Sponsored

Update: 2018 JL Wrangler Production Begins 10/16, Now in Dealership Ordering/Allocation Systems

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Thanks! You too of course.
Yeah was relatively unhurt, only had 2 small cuts from flying glass (though small cut on head made people think much worse), and a large bruise along my shoulder, collarbone & chest from the seatbelt (even with Corbeau pad).
But Rubi Doozer was a complete write-off. Siderails helped reduce injuries a lot IMO.

Similarly I got about $750 from what I paid for mine 3.3year/75KK later.
Love the high resale value retention (especially on 2012 Rubi) and low entry fleet discount pricing.

I think you will likely get a lot of guidance to your questions/choice from FCA/Jeep’s official press launch in a few weeks which will give extensive details of all the options and special editions, and then you can decide JKU Recon or whatever JLU tickles your fancy.

I would say it’s worth renting for those few weeks to find out. I rented for almost 4 weeks (all payed for by insurance) while we searched extensively for the Rubi I wanted, and then finally hunted down the Aspen-X I had brought in to my dealer.
Sponsored

JeepDrvr2018

First Name
Montgomery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Retired Master Certified RV Tech
Believe someone on here mentioned the LA auto Show as release date. Going to assume that big press event will herald many orders and putting 90 day hold on production means they can fill those orders.
What I would like is to see is one in real life, because leaked pictures show rear bumper with various light patterns, license plate in different place. Lots of pictures of the interior on google, but not clear which ones are what is going to be produced. And like most, want to know specifications on engine, transmissions, differential ratio's, but the big one is: How much is it going to cost???
One comment above stated-mid January 2018 delivery which works for my schedule better than now, and I could wait until march to get one too. Want to make sure, I get it built my way, and no mistakes made in the ordering system to mess up things. And the big one for me is the backup camera, if it's not there, just will sell my 2013 Unlimited Sahara, and wait a year for the truck.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
..And the big one for me is the backup camera,..
As has been mentioned many times before in many threads/forums Backup Cam is standard on all JLs.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The 90 day yard hold is likely for post-production QC, similar to what happened on the Cherokee when it debuted. They had rampant issues, mostly with the transmission programming, and put a yard hold on all of them so they could fix the issue before they got into the hands of comsumers and further tarnished the company image. By doing an automatic yard hold, it gives them time to address issues with production before JLs get out into the world.

JeepDrvr2018

First Name
Montgomery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Retired Master Certified RV Tech
All - Working with dealer, he told me his JLU order banks don't open until end of November. They would know, one of the largest dealers in the country. Suspect, that is going to change, but not hoping for much until later on. Even info on here says production does not start until 10/16/17, wonder what they build? What is daily build rate?

Sponsored

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Production is set for October so order banks will open this month.

Slight change in how the order codes come up for dealers in an attempt to clear up the confusion.

"Wrangler JL 4 Door"

2018-Wrangler-JL-4-Door.jpeg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm ready to order! Like a kid waiting fo Christmas!

HardRockSteele67

First Name
Kutt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Rubicon
Occupation
Eng.
Vehicle Showcase
I've been told via local Salesman the new body style design orders on the 4DR will begin in December

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been told via local Salesman the new body style design orders on the 4DR will begin in December
Ok, you order then, everyone else will order earlier.

I wouldn’t trust anyone just calling is a ‘new body style’.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Having gone through pretty much the exact same challenge... see pic below..

I had the same issue wanting a good coloured Rubicon or HR (for visibility in bad conditions), and needing a replacement in time for ski season, I was stuck 3mth past the time for getting Baja or Sunset, and before any bright colour was coming out. So I had to decide on flat colour HR (which I don’t like flat colours for white out and dark highway use) or get non HR or wait with longer term rental until colours changed in March. I found the A-X in Baja after looking for suitable Rubis across the country.

In the case of the JL there are two things working against you, soft top delay (as already mentioned) but it’s a minor delay, and then Special Edition trim delay. Soft top is coming sooner, however a Recon-level trim doesn’t appear in the dealer system for launch, but there is likely something similar arriving with a likely Rubicon 15A edition which would be in March.

Now we might also get a capable Winter edition as well, although it would likely come in Sahara trim level, which is good to have Selec-Trac for the winter model, but not quite as capable (2.72:1 TC instead of 4:1, and softer suspension, less agressive tyres, etc) as the Rubi+ you may be seeking whatever it ends up being called if not a 15A.

If it weren’t for Selec-Trac, I’d be looking to go the Rubi+route, now I just hope the 2019 Winter Edition with Selec-Trac has a lot of features from whatever Rubi+ we get.

So your wait, might be shorter than mine would’ve been, but that does depend on what arrives in March.
However important to note for your decision making process, the Special Editions will be announced at launch so you don’t have to wait that long to get an idea of what your options are, likely all will be revealed within a month or so (possibly SEMA in 3 weeks or LA Auto Show in twice that time).

Hopefully you can get an HR/Recon style update sooner rather than later. My only concern is if they wait for the diesel and tougher 8HP75 to make a top trumps (top spec) Rubi+ , which would mean the wait is much longer, likely happening as a 2019 update.

my forced upgrade moment..

E5CF108A-E95D-4472-A711-2E3DF33FDCEF.jpeg
Damn, when did that happen? :crying:

Sponsored

iki4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 328i Sportline
So is this thing supposed to come for Pre-order today?

edit: Called Koons dealer- they said order banks open next month and production begins in december. Not sure how accurate this info is.

Last edited:

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
We are starting to see more and more people say Dealers are telling them end of this month for ordering JLUs. I will be stopping into the dealer (actually, probably several) this week to see what mine says. I wish I didn't have to wait until January to receive delivery though.
Sponsored