Update: Driver seat bottom seat tilt angle

VGxHC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLU
Me too...investigated the driver seat extensively to make it more comfortable. My head was touching the roll bar...the lower seat cushion needs to beba little lower and tilt back further. I ended up having 1" of seat foam removed out of my bottom cushion. It still needs to tilt a little further towards the back to be comfortable. Also really annoying on long drives with a 6 speed and no dead pedal. I end up trying to lodge my left foot under the clutch pedal...but your foot is angled down too much and its uncomfortable.
I remember reading that you had the foam removed at an upholstery shop. I have no complaints with the comfort, but if it were any higher I’d have issues.
Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
From a neurological perspective, it's best to have the seat relatively level, and your legs evenly supported across the whole cushion, so as to avoid nerve compression. I think they should add some adjustment for rake, but not cause the opposite issue by raking the seat back leading to issues for those of us who prefer neutral seating. I actually like it how it is, but totally understand those wanting more recline, as we're all anatomically different. That's why adjustments should exist!
I don't know what it is but I get a sharp nerve pain in my right leg between my glute/hamstring almost every time I drive more than 20 minutes. I've owned a lot of cars and never felt this in any of them. I had to buy a phone-book sized seatpad for when I go on long trips. I feel like it has to be some sort of nerve compression, as soon as I'm out it's fine, soon as I'm back in sharp pain. I find myself constantly moving and adjusting my right leg and road trips wind up with me constantly shifting left and right and just generally uncomfortable the entire time until my leg eventually feels numb.

It's too embarrassing to use my seat pad day to day. This things like 5" thick and I'm already short and basically free falling out of my Jeep at every gas station. All I need in life is someone to see me sitting on a phone book to see over the steering wheel.

Been wondering if it was sciatica but I only feel it in one tiny spot.

Sierra

First Name
Sierra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
link.sierrar.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2015 BMW 328i F30
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
eCommerce Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so I had enough of feeling like I was falling into the dash especially after a 300 mile trip I took. I’m not spending 79.00 on spacers from fleabay. So I went to Home Depot and bought some 1/2” hex nuts. They work as a spacer even the way the left front bracket is made. They fit perfect and gave the bottom cushion about an inch or so tilt up. 100% better. Just remove the 2 front bolts loosen the rear bolts and the 1/2” nuts will fit underneath both front bolts. Tighten up and your good to go. Total cost was 55 cents. Probably easier than trying to put a bunch of washers. So for you big and tall guys like I am this seems to work for now.

B1E4AFB3-F259-46CF-AA65-43E85412005B.jpeg
GREAT IDEA! I'll try today. If you can share more photos we'll appreciate! :flag:

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I don't know what it is but I get a sharp nerve pain in my right leg between my glute/hamstring almost every time I drive more than 20 minutes. I've owned a lot of cars and never felt this in any of them. I had to buy a phone-book sized seatpad for when I go on long trips. I feel like it has to be some sort of nerve compression, as soon as I'm out it's fine, soon as I'm back in sharp pain. I find myself constantly moving and adjusting my right leg and road trips wind up with me constantly shifting left and right and just generally uncomfortable the entire time until my leg eventually feels numb.

It's too embarrassing to use my seat pad day to day. This things like 5" thick and I'm already short and basically free falling out of my Jeep at every gas station. All I need in life is someone to see me sitting on a phone book to see over the steering wheel.

Been wondering if it was sciatica but I only feel it in one tiny spot.
Do you keep your wallet in your back pocket?

Sponsored

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I've seen this come up a bunch but I use a super small wallet with just 3 cards in it. And I actually throw it in my dash a lot of the time. This is just something weird going on. I've started foam rolling it. Guess i'm just getting old.

Horse1200s

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I did this today, but used a 1/2" longer bolt and a 1/2" steel spacer. I have a bad back and this is going to be great, might event want a touch more angle but I'll try this for now. Going to do it on my wife's 4Runner next for the passenger seat as the driver tilts but not the passenger. I hate when manufactures put sub-par seats in the passenger side.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I did this today, but used a 1/2" longer bolt and a 1/2" steel spacer. I have a bad back and this is going to be great, might event want a touch more angle but I'll try this for now. Going to do it on my wife's 4Runner next for the passenger seat as the driver tilts but not the passenger. I hate when manufactures put sub-par seats in the passenger side.
You have any pics of what you did?

Horse1200s

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Here are a few I snapped now but they aren’t very good. It’s super simple. I just took the bolt to the hardware store, matched it as best I could and got bushings that were the same ID and OD as the bolt and it fit very well. I might even add another 1/4” and go 3/4”, but as mentioned I am very sensitive to seat position.

C714D54B-294C-4949-A20C-D9E7910C1AE6.jpeg

218BBBE9-EDFB-4BA6-B83C-208083E49FBA.jpeg

B5336BF9-00F6-4903-BDE2-68654AB5CF03.jpeg

Jasper519

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Did this today, thanks for the great photos. I was worried about that left side design, but it works perfectly!

Sponsored

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I’m 27 and I get pain in my left leg, deep near my hip, guessing it’s my hip flexor. I went away for 3 weeks and didn’t have the pain, drive for not even 3 days and it’s back.

I think it’s due to lack of a dead pedal.

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
I’m 27 and I get pain in my left leg, deep near my hip, guessing it’s my hip flexor. I went away for 3 weeks and didn’t have the pain, drive for not even 3 days and it’s back.

I had that same issue installed a dead pedal I don’t have it anymore fixed it. Seemed like I couldn’t get my left leg ever comfortable.

Memphis Peej

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot, Acura TSX, 2019 Moab!!!
I just did this. I went to the local hardware store and got 2 ½ nuts, which cost 27 cents a piece. I loosened the bolts in the back and used a cheater bar to help loosen these. Did the same in the front except I took them all the way out. Placed the nuts over the holes and screwed them back with the original bolts. Tightened everything back up and all is well.

total time about 10 minutes.
Total cost 54 cents.

thanks everyone!

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

You’re not sitting on your wallet right?