Sponsored

Update: 2018-2019 JL Wrangler Timeline Schedule (2DR JL & 2.0L Delay, Powertop & Diesel Dates, Etc)

EazyT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Multiple
What do tires have to do with an engines HP numbers? When marketing an engines HP/Torque numbers, 99% of the time manufactures are giving numbers measured at the fly wheel.
You are correct. I'm not quite sure what I was thinking lol. I still don't see FCA putting the hottest version ever of their 2.0t as an optional motor and it making any more power than the current/revamped 3.6.
Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
You are correct. I'm not quite sure what I was thinking lol. I still don't see FCA putting the hottest version ever of their 2.0t as an optional motor and it making any more power than the current/revamped 3.6.
I'm not sure what I think about the engines really, lol. I like speculating, but until we get official numbers, I think anything is possible!

Dart Maul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Xterra, 2014 Dart
I don't see why not. This is the first turbo gasoline engine ever going in a Wrangler so it may take some convincing of the Wrangler crowd who are used to their naturally aspirated 3.6L. What better way to do that than to offer a turbo engine that turns out even better performance than the 3.6L. So what if it's FCA's hottest 2.0t engine. Not like they're giving it away. If it's an optional 'upgrade' engine they'll be charging more for it.

foofykid

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Tj
Vehicle Showcase
Long time luker first time poster, so i am confused what will be the first day someone will be able to drive off an new JL Nov??

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
The assy line fires up on 11/13 I think. It'll easily be a month before they hit the lots.

Sponsored

Aaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 C7 Corvette Stingray
This suggests the 2.0t should beat the current pentastar in hp and torque: https://www.allpar.com/mopar/fours/hurricane.html. . Not sure if it'll be better than the upgraded pentastar

Last edited:

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
A 2.0 liter engine that puts out more horsepower and torque than the current 3.6 liter and lasts as many years without it burning out sounds too good to be true.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
This suggests the 2.0t should beat the current pentastar in hp and torque: https://www.allpar.com/mopar/fours/hurricane.html. . Not sure if it'll be better than the upgraded pentastar
Re-read it, it's got some errors and overlap that say it may be less than and/or better than the Pentastar and has been updated a few times since the first spy photos of the Hurricane in a Wrangler broke cover a year ago.
Some of the earlier info like closed vs open deck in the Alfa seem to be incorrect, along with the intial info of it being the base engine (which it sorta shares with the Pentastar on the automatic platform, though there not being a manual 4T means it won't be the true cheapest base option).
So the engine could wind up being anywhere on the spectrum, and the addition of the BSG torque and KW/HP may be used in the figures people are quoting, meaning that that upper end is only for a very brief burst (under 2miles / 3 KMs) and not a true constant Tq/HP rating.

If other sources are correct we will likely see a two stage launch over about 3 years, with likely a mild version first, and then a potential Pentastar replacing variant after they've had a chance to see the performance, adoption and acceptance of the milder Hurricane in a Wrangler vs the updated Pentastar. And of course as tmakaro alludes to, reliability/durability both overall and in the demanding slow moving hot trail scenario of a highly tuned tinyturbo4 will also play a part in that too.

Those other sources comments are in line (no pun intended) with this statement from that Allpar article;
"Sources have told Allpar that the goal is for one Hurricane to reach 250 horsepower or so, and for another to meet or beat 300."

kidney

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Italian
Those other sources comments are in line (no pun intended) with this statement from that Allpar article;
"Sources have told Allpar that the goal is for one Hurricane to reach 250 horsepower or so, and for another to meet or beat 300."
AFAIK GME T4 D inside Wrangler will have 285 HP.

Maybe @The Mad Duck will know more.

The Mad Duck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dodge Nitro R/T 4X4 (My Fake Jeep), 2010 Dodge Journey R/T, 1962 Imperial
When I See the HP/Torque #.s Posted by FCA, I Will Believe them Them.

Not Before the Number on Fed Repot is a Little Bit Big.

Sponsored

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
The assy line fires up on 11/13 I think. It'll easily be a month before they hit the lots.
I first read this as October 13th. Was pumped. Oh well, around a month or so ain't bad to start seeing these live.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
However, they put a "yard" hold on all of them for 90 days, so nothing will hit the dealer lots until February...

JJ75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
I first read this as October 13th. Was pumped. Oh well, around a month or so ain't bad to start seeing these live.
However, they put a "yard" hold on all of them for 90 days, so nothing will hit the dealer lots until February...
It was recently posted that JL production has been moved up and begins October 16. See - http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...-dealership-ordering-allocation-systems.1409/

And they'll hit dealerships in January (after the 90 day yard hold).

JaybearWL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0t
My inner lawyer can’t imagine the purpose of the yard hold. So much potential liability. Pass the risk to the dealer ASAP!

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
My inner lawyer can’t imagine the purpose of the yard hold. So much potential liability. Pass the risk to the dealer ASAP!
What does your inner lawyer think about catching any bugs or dangerous defects before they hit the public?

From a legal perspective this makes a lot of sense, Insurance will cover anything that happens on the lot, so passing that on to dealers doesn’t matter.
Sponsored