Sponsored

(update)New engine, it broke again a month later.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
If it were my Jeep, the Oil Catch Can wouldn't have been installed, just because others were installing them. Especially since there are issues with full cans dumping the oil back on steep angles.
That being said, we don't even know if there is damage to the engine. It could be Hydro-locked with no damage. I would remove the plugs, scope the cylinders, and turn the engine over, without the plugs in. If hydro-locked, this will clear the cylinders, and allow you to determine if damage is done to the engine. Oh, scope each cylinder before turning it over, just to make sure the pistons and valves are where they should be. If it turns over freely, clean the plugs, re-install them and crank the engine up. If it runs like it should, rip out the catch can and thank your lucky stars.
But, what the hell do I know, I'm no mechanic.
Sponsored

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Oh crap, this became an eTorque thread pretty quick.

Jeep Wrangler JL (update)New engine, it broke again a month later. snagglepuss-exit-stage-left (1)

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
There are parts of the main trail that are pretty damn steep.
True, but they are easy ascents that take only a couple minutes at most. Normally, to get oil blowback and the associated heavy smoke you need to be at a very steep angle for an extended period, and working the engine hard. That can occur on some of the obstacles, especially the hot tubs, but never on the main trail.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The catch can goes on one of the main vacuum lines on the engine. Any interruption in vacuum, either a build up or sudden drop can cause issues. A poorly designed catch can would not be something I would want on my engine. As innocent as they seem, they cause a lot of issues and solve very few.

And I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that English is not the OP's first language, so maybe cut some slack for some of his odd word usage and inability to explain the problem well. Explosion means something much different to most of us.

Terrymo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR 3.6 ET
Clubs

My suggestion OP is to ask the mods to remove this thread and stay silent about this until it’s completely resolved. Because if attorney’s get involved, they will search social media for you posts if they can find them. It ‘s not near as hard as anyone thinks.
I think this is the best advice so far

Sponsored

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLUR, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
If it were my Jeep, the Oil Catch Can wouldn't have been installed, just because others were installing them. Especially since there are issues with full cans dumping the oil back on steep angles.
That being said, we don't even know if there is damage to the engine. It could be Hydro-locked with no damage. I would remove the plugs, scope the cylinders, and turn the engine over, without the plugs in. If hydro-locked, this will clear the cylinders, and allow you to determine if damage is done to the engine. Oh, scope each cylinder before turning it over, just to make sure the pistons and valves are where they should be. If it turns over freely, clean the plugs, re-install them and crank the engine up. If it runs like it should, rip out the catch can and thank your lucky stars.
A couple of years ago, I was moving things around in my shop and in my garage and my 73 Javelin had to sit out overight. It's got dual quads with a couple stack type air cleaners sticking through the hood.
The forecast was for 0% chance of rain, partly cloudy, etc. etc. etc.
Woke up the next morning to find we'd gotten 5" of rain in an hour.
@#$%#@$!!!
I went out and pulled the spark plugs and cranked it over a bit and watched water shoot clear out over the fenders into the yard. (these are the hump type fenders so that's saying a lot)
OK, better dig deeper - pulled the dipstick and yikes.
Got the car around back to my shop (luckily all down hill) and pulled the drain plug.
I bet over 2 gallons of water and oil came out.
I let it drain good for a few hours, put on fresh filter, new oil and ran it a bit. I drained it again, still a bit of water, the oil was sort of tan.
Did another oil and filter change, ran it again, rinse, repeat.
Not as much water showing.
Another filter, more oil - this time I watched the oil fill tube for any signs of water being steamed off and it was looking pretty good.
Ironically, this appears to have steam cleaned parts as I had the set the idle down and rebalance the carburetors. It went from a before idle of about 800 to over 1100 RPM.
I can imagine the possibilities had I just gotten in and tried to start it, or even just having pulled the plugs and cleared the water out and gone on my way.

LOL - covered it better than some of those working in shops as a mechanic.

Things seemed to get interesting when the dealer service manager sent me a text message.

IMG_8137.jpeg
AHA! the plot thickens!
Or, as Paul Harvey used to say...............

Anyway, they DID see the mods the first time..... hmmmmmmm................

Hey, if i was that shop, I'm sorry, but I'd be sitting on things until I know who the he!! was going to pay the bill! I mean - that's a lot of hours and materials. And around here, it's about $180/hour. Imagine taking 180 times the hours involved in an engine replacement!
Sorry, I can't blame the shop for not wanting to work on it. If they did - they might be out TWICE.
But - it can't hurt to get some legal advice to see if they can technically hold it and prevent you from going to a different shop. Since these shops are all connected - it might be a moot point going anywhere else, but getting advice from a real expert on legal matters might be wise.

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In addition, I also installed the catch can in the video, but it does not work!
Just a bit of advice - ignore most youtube videos, especially ones like that. There's more bad information out there than good on many topics.
As my boss of years ago called the internet - "misinformation stupid highway"
That was a play on the phrase "information superhighway" in case you aren't familiar with some of the idioms out there.
And he was correct.

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The catch can goes on one of the main vacuum lines on the engine. Any interruption in vacuum, either a build up or sudden drop can cause issues. A poorly designed catch can would not be something I would want on my engine. As innocent as they seem, they cause a lot of issues and solve very few.

And I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that English is not the OP's first language, so maybe cut some slack for some of his odd word usage and inability to explain the problem well. Explosion means something much different to most of us.
Reminds me of an event when I worked for government, IT, for a few years.
We had a brilliant Chinese-American in our department, he did a lot of research and was sort of a troubleshooter. (man, for some reason I can't recall his name right now - I'll just say "Joe")
And then there was Bernie, the then network administrator (I worked under him as network security admin for a while). Bernie used a lot of phrases, cliche types of things, idioms, he was old-school.
We were talking of some network issues and discussing who was blaming who for what out there and Bernie said "boy, that's the pot calling the kettle black".
Joe got this look of confusion and asked Bernie why he was talking about a pot and kettle.
Bernie said - you're a researcher - go research it.
Joe went into his office and after a few seconds we heard this long "OOooohhhhh" and we all laughed.
So yeah, point

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
My suggestion OP is to ask the mods to remove this thread and stay silent about this until it’s completely resolved. Because if attorney’s get involved, they will search social media for you posts if they can find them. It ‘s not near as hard as anyone thinks.
Kind of a little late for that. They have his Jeep, and the Catch Can is still on it. That, and this is issue number two, in a short amount of time.
My feeling is they are going to try to deny both repairs, because of the modifications, and they are sending a representative to oversee the engine exam. Once he sees the Non-Mopar installed Catch Can, it's game over, if any damage is seen in the engine. Remember, when we start modifying things, we run the risk of being our own warranty. But, what the hell do I know, I'm not a mechanic.

Sponsored

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase

RAD1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Willys V6 6MT w SOT Anvil
Occupation
Engineer
Things seemed to get interesting when the dealer service manager sent me a text message.

Jeep Wrangler JL (update)New engine, it broke again a month later. snagglepuss-exit-stage-left (1)
This is unfortunate. Reading the tea leaves, it's going to be a long shot to get FCA to cover your current situation. Hopefully, the new motor can be salvaged given your friend could turn the crankshaft.

OP
OP
daniel5678

daniel5678

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlu
Just a bit of advice - ignore most youtube videos, especially ones like that. There's more bad information out there than good on many topics.
As my boss of years ago called the internet - "misinformation stupid highway"
That was a play on the phrase "information superhighway" in case you aren't familiar with some of the idioms out there.
And he was correct.
thankyou sir
You taught me a lot and now I just have to wait for the results. If the warranty is refused, I will tow the Jeep to a repair shop I trust to have it repaired.

OP
OP
daniel5678

daniel5678

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlu
This is unfortunate. Reading the tea leaves, it's going to be a long shot to get FCA to cover your current situation. Hopefully, the new motor can be salvaged given your friend could turn the crankshaft.
thankyou
I will keep updating, if the new motor has fatal damage, then you may want to consider the Hemi 5.7, lol I like the 5.7 but don't like the 6.4

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
Working my way through this thread. When you say explosion, are you referring to a literal explosion or the engine blowing its load (of fluid that is) etc?

IMG_0718.gif
Sponsored