Sponsored

Unwrapped 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU from production plant!

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
download.jpg
hb_before_fl_close.jpg
J100718.jpg

This generation is going to look so good with every model having such an aggressive hood. I always thought JK hood was characterless and could have used some more styling.
Even a few creases in the standard JK hood would have been a big improvement (IMHO).
View attachment 1898
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Lee H Greidanus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former jk owner
Occupation
Mail carrier
Is it just me or are the seats thinner... Possibly to provide more rear leg room. Jeep Momma can you weigh in on this?

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
This is still gonna be the closest you get and the unwrapped JLU from the factory shows its very accurate.

wrangler-2018-front-tagged-jpg.jpg

yes and in my mind that is a very good looking jeep

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Yeah, I was just saying the other day about how I don't like how wide they have gotten. I also really don't like the bro wheels that make them even wider.

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicles get bigger generation by generation and rarely ever get downsized unfortunately. It's what buyers wants apparently, or at least what the companies think buyers want. Some of it is probably because the average buyer's size has been growing so they want even bigger vehicles with bigger interior space.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
All of a sudden? How old are you? This is nothing new.
A large portion of the market have ALWAYS wanted large cars, since before the days of the Duesenbergs.

They have almost always been equated with prestige, and so mfrs also tried to make an attainable boat for the average person, especially the land-boats of the 70 & 80s, then in the 90s and 2000s it was the SUVs getting bigger and bigger (ala Hummer), same with Pickups, doing away with the small truck. The current 'small truck' is about as big as the old full-sized pickups.

Even during the oil concerns of the 70s and past decade, people still wanted big cars, some just couldn't justify the costs.
Large cars is not a new thing.

As for the rest, you obviously have an issue with government, but a bigger vehicle doesn't mean safer, as seen by crashing an 70/80s land-boat and a midsized modern vehicle side by side, the modern midsize vehicle holds up far better. However there are definitely consumers who will always think bigger & heavier is safer. But they are also the people who don't understand that avoiding a crash is better than being in one.

For all your anti-government sentiment, most governments in the past decade have been pushing people towards smaller more efficient cars, it is consumers who have pushed back in the other direction. Now with cheaper energy consumers will continue to push in the other direction, and with greater energy independence the government doesn't care as much as they did when they were buying boatloads of foreign oil.

Also, the safety tests/ratings are from corporate 'murica, specifically the insurance companies, not government, so your ire is misplaced. Government safety requirements are quite low compared to the IIHS testing/ratings, so manufacturers can exceed government requirements with little effort.

Chief56

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I could kick myself about the tour. I wish I would have paid more attention and been more nosey! I was just so overwhelmed by seeing the JK/JKU's on the line (tunnelvision).

But yeah about the conflicting info. From what I understand no one is working in the North Plant. They just got together the team leaders and are training them to be able to train their workers.

I also heard they are ending the production of the JK's early so they can get the JT into production much earlier. Mostly because of the low sales numbers.

Chief56

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
How firm is that possibility of cutting back on JK production time frame?

Sponsored

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Not for nothing I was at my local Jeep dealer last week. They have 4 new Wranglers on the lot. They said that's the last of th JK's they will get.
Sponsored