Sponsored

(update)New engine, it broke again a month later.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
So if you own a 4xe and the hybrid battery craps out on you, the Jeep will not run? Does it need the hybrid battery to turn the motor over? I`ll admit I am still learning about them but I thought that was the purpose of a ICE?
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
OP
OP
daniel5678

daniel5678

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlu
I installed

I installed an oil catch can from UPR products website before I took my Jeep off road and since driven it across the country running Jeep Badge of Honor trails, it has worked well Are you sure you installed it correctly? Did the dealership give you any grief about the catch can with regard to the warranty?
Installed correctly, dealer did not respond directly to the issue. You have to wait for the inspection results to decide whether or not the warranty is warranted.

bthomp

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon, 2010 Wrangler X, 2014 Mustang GT
Occupation
IT Ops / BizOps
Clubs

Ok guys. Just jump all over my ass for confusing the two cartoon dogs that are Ruffly(haha) 54 and 60 years old. I will try to do better. :(
I wasn’t criticizing anything, apologies if it came across that way. I was just guessing what the reference was. I miss those old cartoons, back when tv was good.

Sponsored

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT 6MT Sport & 2023 JL 2 Door 6MT Sport
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
So if you own a 4xe and the hybrid battery craps out on you, the Jeep will not run? Does it need the hybrid battery to turn the motor over? I`ll admit I am still learning about them but I thought that was the purpose of a ICE?
Yes. Theres no conventional starter on the 4xE's. The engine is started either with the P2 motor (the one inside the transmission that basically replaces a torque convertor in location) or the P1 motor (The one that is in the location of the alternator)

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
So after reading through this I have a good idea of what's happening, but also still confused

-OP off-roads regularly, good for them.
-Out of desire/fear (Not gonna speculate) due to others recommendation, Catch Can was added
-"Blew Up" means it punched a hole in the block at 26k
-"Factory Accident" means defect. IE, A warrantiable failure of the vehicle
-Some time after the engine replacement and now, the vehicle would "not start"
-"would not start" I'm still very confused because OP provided a picture of the vehicle on but with multiple lights on, but certainly on
-The starter "clicks"
-The new engine is not seized, and could be rotated by hand.
-The vehicle is at a dealer
-OP is not allowed to discuss the vehicle at the dealer because the higher ups... "said so" (what a joke of a dealer)
-No repairs are happening at the moment, Chrysler wants to inspect vehicle because "no start" after an engine was installed under warranty

Here's my 2 cent guess at what happend here
Freak accident on engine 1, possibly oil catch can related, but between OP's knowledge and understanding (don't take offense, 99.99% of the world has no connection as to why gas is needed in a vehicle besides "I need it to drive", not everyone has the time to FULLY understand vehicles) and what seems like an incompetent Dealership as a whole, we will never know, it's water under the bridge. Now we have electrical issues, that's the simple way to state it. Engine not seized, but starter does not turn engine over. This is where the Dealer is responsible for going over their work and finding the issues THEN contacting Chrysler if it's related to the engine. Almost guarantee this is poor workmanship by the tech, then a manger that likes the blame game and cares about nothing but getting paid.

OP
OP
daniel5678

daniel5678

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlu
So after reading through this I have a good idea of what's happening, but also still confused

-Out of desire/fear (Not gonna speculate) due to others recommendation, Catch Can was added
-"would not start" I'm still very confused because OP provided a picture of the vehicle on but with multiple lights on, but certainly on
-The starter "clicks"
-OP is not allowed to discuss the vehicle at the dealer because the higher ups... "said so" (what a joke of a dealer)
-No repairs are happening at the moment, Chrysler wants to inspect vehicle because "no start" after an engine was installed under warranty

Freak accident on engine 1, possibly oil catch can related, but between OP's knowledge and understanding (don't take offense, 99.99% of the world has no connection as to why gas is needed in a vehicle besides "I need it to drive", not everyone has the time to FULLY understand vehicles) and what seems like an incompetent Dealership as a whole, we will never know, it's water under the bridge. Now we have electrical issues, that's the simple way to state it. Engine not seized, but starter does not turn engine over. This is where the Dealer is responsible for going over their work and finding the issues THEN contacting Chrysler if it's related to the engine. Almost guarantee this is poor workmanship by the tech, then a manger that likes the blame game and cares about nothing but getting paid.
Thank you and happy Thanksgiving.

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)

-The starter "clicks"

See post #151 regarding the bolded bullet point. That one confused me as well. That photo was a week before his Jeep "wouldn't start". So electrical issues before the outright failure in Moab, and then again while in Moab. Unclear if electrical problem is related to the smoking or if that was just related to the catch can. I guess we'll find out.

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
See post #151 regarding the bolded bullet point. That one confused me as well. That photo was a week before his Jeep "wouldn't start". So electrical issues before the outright failure in Moab, and then again while in Moab. Unclear if electrical problem is related to the smoking or if that was just related to the catch can. I guess we'll find out.
Well the smoking was the 1st engine correct, or just on an incline? Something tells me this is nothing but a chaffed wire or loose ground/connector from the engine install

Sponsored

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
Well the smoking was the 1st engine correct, or just on an incline? Something tells me this is nothing but a chaffed wire or loose ground/connector from the engine install
No, the first engine likely threw a rod and put a couple wholes in the block. The second one started smoking on Hells Revenge so he turned it off and then just clicking from the starter when he tried to restart. The electrical issues from the dash picture started a week before the failure in Moab.

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
No, the first engine likely threw a rod and put a couple wholes in the block. The second one started smoking on Hells Revenge so he turned it off and then just clicking from the starter when he tried to restart. The electrical issues from the dash picture started a week before the failure in Moab.
The most likely scenario here is no start due to nothing but the electrical issue and the smoking is 100% normal for the obstical.

OP
OP
daniel5678

daniel5678

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlu
The most likely scenario here is no start due to nothing but the electrical issue and the smoking is 100% normal for the obstical.
The current guess is indeed an electrical issue. When I saw the smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe, I immediately turned off the car. After I went to a safe place and tried to start it, it wouldn't start. The next day I tried the crank bolt (it can turn and works in both directions, but I didn't try to turn it once). Some people here think that the crank bolt needs to rotate a full circle to prove that it is not a hydraulic lock. So I am also a little nervous now about whether the engine will suffer fatal damage.

IanNubbit

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Dealer Tech
The current guess is indeed an electrical issue. When I saw the smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe, I immediately turned off the car. After I went to a safe place and tried to start it, it wouldn't start. The next day I tried the crank bolt (it can turn and works in both directions, but I didn't try to turn it once). Some people here think that the crank bolt needs to rotate a full circle to prove that it is not a hydraulic lock. So I am also a little nervous now about whether the engine will suffer fatal damage.
Ive done enough JL starters to confidently say they are problematic. Also theres SOOOOOO many issues with just the batteries alone. The major issue I see with this scenario though is how the dealership is handling it. Instead of diagnosing the problem first, they immediately turned and said it must be the new engine, when id say there’s no change it has anything to do with the unit and everything to do with the workmanship or a separate concern all together. Worst of all, now they are opening you up to a possible no-coverage scenario when there is no reason to involve chrysler at this time

OP
OP
daniel5678

daniel5678

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlu
Ive done enough JL starters to confidently say they are problematic. Also theres SOOOOOO many issues with just the batteries alone. The major issue I see with this scenario though is how the dealership is handling it. Instead of diagnosing the problem first, they immediately turned and said it must be the new engine, when id say there’s no change it has anything to do with the unit and everything to do with the workmanship or a separate concern all together. Worst of all, now they are opening you up to a possible no-coverage scenario when there is no reason to involve chrysler at this time
Have you ever had a starter malfunction?
Sponsored