Sponsored

Update: 2018-2019 JL Wrangler Timeline Schedule (2DR JL & 2.0L Delay, Powertop & Diesel Dates, Etc)

Tonopah

First Name
Tonopah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon 2dr 6spd; 2005 TJ (LJ) auto
I would also like to hear more about the new Pentastar motor. I'm assuming somewhat more horsepower and somewhat more torque particularly at lower revs but I have read very little about the new motor.
Sponsored

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
Aren't they both the same? Pent & 3.6?

EazyT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Multiple
I'm not convinced that the 3.6 is the base engine and the 2.0t is going to be an up charge. It's not going to make more power...I think the 3.6 is going to be the optional motor with the more basic trims and 2.0t as the base motor arriving later in the life cycle.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Right now, unless they do more to the Pentastar, the updated version is in the Ram and it puts out approximately 305 horsepower, and the same torque as the current version. (Hp is up from 285). The torque, however, is said to be 15% higher between 1,000 and 3,000 rpms. That should feel like a fairly good upgrade, especially when mated to the 8 speed auto.

I'm doubting they'll do anything more to it. I'd still love to see maybe 315hp and 300ft. lbs. of torque, but I think they'd have to direct inject it to get those numbers. We'll see.

Last edited:

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I'm cool waiting for the diesel if it means shaking out a lot of the general JL bugs in the meantime. FCA is definitely trying to make an effort to improve quality across the board, but I'm still very skeptical about how solid the first few batches of '18s will be.

Sponsored

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I'm not convinced that the 3.6 is the base engine and the 2.0t is going to be an up charge. It's not going to make more power...I think the 3.6 is going to be the optional motor with the more basic trims and 2.0t as the base motor arriving later in the life cycle.
Agree. If FCA wants to improve its CAFE numbers, the 2.0L turbo should be the base engine.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Right now, unless they do more to the Pentastar, the updated version is in the Ram and it puts out approximately 305 horsepower, and the same torque as the current version. (Hp is up from 285).
The updated version of the Pentastar is not in the RAM yet, it is expected next year also, when it launched in the 1500 it had 305/269 without all the new tweaks like VVL/EGR/new injectors;

http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/road_tests/2013_ram_1500

JJ75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
I would think they'd launch with the "base" engine first (in this case the 3.6L like the timeline states) no? Would be weird to not offer a base engine until several months after the JL launches, like what would be happening with the Hurricane 2.0T not starting production until Feb-March 2018.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Probably not "much" improved over GC. Probably equivalent to the current GC. The GC is, after all, their most expensive model.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
The RAM will maintain a big boost over the GC (likely to leapfrog the Canyon/Colorado which initially came out at 305/269 same as RAM, although is now 308/275)...
but... for the Wrangler.... I don't know. :whatsgoingon:

It's been the second to least powerful tune of the Pentastar in the past (lowest was in the Avenger & Grand Caravan) , with even the Chrysler 200 getting a more powerful tune (295/262) than the Wrangler.

However like in finance, past performance doesn't guarantee future results/actions, and with the JT likely also sharing this engine (I don't see a tinyTurbo4 being the best marketing fit for a Truck), you'd expect that both Torque and HP got bumped to at least nearer current RAM numbers, again for that Canyon/Colorado marketing/PR target which got a recent RAM-beating refresh.
Now even though the JT and JL Wrangler may split in a way the Challenger & Charger did in their Pentastar tunes, I'm hoping they don't and we get some of the spill-over fringe benefits.

Personally I would be very happy with a +10 to both HP & Tq and that 295/270 would technically put it 1lbft above the original 2016 GMs, but I'll always take more if they're willing to dish it out because we can always make use of what they give us, so if they decided something like 295/276 in both the JL & JT for PR purposes then I would call that a 'good starting point' and be happy...

... until out of warranty and Edelbrock and Ripp came a calling again. :rock:

Sponsored

EazyT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Multiple
I would think they'd launch with the "base" engine first (in this case the 3.6L like the timeline states) no? Would be weird to not offer a base engine until several months after the JL launches, like what would be happening with the Hurricane 2.0T not starting production until Feb-March 2018.
Most new vehicles do not launch with the most basic trims. Typically well equipped models are pushed out first, early adopters are willing to pay whatever to have the first models. Look at any "launch edition" product put out in the last 5 years. I also believe that the 2.0t in a wrangler tune is going to make way less power than even the current pentastar forget about he revamped engine. I just can't see mopar putting out a ~300 hp 2.0t in a wrangler. How many 300+hp 2.0t exist in in any vehicle? At any price? I believe the 2.0t will be the base engine with around 250hp and the 3.6 will be "optional", meaning it's the required motor on many trims and configurations. The 2.0t will help hit CAFE as previously mentioned meanwhile upcharging for the "corporate" 3.6 allows for insane profit margins.

sdcrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler crd
Most new vehicles do not launch with the most basic trims. Typically well equipped models are pushed out first, early adopters are willing to pay whatever to have the first models. Look at any "launch edition" product put out in the last 5 years. I also believe that the 2.0t in a wrangler tune is going to make way less power than even the current pentastar forget about he revamped engine. I just can't see mopar putting out a ~300 hp 2.0t in a wrangler. How many 300+hp 2.0t exist in in any vehicle? At any price? I believe the 2.0t will be the base engine with around 250hp and the 3.6 will be "optional", meaning it's the required motor on many trims and configurations. The 2.0t will help hit CAFE as previously mentioned meanwhile upcharging for the "corporate" 3.6 allows for insane profit margins.
There are actually quite a few 2.0t providing such hp figures. Mercedes, Audi, even VW have such tiny turbo 4's. All Volvo t6 and t8 engines in their new xc90's and xc60's are 2.0t with 300-400hp. I think over here in Europe we are much more used to the concept of tiny turbocharged engines because they have been around for so long and proven themselves whereas you guys in NA still like your larger displacement and I'm not sure if most of these power trains are even offered in NA versions. I mean, even Merc AMG's which are all about performance are now coming out with 2.0t and over 400hp. Granted, it doesn't mean that this will be the case with the wrangler hurricane but such figures are certainly not out of reach and they could easily do it. Don't forget that this similar engine already provides 280 hp and 295 ft lb in the stelvio/giulia. But yes it does seem logical that there should be a substantial difference in power between the 2.0t and the pentastar if one is to be base and the other optional, eager to see what they decide upon.

EazyT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Multiple
There are actually quite a few 2.0t providing such hp figures. Mercedes, Audi, even VW have such tiny turbo 4's. All Volvo t6 and t8 engines in their new xc90's and xc60's are 2.0t with 300-400hp. I think over here in Europe we are much more used to the concept of tiny turbocharged engines because they have been around for so long and proven themselves whereas you guys in NA still like your larger displacement and I'm not sure if most of these power trains are even offered in NA versions. I mean, even Merc AMG's which are all about performance are now coming out with 2.0t and over 400hp. Granted, it doesn't mean that this will be the case with the wrangler hurricane but such figures are certainly not out of reach and they could easily do it. Don't forget that this similar engine already provides 280 hp and 295 ft lb in the stelvio/giulia. But yes it does seem logical that there should be a substantial difference in power between the 2.0t and the pentastar if one is to be base and the other optional, eager to see what they decide upon.
Smaller turbo engines are not as popular in the United States, they are becoming more common. Not denying that at all. All the engines you mentioned are in top trim levels or sports cars though anywhere in the known universe. Hell in Volvo's case the t6 is supercharged AND turbocharged. The only VAG or Mercedes 2.0t engines exceeding pentastar power figures are R or AMG models. The notion that the Alfa makes 280hp meaning the wrangler can too is a bit short-sighted. The Alfa isn't pushing 32-35 inch tires through a transfer case and solid axles. Let's say FCA hits the crack pipe and pushes out the 2.0t with the same tune as it has in the Alfa....it would be rated at 250hp with a wranglers drivetrain.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Smaller turbo engines are not as popular in the United States, they are becoming more common. Not denying that at all. All the engines you mentioned are in top trim levels or sports cars though anywhere in the known universe. Hell in Volvo's case the t6 is supercharged AND turbocharged. The only VAG or Mercedes 2.0t engines exceeding pentastar power figures are R or AMG models. The notion that the Alfa makes 280hp meaning the wrangler can too is a bit short-sighted. The Alfa isn't pushing 32-35 inch tires through a transfer case and solid axles. Let's say FCA hits the crack pipe and pushes out the 2.0t with the same tune as it has in the Alfa....it would be rated at 250hp with a wranglers drivetrain.
What do tires have to do with an engines HP numbers? When marketing an engines HP/Torque numbers, 99% of the time manufactures are giving numbers measured at the fly wheel.
Sponsored