Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
Taking it in tomorrow. So far no leak on the floor but oil pooling on the bolts and leaking on the diff which you can see glistening. I hope they can fix it with a gasket or seal of some sort and don't tell me I need a new engine or its not repairable. Jeep is running and driving fine. I'm worried about the incompetence of this dealer but hope being a star case will help. Here's a pic of how it looks tonight before going in. Should I say or do anything different? Im trying to go in with a good attitude but its difficult considering they didnt diagnose and fix the problem then caused my Jeep to over heat because they didnt drive it after and lied that they did.
Just plan on adding dye and picking it back up. You will drive it for a while until the leak can be easily traced back to the origin.
Sponsored

OP
OP

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Just plan on adding dye and picking it back up. You will drive it for a while until the leak can be easily traced back to the origin.
They said they cant pin point it and there is already dye in it, but they think its from the left timing chain cover. So they need to order the part and the gaskets which take a couple weeks. I asked about the dye they said its already in. Hopefully when they take it apart they can see where its coming from. They said its from above the oil cooler and they used "mirrors" to try to see. STAR didnt really help looks like they just gave bulletins on how to find the source. I feel like today was a waste. Now I have to wait 2 weeks and take it in. I thought it would just be a gasket not sure why the whole thing needs to be replaced especially if they dont know for sure.

Last edited:

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
They said they cant pin point it and there is already dye in it, but they think its from the left timing chain cover. So they need to order the part and the gaskets which take a couple weeks. I asked about the dye they said its already in. Hopefully when they take it apart they can see where its coming from. They said its from above the oil cooler and they used "mirrors" to try to see. STAR didnt really help looks like they just gave bulletins on how to find the source. I feel like today was a waste. Now I have to wait 2 weeks and take it in. I thought it would just be a gasket not sure why the whole thing needs to be replaced especially if they dont know for sure.
Well, this may, or may not apply. My timing cover had a slow leak. We used dye to trace it. I took it back and they started repairs. That's when they found out that we needed part 68524869AA . It was on backorder. Just a head's up, ask if the procedure to put it back together requires these tubes. Then ask if they're in stock. good luck!

OP
OP

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Well, this may, or may not apply. My timing cover had a slow leak. We used dye to trace it. I took it back and they started repairs. That's when they found out that we needed part 68524869AA . It was on backorder. Just a head's up, ask if the procedure to put it back together requires these tubes. Then ask if they're in stock. good luck!

They told me yesterday the timing cover is not on back order and should be here in 2 weeks. Because I dont believe them I decided to call parts and ask about the part availability and they said its not available and on back order. I had asked the service manager about the tubes you mentioned and he didnt seem to think it was needed. I wonder if I should just order it because I cant believe a word they say. Honestly Im thinking of pursuing a buy back. This has been a bad experience. If I do a buy back it will take me months to get another one and I have to take a few mods off. Im pissed to say the least.

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
They told me yesterday the timing cover is not on back order and should be here in 2 weeks. Because I dont believe them I decided to call parts and ask about the part availability and they said its not available and on back order. I had asked the service manager about the tubes you mentioned and he didnt seem to think it was needed. I wonder if I should just order it because I cant believe a word they say. Honestly Im thinking of pursuing a buy back. This has been a bad experience. If I do a buy back it will take me months to get another one and I have to take a few mods off. Im pissed to say the least.
These tubes are marked as a one-time-use part with Jeep. They arent supposed to use them a second time. My dealer did. Thats the only way I got my Jeep back. My dealer had to bill them on the invoice just to get paid for the warranty repair. They were not due in for another month and that wasnt guaranteed.

Sponsored

OP
OP

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
These tubes are marked as a one-time-use part with Jeep. They arent supposed to use them a second time. My dealer did. Thats the only way I got my Jeep back. My dealer had to bill them on the invoice just to get paid for the warranty repair. They were not due in for another month and that wasnt guaranteed.
They arent expensive should I just order it incase these incompetent people decide that they need it? If its one time use then I dont see why not.

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
They arent expensive should I just order it incase these incompetent people decide that they need it? If its one time use then I dont see why not.
ha! yes, I'd have them on hand. I think I was 9th in line for a set at the time. If the technician follows the repair procedure then he will need them.

However, they have done several of these 3rd gen ecodiesel timing cover leaks at this point. They might have a secret work-around that they arent broadcasting to the public.

OP
OP

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
ha! yes, I'd have them on hand. I think I was 9th in line for a set at the time. If the technician follows the repair procedure then he will need them.

However, they have done several of these 3rd gen ecodiesel timing cover leaks at this point. They might have a secret work-around that they arent broadcasting to the public.

So I found out today that my timing chain cover will come in a couple days but called the parts department and ordered the Tube kit that is 45 days out. They dont know if they need it but I told them that Im concerned they will get in there and need it so want to make sure they have it. So Im going to delay my repair until that is in. You sure Im going to need that? I rather be safe.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Put it this way, you ain't gonna run out of oil in that time frame so....

Just check the level on flat ground every week. You'll be fine.

OP
OP

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Put it this way, you ain't gonna run out of oil in that time frame so....

Just check the level on flat ground every week. You'll be fine.
Im not worried about running out of oil. I just want it fixed. So I rather wait and have it done right. It just sucks that I have to be proactive and order this which I did because they dont look ahead. I can feel myself being a pain in the ass with them but I told them Im trying to help them help me. I dont want my car opened up and then to say we need this which will take more months. Im going off the experiences of others here for this repair. I hope they dont mess things up or do a sloppy job because they see me as an annoyance, which Im not trying to be.

Sponsored

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Im not worried about running out of oil. I just want it fixed. So I rather wait and have it done right. It just sucks that I have to be proactive and order this which I did because they dont look ahead. I can feel myself being a pain in the ass with them but I told them Im trying to help them help me. I dont want my car opened up and then to say we need this which will take more months. Im going off the experiences of others here for this repair. I hope they dont mess things up or do a sloppy job because they see me as an annoyance, which Im not trying to be.
You are 110% right to keep an eye on them and hold their hand at this point.

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
So I found out today that my timing chain cover will come in a couple days but called the parts department and ordered the Tube kit that is 45 days out. They dont know if they need it but I told them that Im concerned they will get in there and need it so want to make sure they have it. So Im going to delay my repair until that is in. You sure Im going to need that? I rather be safe.
I waited 2 months for mine, I sure hope it wasnt for nothing. I'll post up my service invoice later when I get home. I think it's in the Jeep glove box.

OP
OP

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
I went under to look more today. Its hard to see where the leak is coming or to prove its the timing cover but this pic may be the money shot.

Jeep Wrangler JL Update on oil leak after oil filter housing and timing chain cover replaced IMG_7123

My oil pan is soaked and dripping now and my diff is completely soaked.

Jeep Wrangler JL Update on oil leak after oil filter housing and timing chain cover replaced IMG_7128

Jeep Wrangler JL Update on oil leak after oil filter housing and timing chain cover replaced IMG_7127

Jeep Wrangler JL Update on oil leak after oil filter housing and timing chain cover replaced IMG_7124

And theres more pooling here too.

Jeep Wrangler JL Update on oil leak after oil filter housing and timing chain cover replaced IMG_7104 (2)

Look typical for timing cover leak? could it be also the oil pan too? Ive ordered the tubing kit and waiting on that to change to timing cover.

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
In their defense, leaks can be very difficult to find. I have been chasing a tiny coolant leak in my Cummins diesel for 4 years. Yes, 4 friggin' years. I had convinced myself it was the heater core but I never smelled any coolant inside the truck, only outside. And the carpet never got wet nor did the windshield fog up. I was about to pull the dash and replace the heater core because I absolutely could not find anything else, but by some act of God I was laying under my truck changing the oil and watched a drop of coolant fall from the seam between the fender and the firewall, onto the control arm. I got a flashlight and crawled on top of the engine to find a loose heater hose clamp where the heater core comes through the firewall. I tightened that up and it's been fine ever since. It's one of the most simple, satisfying repairs I've ever completed. Here's hoping they find the source, and best of luck with your Jeep.

OP
OP

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Apparently the Tube kit for the fuel lines that are one time use and mentioned above by Overland have over 500 people waiting for it with cars sitting in dealers.

That means there are likely 500 known timing cover leaks currently. I wonder why there is no bulletin and why my dealer is saying my car is the first they have seen. This has been an issue on the Rams for years and its still going on. Jeep needs to address this and come up with a solution.
Sponsored