First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-7, 1985 CJ-7, 1993 JGCLL, 2012 JGCLL 5.7
Occupation
Retired
BREAKING. I have obtained this exclusive first look at the real 2025 4Runner. This is the picture Toyota didn’t want you to see. Let me know what you think in the comments!

1679504624597.png
More importantly, Toyota is upgrading to new technology: drum brakes!
Sponsored

ForgottenTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Sarge Green JLU Willys
Yup. Still looks outdated. Toyota needs to invest in a new design team.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Preach. I imagine it would have to be updated to meet US crash standards, but I also know Toyota could find a way if it wanted to. However, I think many people would be shocked by the price of a 79 series if it did come here. Are we willing to pay $50k for one?
Shit, I'd pay 60k for an actual 79 series. I'm talking diesel, manual everything, rough and tumble interior, made to get banged up, can survive the apocalypse!

You know if they did ever bring it here, it would be a $90K luxury vehicle.
Jeep Wrangler JL Upcoming Competition: 2025 Toyota 4Runner Hybrid Expected (and EV Possible) murder-spongebob

JayCeeX2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2014 4Runner Limited
In order to keep up with the latest body-on-frame SUVs, like the new Ford Bronco, we believe the next-generation Toyota 4Runner will come with a turbo-four base engine and a powerful V-6 hybrid

I was disappointed when the 4Runner was no longer available with a v8. The v6 is ok. It looks like v6 may only be hybrid? or 4 cylinder turbo? I hope not. I've been awaiting new model 4Runner for a long time and that would greatly decrease my interest.

nypharm

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO
This a terrible photoshop of the current gen. Looks similar to my 21 trd pro 4r.

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
I was disappointed when the 4Runner was no longer available with a v8. The v6 is ok. It looks like v6 may only be hybrid? or 4 cylinder turbo? I hope not. I've been awaiting new model 4Runner for a long time and that would greatly decrease my interest.
If they put in that disaster-of-a-V6 that they're currently dealing with in the Tundra then you can cross the "dependable" bullet point off the "boring but dependable" attributes list for the 4Runner. Toyota is going to have a real problem if this is how their powertrains are going to be in the hybrid/EV era. They live and die by their reputation because they simply can't seem to build an exciting vehicle.

The new Tundra was high on my list for a Tahoe replacement until I got to talk to actual owners and learned about the engine nightmare.

Osso

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
If they put in that disaster-of-a-V6 that they're currently dealing with in the Tundra then you can cross the "dependable" bullet point off the "boring but dependable" attributes list for the 4Runner. Toyota is going to have a real problem if this is how their powertrains are going to be in the hybrid/EV era. They live and die by their reputation because they simply can't seem to build an exciting vehicle.

The new Tundra was high on my list for a Tahoe replacement until I got to talk to actual owners and learned about the engine nightmare.
Simply stated, the Toyota 4Runner and Sequoia are outdated, low-powered vehicles that have a core base of followers. With that said Toyota has not spent any $$$ on R&D and this is why they are expensive 90's vehicles being re-branded as newly 2024s.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Simply stated, the Toyota 4Runner and Sequoia are outdated, low-powered vehicles that have a core base of followers. With that said Toyota has not spent any $$$ on R&D and this is why they are expensive 90's vehicles being re-branded as newly 2024s.
There is a new Sequoia...I actually saw one in the wild last week. It's pretty promising but it shares the Tundra's nightmare powertrain. The Sequoia's story is a bit unique because it was brought back from the dead - it had actually been cancelled back in, I believe, 2014...but they had made the decision at almost the exact moment that gas prices in the US crashed hard. Full-size SUV sales took off and Toyota didn't want to be without an offering in what looked likely to become one of the most important segments in the automotive world. So they extended its life on a yearly basis until they realized that SUV demand wasn't a bubble. By the time the decision was made to create another generation, the existing one was already way past its expiration date. So that's why the last gen was around for so ridiculously long.

Ironically that new Sequoia is the closest thing that exists to what I was looking for to replace my Tahoe. A full-size SUV that's an actual TRUCK and not just a large, high-roof station wagon like the Fords and Chevys. Problem is that it will be a long time before Toyota will allow buyers to get the configurations they want...in fact, it will be some time before buyers can get one at all. And then there's that single powertrain option that I won't be going near until they get ironed out.

Osso

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
There is a new Sequoia...I actually saw one in the wild last week. It's pretty promising but it shares the Tundra's nightmare powertrain. The Sequoia's story is a bit unique because it was brought back from the dead - it had actually been cancelled back in, I believe, 2014...but they had made the decision at almost the exact moment that gas prices in the US crashed hard. Full-size SUV sales took off and Toyota didn't want to be without an offering in what looked likely to become one of the most important segments in the automotive world. So they extended its life on a yearly basis until they realized that SUV demand wasn't a bubble. By the time the decision was made to create another generation, the existing one was already way past its expiration date. So that's why the last gen was around for so ridiculously long.

Ironically that new Sequoia is the closest thing that exists to what I was looking for to replace my Tahoe. A full-size SUV that's an actual TRUCK and not just a large, high-roof station wagon like the Fords and Chevys. Problem is that it will be a long time before Toyota will allow buyers to get the configurations they want...in fact, it will be some time before buyers can get one at all. And then there's that single powertrain option that I won't be going near until they get ironed out.
Again, outdated & underpowered!

Sponsored

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
Looking at this, I’m glad we got in on a 5th gen before the change. Not a big fan of these renderings, and I don’t want to deal with a forced aspiration engine or wonky hybrid setup yet.

I’ll say this though, even with IFS, my wife’s new Runner rides rougher than my JL. Even she admits it. The Yota tracks straighter and is less fatiguing to drive on the highway, but the small bump compliance and drivetrain smoothness is better in the Jeep.

Osso

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
440hp is more than sufficient power. I'd be interested to know what else you think is outdated about the new Sequoia.
HP is only good if geared correctly both at the transmission and axels. That said, I don't believe the truck was geared correctly as Toyota engineers were more concerned with fuel consumption/efficiency than the perspective of the day-to-day American driver. It's like putting your car in eco mode full-time.

Also, with fuel consumption came the need to downgrade from the V8 to a twin-turbo six, a change that I am not a fan of for such a heavy vehicle:

"The 2024 Toyota Sequoia is expected to be available with the current SUV's twin-turbo 3.5-liter V6 engine that's paired with an electric motor. The combined output is rated at 437 horsepower and 583 pound-feet of torque. A 10-speed automatic transmission and rear-wheel drive are standard. Four-wheel drive is available."

Ford made the same mistake with the Raptor when they changed from the 6.2 to the twin-turbo which in my opinion sounds horrible. Ford learned the hard way to put the V8 back into the RaptorR which is now selling for $30+ over MSRP if you can get one!

And I'll spare you my opinion on the outdated interior!

PS I would be remiss if I didn't tell you that my wife owns a 2023 Toyota Highlander V6 that we really like. The car appears to have received much of the R&D that the other SUVs did not.

john adams

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD, Bolt
Yup. Still looks outdated. Toyota needs to invest in a new design team.
That photo is not the vehicle. It's some Motortrend design image.

I'm looking forward to seeing these. They will be on my list to consider in model year 3 based on years 1 and 2.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
I’ll say this though, even with IFS, my wife’s new Runner rides rougher than my JL. Even she admits it. The Yota tracks straighter and is less fatiguing to drive on the highway, but the small bump compliance and drivetrain smoothness is better in the Jeep.
Same with my new Silverado. It has the upgraded Rancho Mono-tubes, UCAs and the 2" factory lift. It is MUCH easier to drive than the JL, but I wouldn't say it rides any better.

HP is only good if geared correctly both at the transmission and axels. That said, I don't believe the truck was geared correctly as Toyota engineers were more concerned with fuel consumption/efficiency than the perspective of the day-to-day American driver. It's like putting your car in eco mode full-time.
Yes...as always we need to stop evaluating every single "off-road" vehicle on earth through the lens of rock crawling. For almost every vehicle besides the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, "off-road" means packed dirt roads and the occasional rainstorm-created drainage rut. None of these vehicles are Wrangler competitors and really, who would want them to be? We don't need more rock crawlers.

FiveBoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
What they really need to do is use 2025 tech and 90s design. The kids love the 90s!
Sponsored