreciate and respect what you have said. I'm a cancer doctor and think critically when diagnosing things and look to solve problems that have no explanation. Yes Ive been frustrated but going to give it a chance before trading it in and waiting months. Problem is everything is more expensive and not interested in anything at the moment. I keep cars for a long time and its disappointing that a new car at 7K miles is doing this. Hope this problem resolved itself and nothing more to look forward to in the near future. Thanks again for all your input.
Same here.

Your issue was super trivial in the grand scheme of things. You just had what seems like a crummy diagnosis and a subpar repair with a few hiccups. If that is your Jeep's only issue I think I'd count it as a win. Although it's beyond frustrating to have been out of your rig for so long (I would have freaked BTW) I really think the worst is behind you.

Having said that I want to ask if you drive on the highway much? Because if you don't, you may want to look into one of the ScanGauge II's that you may have seen folks on here talking about. I'd just hate for some emissions thing to bite you after the wait you just went through.

OP
OP

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Update on the situation.

A service manage, different than my advisor called me saying that the reason it oveheated was that it was "air locked" due to air getting into a line. He said when changing the part they should have bled the system but didnt. He also admitted that they did not test drive the car after and called that unacceptable.

I reminded him that my service advisor told me they drove my car "all day" on two occasions that latter being when he came to me on the side of the road. Yet when I got in to drive the car off the lot I knew they had not because my battery was not fully charged since the auto stop/start would not engage due to that and also because my odometer only had 2 miles on it from when I dropped the car off.

So he drove the car about 17 miles and it was ok and wants to keep it another day and drive it again before giving it back which Im ok with.

Now aside from a free rental that I had during this time should I ask for something for consolation? Maybe throw in a mopar lift kit or half off at least?

rcliff1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 tj, 2014 Mustang GT, 2017 Ford F350 Dually, 2020 Diesel Rubicon on order
I curious how bad your oil leak was. A minor oil leak is no reason not to drive a car while you are waiting on parts. You just keep an eye on your oil level. Cars from the 70's and 80's leaked every where, we still drove them until we got them fixed. That's why driveways had oil stains on them.

OP
OP

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
I curious how bad your oil leak was. A minor oil leak is no reason not to drive a car while you are waiting on parts. You just keep an eye on your oil level. Cars from the 70's and 80's leaked every where, we still drove them until we got them fixed. That's why driveways had oil stains on them.

My entire diff and axle was soaked, it wasnt gushing or anything. In retrospect I could have driven it but then decided to keep it. I told them I will take it until they get the part but they told me not too. Yea cars leak, I own Porsches that leak but this was leaking new.
Sponsored