OP

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Hi guys Im back to give an update on the leak. So after the oil filter adapter was changed the car sat for a bit and I did not see any leak. I drove it a couple hundred miles and noticed a leak when I went under it. It was on all the bolts and those circular things. Still no drip on the floor though. I thought maybe it was not cleaned well, which I know it was. So I cleaned it and drove it another couple hundred miles in 1 day, which is my commute, and I noticed pooling on the bolts.

Jeep Wrangler JL Update on oil leak after oil filter housing and timing chain cover replaced oil leak2

Where does this look like it could be coming from? I know people say timing chain cover but the dealer was confident it was the oil filter adapter 68566093aa initially which was changed. I havent brought it back yet.

For those who have had leaks what did you find it was? This leak is minor but annoying that its happening around 7K miles. The question is do I just live with it. Im used to cars that leak coming but not this early.
Sponsored

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
Hi guys Im back to give an update on the leak. So after the oil filter adapter was changed the car sat for a bit and I did not see any leak. I drove it a couple hundred miles and noticed a leak when I went under it. It was on all the bolts and those circular things. Still no drip on the floor though. I thought maybe it was not cleaned well, which I know it was. So I cleaned it and drove it another couple hundred miles in 1 day, which is my commute, and I noticed pooling on the bolts.

Where does this look like it could be coming from? I know people say timing chain cover but the dealer was confident it was the oil filter adapter 68566093aa initially which was changed. I havent brought it back yet.

For those who have had leaks what did you find it was? This leak is minor but annoying that its happening around 7K miles. The question is do I just live with it. Im used to cars that leak coming but not this early.
I'd tell them to use UV dye.
Agree with the dye. On my first trip with an oil leak my dealer changed the fluid and added dye. They asked me to drive it until it leaked again and then bring it back. Best way to track down a leak. All you're really seeing down there are the effects of gravity.

OP
OP

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
I tried getting in with another dealer but no one in my area is accepting new customers. I contacted my Jeep rep who helped me get the previous leak fixed by expediting the part (4 month wait) and she helped me get into the same dealer and recommended a STAR case.

Anyone have experience with a STAR case and do you think it will help? I recommended that last time but the dealer shrugged it off saying it was not necessary. I hope it doesn't piss them off and they get it fixed.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
If you wanna take matters into your own hands the dye kit from autozone is like $20. At least you’ll know they’re in the right area when you finally get in. In my opinion even before Covid the caliber of technician was bottom barrel - and not just at dealers. Try finding anyone to rebuild a carb you’re better off doing it yourself.

Sponsored

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Within 2 weeks of purchasing my brand new 2020 JL I noticed oil pooling on bolts underneath the engine similar to yours. Dealer identified it as coming from a "nicked" head gasket which must have happened during assembly. They replaced it under warranty and that did the trick. No leaks since.

OP
OP

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Within 2 weeks of purchasing my brand new 2020 JL I noticed oil pooling on bolts underneath the engine similar to yours. Dealer identified it as coming from a "nicked" head gasket which must have happened during assembly. They replaced it under warranty and that did the trick. No leaks since.

I have no faith in the dealer after they fixed my car only to have it overheat 2 min after driving it off. I think I have the same problem as you so hope they can fix it. I worry they will mess something else up in the process. Ive considered taking it to an independent shop but worried it would void my warranty or risk not covering future repairs. How long was your car in the shop and was there a wait for the part?

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have no faith in the dealer after they fixed my car only to have it overheat 2 min after driving it off. I think I have the same problem as you so hope they can fix it. I worry they will mess something else up in the process. Ive considered taking it to an independent shop but worried it would void my warranty or risk not covering future repairs. How long was your car in the shop and was there a wait for the part?
I was fortunate that I have a dealer who took very good care of me. They gave me a brand new loaner vehicle and had my Jeep repaired and returned to me within 2 days. No problems since.

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm curious which dealer that is for future reference :like:
Mac Haik in Georgetown. I've had great customer service from the moment I stepped on their lot. And after reading a lot of the posts on here about other dealerships, that seems pretty rare.

Sponsored

OP
OP

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
I g
Mac Haik in Georgetown. I've had great customer service from the moment I stepped on their lot. And after reading a lot of the posts on here about other dealerships, that seems pretty rare.

My dealership gave me a rental for 3 months. It was a 2L 2019 sahara. Except it was extremely dirty. I I enjoyed driving it and had to oil change it during the 4 months I had it and got another rental. They were very nice. What I didnt like was that they lied to me about driving my car after the repair which they didnt. Ive been ignored by the service manager since finding the leak again but have an appointment to take it in this week.

The leak is very slow and has not dripped on the floor yet after almost 500 miles of highway driving, but all the bolts have drops on them. Im hoping just like you its an easy fix and they dont screw anything up.

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
I tried getting in with another dealer but no one in my area is accepting new customers. I contacted my Jeep rep who helped me get the previous leak fixed by expediting the part (4 month wait) and she helped me get into the same dealer and recommended a STAR case.

Anyone have experience with a STAR case and do you think it will help? I recommended that last time but the dealer shrugged it off saying it was not necessary. I hope it doesn't piss them off and they get it fixed.
With our 2014 JKUR we had an HVAC issue that ended up becoming a STAR case. It took months to resolve, we kept our vehicle during that time. Once the case was sent to the factory/corporate it took a couple of months for a response which included testing locally. Dealer kept the vehicle a day or two for testing, we took it back while the results were sent out. A month or so for a fix. We took it back once the parts were all in, fixed that day. Time was the biggest issue for me, but we got through it. I don't plan to sell the 2014 when the 2021 shows up (if it shows up)

We would not accept an oil leak in a new vehicle today. We change the oil and rotate the tires 'religiously' at 4,000 miles and do the differentials frequently. Our last Ford F-250FX4, the Jeep TJ, and JKUR did not, do not leak. We do extended camping (some say overlanding), no rock crawling or mud fest, just get out away so we can pack even more away–

OP
OP

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
With our 2014 JKUR we had an HVAC issue that ended up becoming a STAR case. It took months to resolve, we kept our vehicle during that time. Once the case was sent to the factory/corporate it took a couple of months for a response which included testing locally. Dealer kept the vehicle a day or two for testing, we took it back while the results were sent out. A month or so for a fix. We took it back once the parts were all in, fixed that day. Time was the biggest issue for me, but we got through it. I don't plan to sell the 2014 when the 2021 shows up (if it shows up)

We would not accept an oil leak in a new vehicle today. We change the oil and rotate the tires 'religiously' at 4,000 miles and do the differentials frequently. Our last Ford F-250FX4, the Jeep TJ, and JKUR did not, do not leak. We do extended camping (some say overlanding), no rock crawling or mud fest, just get out away so we can pack even more away–
Thanks for sharing your experience. Im hoping to keep my car since its drivable and only has a minor leak. I do want it fixed and hope STAR case will help.

Austintatious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUS / 2021 JLUSD
Oh wow......well, I'm glad for you that you've had a great experience with them. Me, on the other hand, had purchased three new vehicles from them in the last four year and while I got a great deal on the purchase side their service side has been nothing but a nightmare.

I've heard good things about Maxwell in Taylor but haven't been out there yet.

OP
OP

SargeRubi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Taking it in tomorrow. So far no leak on the floor but oil pooling on the bolts and leaking on the diff which you can see glistening. I hope they can fix it with a gasket or seal of some sort and don't tell me I need a new engine or its not repairable. Jeep is running and driving fine. I'm worried about the incompetence of this dealer but hope being a star case will help. Here's a pic of how it looks tonight before going in. Should I say or do anything different? Im trying to go in with a good attitude but its difficult considering they didnt diagnose and fix the problem then caused my Jeep to over heat because they didnt drive it after and lied that they did.

Jeep Wrangler JL Update on oil leak after oil filter housing and timing chain cover replaced IMG_7104 (2)
Sponsored

Last edited: