Sponsored

Upcoming JLU Rubicon purchase - Electronic Infotainment Package vs. standard radio/7.0 screen?

kylebw7

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery, 392 Daytona, JK
I have the 8.4 in my 392 charger. It works and is easy to use.

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Did u decide?

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
While I normally wouldnt have opted for the 8.4 Alpine, now that we have it I'm glad we did, its really nice!

wrangler-rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I missed page 2 BUT....

I went 8.4 and will point out:

With CarPlay being “fixed” by Apple now Waze will show map view on 8.4 and directions on phone.... something I like a lot, OP mentioned use of Waze over Nav...

With a TazerJL (which I have) I also installed a front facing camera like the gladiator, can’t do this on a 7” AFAIK.

Now that I have ORP I love that info, but top two bullets are what u like most.

Happy New Year all!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Soon2beJeepingPA

Soon2beJeepingPA

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019 - Granite Crystal Grey
Did u decide?

I did. Thanks for asking. I went for it!

It was really great to get so many thoughts and inputs from the community here. Really can't wait to have the Dealer tell me my Jeep is in.

Happy New Year all!

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I did. Thanks for asking. I went for it!

It was really great to get so many thoughts and inputs from the community here. Really can't wait to have the Dealer tell me my Jeep is in.

Happy New Year all!
Awesome!! Wish I would have done the same.

ToxicBanana

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
That is not correct.

Google Maps lets you download maps in advance and they work with the GPS chip in most phones. Smart phones use cell tower triangulation for more accurate location services but they don’t 100% rely on them. I have maps for most of the state of Colorado on my iPhone because cell coverage is very spotty when driving many roads in the mountains. Google Maps has worked perfectly.

Gaia GPS also works without GPS. You can download most trails onto your phone and upload them into Gaia.
We have been to areas and even a small town where the 8.4nav worked but not Gaia or Google maps predownloaded on two different phones (android/apple) with different carriers.
The Phone/tablet GPS works most of the time but in my experience, it's not as reliable as the in-car navigation. When we go off-roading we use a phone for Gaia and the 8.4" Nav with breadcrumbs as a backup

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I'm a audio nerd so it was very much worth it and one of my must have options. Sure I could put a better system in after market but it would cost a lot more. Everything you get on top of the audio upgrade made it easily worth it. It's the best sounding jeep I've owned. Bass is strong as always but the highs and mids are much improved.

Depreciation mentioned on tech might be faster but who honestly buys a new car and options it based on depreciation? I bought what was important to me not the next guy that might own it.
This guy does. I am a “depreciation nerd”. I am in the fleet business and basically study vehicle costs for a living. I know, sounds riveting right? By paying attention to depreciation (is: buying the right car and equipping it the right way) I have been able to make since of not driving a vehicle out of warranty for the last 5 years. Wranglers are the 3rd slowest depreciating vehicle in Colorado, after the Tacoma and Subaru Outback... which is what we sold to order the Jeep.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
The choice is yours, I will say this I have a Rubicon and the 8.4 screen and LED LIGHTS (if you don't get the 8.4 or the LED lights my opinion you will be upset later. But it's your choice and your money.
Go Navy

Sponsored

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
This guy does. I am a “depreciation nerd”. I am in the fleet business and basically study vehicle costs for a living. I know, sounds riveting right? By paying attention to depreciation (is: buying the right car and equipping it the right way) I have been able to make since of not driving a vehicle out of warranty for the last 5 years. Wranglers are the 3rd slowest depreciating vehicle in Colorado, after the Tacoma and Subaru Outback... which is what we sold to order the Jeep.
Fair enough, I've never paid attention to options but I do mainly to vehicles depreciation. Whatever floats your boat I just get what I want for options. My last jeep I drove for 3 years and sold it for 50$ less than I paid for it. I dont normally do that good on all of em tho lol, I wish

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Fair enough, I've never paid attention to options but I do mainly to vehicles depreciation. Whatever floats your boat I just get what I want for options. My last jeep I drove for 3 years and sold it for 50$ less than I paid for it. I dont normally do that good on all of em tho lol, I wish
Nice. That is fantastic. That my friend is low depreciation and another reason to love these things.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
The radio and the screen size IS one of those options that you will probably use EVERY time you drive the Jeep. There are many options that people order that are rarely used. Weigh your options.......and you decide if it’s worth it. For me....I am THRILLED with the 8.4 Alpine stereo and EVERYDAY I enjoy it.....that’s one option I am glad I purchased. On another note I regret ordering the “steel bumper” group....definitely not worth it. But the radio & big screen....he’ll ya it was worth every penny.
Best of luck to you....what ever decision you make.

photowiz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
newspaper and outdoor photographer
Vehicle Showcase
Get it and don't regret it later. I have the infotainment and Alpine with navigation and love it. Use it everyday.

Nash

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jk rubicon
Off road page and future upgrades to come with the 8.4 inch :)
Sponsored