Sponsored

Update: 2018-2019 JL Wrangler Timeline Schedule (2DR JL & 2.0L Delay, Powertop & Diesel Dates, Etc)

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
I'm taking the wait and see approach to the JL. I was an early JK buyer, basically bought the first one that hit the dealer floor. Not going to do that again. I'm going to let the bugs work themselves out for a couple years first.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so will the 3.6 have ESS with the manual transmission? If so, how exactly would this work. I'm not sure I like the idea of it.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Ok, so will the 3.6 have ESS with the manual transmission? If so, how exactly would this work. I'm not sure I like the idea of it.
Yes, it works based on clutch activity instead of the brake. There are a couple of different implementations, and even a bunch of intelligent algorythms to try and guess what the manual transmission driver is trying to do to reduce the imoact and increase efficiency.

To me you could improve on the slugishness a bit better with a manual, but I would be concerned about how the unusual transient aspects would affect my usual manual transmission feedback process for knowing the balance for acceleration, clutch, efficient rev matching, etc.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, that's a lot of engineering effort for a very small fuel efficiency gain. I'll approach it with an open mind, though. If I don't like it, I'll switch it off.

I'm really curious about the drivability. I hope you are right and it works well.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Wow, that's a lot of engineering effort for a very small fuel efficiency gain. I'll approach it with an open mind, though. If I don't like it, I'll switch it off.

I'm really curious about the drivability. I hope you are right and it works well.
The new Jeep Compass only has ESS with the auto tranny. I was hoping the Wrangler would be the same.

Sponsored

Ernie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
The chart says "higher level trim package" Is this a new model above the Sahara/Rubicon or just a new package with higher end features?

kidney

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Italian
Yes, didn't mean to leave that off the chart. It should have been under April 16, 2018. That's the current Job 1 date for LHD Export gas and diesel JL/JLUs, including the 2.2 diesel.
Isn't a Job 1 for export JKU set for 8.1.2018. (European date format)? Could it be a typo with 2.0 ESS? Could it be 2.2 ESS?

kidney

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Italian
I do not see anything that indicates the 3.0 diesel will be exported. All instances specifically reference North America. The info we have is up until very early 2019 so it's possible there are plans beyond that.
Maybe they are waiting for RDE version of 3.0 diesel to offer it here in Europe. Who knows.

kidney

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Italian
Makes a lot of sense when you think about the fact that the 2.2L MultiJet is already certified in Europe and already sold in the export Cherokee, plus it's a better fit engine for the efficiency and emissions con pcious Euros who suddently figured out the ills of diesel, late to the game.

Yet it's still a capable enough engine as it has 200HP which is more than the CRD, and it's 440NM/325lbft is just a few off the CRD Auto, and 30NM/20lbft more than the 6MT which had a detuned CRD.
2.2 diesel does not have SCR and certainly it does not SCR system which is good enough for RDE. Euro 6d is coming on 9/2018 and 9/2019. So... It is a different compared to Cherokee engine or it will be a short living engine.

A_Wade

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Does anybody know when exact dates for the 18 jk to start production? I've been hearing early October. Also will their be any changes from the 17-18 jk?

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Does anybody know when exact dates for the 18 jk to start production? I've been hearing early October. Also will their be any changes from the 17-18 jk?
To me, I would think it odd to be building JKs with 3.6L Non-ESS engines along side JLs with 3.6L ESS engines. But, I suppose they may do exactly that. So no, there won't be significant changes to JK. Packaging changes only.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
For the JK, I am still hearing October 2, 2017, and no major changes (not even for the air bags nor the rear camera). However, Sergio rarely checks with me anymore. :movember:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
For the JK, I am still hearing October 2, 2017, and no major changes (not even for the air bags nor the rear camera). However, Sergio rarely checks with me anymore. :movember:
Have you checked Twitter? (see below) :cwl::cwl::cwl:

Aaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 C7 Corvette Stingray
Today, we're sharing a major update on the 2018-19 JL/JLU Wrangler timeline along with some interesting notes. The dates listed are straight from FCA but I'm going to emphasize that a few of the items below required interpretation (and assumptions) based on the info and materials presented. By and large however, what you see here is what is currently planned by corporate.

Please note that as of last week FCA is determining the feasibility of pulling forward the 11/13/17 launch date ahead by two weeks to 10/30/17. If this happens the other dates will be impacted as well.

As always, events further out in time are more likely to change. I would guess the 3.0L diesel date will be pushed ahead in time from what is shown in this chart, but that remains to be seen.

* The following chart is not official and has been created by JLWF to illustrate our info.

JL-Wrangler-Timeline-by-JLWranglerForums-small.jpg
In earlier posts you indicated there would be a power soft top AND hard top, but the latter would not be available until next summer. Will the power soft top still likely be available early on with the other soft tops (i.e., does the power top listed for May in your chart refer ONLY to the power hard top)?

Fizzydg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
The chart says "higher level trim package" Is this a new model above the Sahara/Rubicon or just a new package with higher end features?
On the homepage it says it might be something like the luxury group from that export Overland model. Maybe the power tops are only for overseas markets?
Sponsored