Sponsored

Update: 2018 JL Wrangler Production Begins 10/16, Now in Dealership Ordering/Allocation Systems

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I have been to my local Jeep dealership and the salesman are "playing dumb" about knowing anything about the confusion between the dealer system ordering nomenclature distinguishing the current generation JK's and the new gen JL's. Has anyone else ran into this?

‘Playing Dumb’?

A lot of them aren’t pretending.

Yes there is a lot of reports of nomenclature issues in the other thread on the subject.

http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...ku-orders-for-next-gen-2018-jl-wrangler.1333/
Sponsored

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
Any idea on when we can configure the JL online? It's going to be hard choosing options and specs without seeing or knowing what they all are...
As going on in another thread here, typically Jeep.com's configurator ("Build and Price") doesn't appear until there are vehicles on dealer's lots to sell. Remember, at the end of the configuration, Jeep allows you to search for a match (or near match) so there has be at least some possibility of a "hit" when searching.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper

Cotymarie

First Name
Coty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Cruze
So I just talked me my cousin who works for a jeep dealer and she said they are already ordering 18s. She said only base colors and in a couple weeks all the colors should be available. She also said they are not bringing all the options being said on here to the 18s they are holding them for the 19s so no back up camera, keyless entry or any of that.

VegasGT

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
So I just talked me my cousin who works for a jeep dealer and she said they are already ordering 18s. She said only base colors and in a couple weeks all the colors should be available. She also said they are not bringing all the options being said on here to the 18s they are holding them for the 19s so no back up camera, keyless entry or any of that.
I assume they mean they are ordering the 2018 JK's and not the JL's. I thought by federal law all cars and trucks in the US are required to have back up cameras for 2018 models. I could be wrong and I'm hoping she's wrong :) I can barely wait now!

Sponsored

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver 2018 JLUS!, 2016 Tahoe
I assume they mean they are ordering the 2018 JK's and not the JL's. I thought by federal law all cars and trucks in the US are required to have back up cameras for 2018 models. I could be wrong and I'm hoping she's wrong :) I can barely wait now!
I am sure you are correct....it has already been confirmed that all those items are on the new JLs.

Cotymarie

First Name
Coty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Cruze
I can not wait either. She said they were supposed to add them in the second part of the 18s when they release the rest of the colors but I guess they told them now they are not until the 19s. And she did not say what model.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
She said they were supposed to add them in the second part of the 18s when they release the rest of the colors but I guess they told them now they are not until the 19s. And she did not say what model.
She, and you, are both confusing JK and JL.

All 2018 JLs will have backup cameras, they will be required for all vehicles made after April 2018. 2019 JL doesn’t arrive until after the law takes effect.

None of the N.Am. 2018 JKs will have stock backup camera because they are ceasing production before they are required in 2018.
Export Wranglers already have the backup camera standard on the Overland edition since 2017.

This just illustrates the dealer issue perfectly, confusing customers because of the poor sales training for the switch/refresh. Which also explains your confusion about the Dec dates and the moving forward of the production start.

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

ANOTHER UPDATE:

The 2018 JLU now comes up in dealership systems when building an order (see below)!

No other info has been loaded yet but this means the system is primed for order banks to open any day now. This also corroborates a 4-door only initial launch as noted in our 2018-19 JL production timeline.

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JLU-Ordering.jpg

Sponsored

James

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Jaguar XE, 2018 Fiat 500E
Occupation
Real Estate Broker
Any ideal on the diesel production date?
From what I read it says mid August. Any update for this?

I was going to buy a JLU right away and then trade it in when the diesel comes out. Yet after talking to a lot of the owners for aftermarket parts at the off road convention last weekend, they all said they won’t even have lifts or other parts for a few months after they receive theirs. This of course all depends on the amount of changes between the JK and JL. My thought now is to just wait the extra 8-9 months for the diesel.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I'd better pony up and decide if I want a manual or diesel. Hmmm. The excitement is making me lean toward the manual and a trip to the dealer, when the order banks open.

I think I'll keep it simple: Rubi, manual V6, soft top...ok, badass stereo/nav system, but otherwise a Jeep...no leather, heated seats, or crotch conditioning.

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
She, and you, are both confusing JK and JL.

All 2018 JLs will have backup cameras, they will be required for all vehicles made after April 2018. 2019 JL doesn’t arrive until after the law takes effect.

None of the N.Am. 2018 JKs will have stock backup camera because they are ceasing production before they are required in 2018.
Export Wranglers already have the backup camera standard on the Overland edition since 2017.

This just illustrates the dealer issue perfectly, confusing customers because of the poor sales training for the switch/refresh. Which also explains your confusion about the Dec dates and the moving forward of the production start.
Exactly. An exec himself told me that it has all of the modern 'bells & whistles'. He was apprehensive when he test drove one for a week or so back in the spring. By July his tune had changed entirely. He plans on getting two ... one for his wife and one for his daugther.

But, to corroborate Cotymarie's source, the exec's wife told me that she gets to pick a 2018 JLU from a lot in two weeks ... but that she can only choose from red, gray, and white.

There might be a small window where execs pick from the first production wave, but I can't see them holding out for 90days. I get the sense that I'll be able to order one in mid November that would arrive by mid December. But, I might be on a fast track with my exec connection.

Farmdawg

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
From the dealer screenshots for engine/transmission codes:

23 = manual transmission pentastar
24 = automatic transmission pentastar
26 = automatic transmission turbo hurricane engine?
28 = automatic transmission diesel engine?

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Will pricing be known when order banks open?

The vehicles will really sit in outdoor lot for 2-3 month prior to delivery?
Sponsored