Sponsored

(update)New engine, it broke again a month later.

OP
OP
daniel5678

daniel5678

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlu
1 on a buddies, 1 hilariously right after an engine install, then 2 other erroneous ones have come through my bay. But you have more issues than just the starter with yours.
I've always suspected that some wires were not connected properly or were damaged when the new engine was installed. If so, how does a dealer check?
Sponsored

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT 6MT Sport & 2023 JL 2 Door 6MT Sport
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
I've always suspected that some wires were not connected properly or were damaged when the new engine was installed. If so, how does a dealer check?
Diagnostic procedures. Duplicate concern, identify symptoms, pinpoint areas of concern. Find cause

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Put a breaker bar on the crankshaft and it won’t turn over, then stop and call corporate because they’re about to put it on you.

Sponsored

OP
OP
daniel5678

daniel5678

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlu
Put a breaker bar on the crankshaft and it won’t turn over, then stop and call corporate because they’re about to put it on you.
I'm not sure when they can do the inspection yet, but judging from the dealer's attitude, they don't want to be responsible for me anymore. Hope everything goes well.

Santana74

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wrangler Sahara Altitude 3.0l, 18 Jaguar F-Pace
Pretty sure that’s Scooby-Doo
It is......but it was the 1st thing I thought of. Had it stuck in my head all day.

Banjomule

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, JK, JLU
Way off topic….. but you were right!
“Ruh roh Reorge” came before “ruh roh Raggy”

I just looked it up to confirm and it turns out both dogs were voiced by the same actor!

QUOTE="DaltonGang, post: 2534547, member: 24275"]
Ok guys. Just jump all over my ass for confusing the two cartoon dogs that are Ruffly(haha) 54 and 60 years old. I will try to do better. :(
[/QUOTE]

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

The most likely scenario here is no start due to nothing but the electrical issue and the smoking is 100% normal for the obstical.
I've done Hell's Revenge a few times and have never had the two Jeeps I've done it in smoke.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
The current guess is indeed an electrical issue. When I saw the smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe, I immediately turned off the car. After I went to a safe place and tried to start it, it wouldn't start. The next day I tried the crank bolt (it can turn and works in both directions, but I didn't try to turn it once). Some people here think that the crank bolt needs to rotate a full circle to prove that it is not a hydraulic lock. So I am also a little nervous now about whether the engine will suffer fatal damage.
I'm confused about this part- did you see smoke, immediately turn off engine right then and there, after which it wouldn't start?
Or did you see smoke, immediately turn off the engine, restart it, move to a safer place, then turn it off again, after which it wouldn't start?

Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Who`s on first? Who watched the thanksgiving all time special
The March of the Wooden Soldiers

OP
OP
daniel5678

daniel5678

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlu
I'm confused about this part- did you see smoke, immediately turn off engine right then and there, after which it wouldn't start?
Or did you see smoke, immediately turn off the engine, restart it, move to a safer place, then turn it off again, after which it wouldn't start?
When I see smoke, I turn off the engine immediately. The jeep stopped on the uphill slope, and I waited for my companion to use the winch to drag me to a safe place. When the winch was ready, I trun on (because I needed to turn the steering wheel and it couldn't start at this time). I forced it into N gear. After dragging the winch to a safe place, I tried trun on again but it still didn't work. But I have heard a "click" sound from the starter, but the motor does not turn.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
When I see smoke, I turn off the engine immediately. The jeep stopped on the uphill slope, and I waited for my companion to use the winch to drag me to a safe place. When the winch was ready, I trun on (because I needed to turn the steering wheel and it couldn't start at this time). I forced it into N gear. After dragging the winch to a safe place, I tried trun on again but it still didn't work. But I have heard a "click" sound from the starter, but the motor does not turn.
When I start the car, there is no power assist in the steering wheel, the battery is extremely low, and the fan is not working causing the water temperature to rise.

Finally checked the fuses and reinserted some of the loose fuses and the Jeep was fine again, but this has happened three times and I'm going to go to the dealer to have it checked thoroughly. Have any of you ever encountered this?

图片_20231120222412.jpg
I’m having a hard time reconciling these two statements as referring to the same situation.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Way off topic….. but you were right!
“Ruh roh Reorge” came before “ruh roh Raggy”

I just looked it up to confirm and it turns out both dogs were voiced by the same actor!

QUOTE="DaltonGang, post: 2534547, member: 24275"]
Ok guys. Just jump all over my ass for confusing the two cartoon dogs that are Ruffly(haha) 54 and 60 years old. I will try to do better. :(
[/QUOTE]

Ahhhh haaaaa. Redemption.
I thought Astro had said it before. But, it looks like the Scoob made the Ruh Roh saying more famous.

Alan_Hepburn

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2022 JLU Sport S
I've seen many cams broken on V8s by the connecting rod getting smacked up into it.
Yup - I just got rid of an old Ford 390 that had a rod bolt problem: the rod ended up breaking the camshaft into 3 pieces!
Sponsored