Sponsored

Upcoming JLU Rubicon purchase - Electronic Infotainment Package vs. standard radio/7.0 screen?

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
Generally with screens bigger is better. Although it might not be obvious thinking about the numbers, your experience is a bit better overall. Look at how cell phones are now. When I bought my Samsung Note 4, 3-4 years ago, it was considered huge. Now everything is hitting that size. I can't go back, I'm rocking a Note 9 now.:like:

And although might be because I'm used to my 8.4 inch of the Jeep now, when I see the dash with a smaller one, it looks out of place to me. Seems they designed it for the 8.4 and then gave the option for a smaller one afterwards to drop the price a little.
Sponsored

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
Only, that’s not how screens are measured. If you measured the area of each one, the 8.4 is nearly twice the size because it is much more square whereas the 7.0 is a wide rectangle. The measurements are diagonal.
I understand, but much much raises my expectations way too high. I like to keep expectations low so I can be pleasantly surprised.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Something to add about the having the NAV... when out of cell reception, Waze and other phone mapping apps won’t work. So, when I’m up in the mountains on a trail, I can see where I am, leave breadcrumbs on the map, and such.

I know it’s not something that can’t be worked around, but I have found it useful more than a few times. Since I was getting the alpine audio upgrade either way, the extra couple hundred bucks for a bigger screen, nav, and the off road pages was a no-brainer.
That is not correct.

Google Maps lets you download maps in advance and they work with the GPS chip in most phones. Smart phones use cell tower triangulation for more accurate location services but they don’t 100% rely on them. I have maps for most of the state of Colorado on my iPhone because cell coverage is very spotty when driving many roads in the mountains. Google Maps has worked perfectly.

Gaia GPS also works without GPS. You can download most trails onto your phone and upload them into Gaia.

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
You won’t get any of the Uconnect features with the 7.0. Something that was not 100% clear to me during purchase. The 7.0 - called “Uconnect” is a stand-alone unit - meaning no online features XM Guardian, remote start, nothing. May not be important, but it is a difference. The 8.4 has an LTE antenna, wifi hot spot, XM Guardian, and is also called “Uconnect”. As is the IOS/Android app. You also don’t get the autodim mirror with the 7.0.

You can easily upgrade to the 8.4 later and sell the 7.0, but the XM Guardian “Uconnect” stuff will never be “allowed” to work. Even if you install the LTE antenna. Ask me how I know...

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
It's definitely worth it in today's world and as others have said the resale will be a bonus

I love everything about the 8.4 Nav and the Alpine has a phenomenal sound with top on or off

my $.02
The resale argument sounds like a dealership quote. If you break down how a vehicle depreciates into options, the electronic options have a much higher depreciation rate than do other options. Yes, it will sell for more money with the higher package, but you will lose a higher percentage of your investment, so therefore electronics are not a good investment. Don’t let them fool you into that upsell.

Sponsored

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
The resale argument sounds like a dealership quote. If you break down how a vehicle depreciates into options, the electronic options have a much higher depreciation rate than do other options. Yes, it will sell for more money with the higher package, but you will lose a higher percentage of your investment, so therefore electronics are not a good investment. Don’t let them fool you into that upsell.
I looked at the 2 JL's they had on the lot but didn't want either one because they didn't have the 8.4 .

Majority want techs regardless of price in todays world ...Look at the lines outside Best Buy for 1000.00 phones that most 300.00 phone will do the same thing .

I agree with your statement and the logic to it but we live in a techy world

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,

Hoping to order a JLU Rubicon build in the next few days.

Am clear on all the options I want, except for a decision on the Electronic Infotainment Package.

Is it worth it? How so?

I don't believe I really care for and need GPS (I swear by Waze), the larger screen certainly is nicer, but 7.0 is good in my book, don't care for all the SiriusXM services and have never in 20 something years of car ownership worried too much about investing in incremental car sound systems.

What did catch my attention was the active noise-cancelling feature and laminated windshield in addition to the auto-dimming rearview mirror. I know strange bird...

Anyhow, what am I missing? I welcome the education and opinions and inputs from members who made their choice, one way or another.

Thanks!
I’m 7” and my SIL is 8.4” ... 8.4” is huge upgrade:
1. Sounds much better because sub and bigger amps is part of package
2. Interfacing w 8.4” is easier because “buttons” on touch screen are bigger ... they are too small on 7”
3. Includes HD radio which isn’t there on 7”

This is a main option that makes me wish I’d done shara vs sport s.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
It isn't necessarily about the $ you recoup for the option directly, but the ability to move.the vehicle. Everyone wants tech now. A Jeep without it will be harder to move, which lowers the value. Indirectly, the 8.4" is going to increase the resale significantly.

FWB FL

First Name
LArry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited
It's definitely worth it in today's world and as others have said the resale will be a bonus

I love everything about the 8.4 Nav and the Alpine has a phenomenal sound with top on or off

my $.02
NADA resale on the larger screen is not much and in several years of owner ship will be very little if any money.

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
NADA resale on the larger screen is not much and in several years of owner ship will be very little if any money.
I didn't want the 8.4 for resale ...

compare the difference between the 7" and the 8.4"

regardless of whether it increases value or not , It's what most want so when looking for a used JL a few years from now I think the 8.4 along with the Alpine will move quicker

Sponsored

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
In Feb of this year my 18 Ram 5500 came in. I ordered it with a 8.4 because my 16 Ram had one. I already knew how to work it. My wife 18 Durango has the 8.4 also. So I definitely got the 8.4 in the 19 JLR. I like to keep things the same, makes it easier. FWIW I also love the Nav on it.

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
It isn't necessarily about the $ you recoup for the option directly, but the ability to move.the vehicle. Everyone wants tech now. A Jeep without it will be harder to move, which lowers the value. Indirectly, the 8.4" is going to increase the resale significantly.
Think about what that tech is going to be worth in 3-4-5 years. What is your 5 year old iPhone worth? Think about how obsolete it is going to be. I can tell you I study vehicle depreciation for a living and tech depreciates the fastest of all options. It is not an argument to spend thousands of dollars. That is what dealerships want you to believe and how they upsell.

djnemo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
One thing that may take the decision out of your hand...are you going to get the advanced safety group (ACC/Forward Collision Warning+)? Even though it didn't appear when I used the builder on Jeep's website, I had two different dealerships show me the conflict generated in their ordering system with the 7.0 screen and the advanced safety group. In other words, if you want the advanced safety group you have to get the 8.4 screen.

In all honesty, I probably would have gone with the 7.0 if there was no conflict, but I was squarely on the fence about which system I wanted (mainly for the noise cancelling too), so it was easy for me to bump up to the 8.4 infotainment package.
Can anyone confirm that you need the 8.4 in order to get the advanced safety package?

bumpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Grand Cherokee 2019 JL Rubicon 2018 370z
I'm a audio nerd so it was very much worth it and one of my must have options. Sure I could put a better system in after market but it would cost a lot more. Everything you get on top of the audio upgrade made it easily worth it. It's the best sounding jeep I've owned. Bass is strong as always but the highs and mids are much improved.

Depreciation mentioned on tech might be faster but who honestly buys a new car and options it based on depreciation? I bought what was important to me not the next guy that might own it.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Im not an audiophile by any means but having a decent sound system like Alpine or Bose is well worth it to me. I hate turning up a good song and the speakers are struggling to keep up.
Sponsored