Sponsored

Unwrapped 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU from production plant!

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
How in the world is a power soft top going to make the Jeep "W"?

When you say rear do you mean tailgate or the interior passenger seats and back?

Well I can tell you the rear I saw (unwrapped), besides the bumper, looked pretty much the same as the JK/JKU's. It had a hardtop on. I'm guessing it was a JKU Sahara because of the painted fenders.
How exactly did the rear bumper differ? Also did the hard top look like it could be taken apart in panels, or was it like the JK's 3 piece top?
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I did hear that Dana is in (or building) the original Overland Industrial Park building. As well as other Jeep suppliers.
Yep, they announced last year they were moving to Toledo to be closer to the plant, yet no mention of which axle even in their quarterly, just that they were making a new one for the JL. Trixy Hobbitses, taunting us with the word 'New' but no more detail. :(

Jeep Momma

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
How exactly did the rear bumper differ? Also did the hard top look like it could be taken apart in panels, or was it like the JK's 3 piece top?
The rear bumper had the same look (75th anniversary JKU) as the front bumper in the pictures, plastic of course. The hardtop same as the JK. I am not real familiar with hardtops. I have a soft top and have been a Wrangler owner for about 4 years. Soft top the whole time.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
It's a head restraint, not a head rest - they're designed to prevent whiplash.
Actually those headrests are designed to better match the hunched-over contour of cell phone addicts who have bad posture from always looking down at their phones. ;)

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
Yet pretty much since the automobile was invented everyone has called them "head rests".... in other words... we know.
I don't think every knows. That's going by all the complaints that the head restraint isn't softly cuddling their head in an upright position, while they drive. :involve:

Sponsored

Jeep Momma

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My theory is Jeep is already using parts and pieces they plan on using on the JL, on some of the special edition Jeeps they have out now.

i.e. the Recon, 75th Anniversary edition, the Cherokees grille is kinda like the JL, The Chiefs or Smokey Mountains hood, maybe those military style Dana's

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
My theory is Jeep is already using parts and pieces they plan on using on the JL, on some of the special edition Jeeps they have out now.

i.e. the Recon, 75th Anniversary edition, the Cherokees grille is kinda like the JL, The Chiefs or Smokey Mountains hood, maybe those military style Dana's
So the Sahara you saw had plastic bumpers with the 75th anniversary/Hard Rock design? What color wheels? Were the side steps plastic? Spill everything you got!

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
I don't think every knows. That's going by all the complaints that the head restraint isn't softly cuddling their head in an upright position, while they drive. :involve:
The problem is the headrest protrudes too far forward for some people based on their sitting posture. It is a poor match for some people anatomically, likely people with better posture. My wife went with me for a test drive and loved the Jeep, but said it was a no-go unless something could be done about the headrest. The headrest was pushing her head forward and she found it uncomfortable. We got in a Grand Cherokee without such a forward protruding headrest and she was fine.

I have a bit of a poorer posture from working on a computer all day, but still I don't care for the headrest. I already looked at the various fixes online. Considering plenty of other vehicles do not have such a forward protruding headrest, I don't accept that it is required for adequate whiplash protection.

southtj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 TJ Sahara
The problem is the headrest protrudes too far forward for some people based on their sitting posture. It is a poor match for some people anatomically, likely people with better posture. My wife went with me for a test drive and loved the Jeep, but said it was a no-go unless something could be done about the headrest. The headrest was pushing her head forward and she found it uncomfortable. We got in a Grand Cherokee without such a forward protruding headrest and she was fine.

I have a bit of a poorer posture from working on a computer all day, but still I don't care for the headrest. I already looked at the various fixes online. Considering plenty of other vehicles do not have such a forward protruding headrest, I don't accept that it is required for adequate whiplash protection.
It is also a problem for taller people like me. I'm 6'6" and the JK didn't bother me as much as my TJ but that picture looks like it would be uncomfortable. The TJ didn't have a head rest but the seat actually bent forward at the top. The problem with that was that it was at my shoulders and not my head. I ended up taking the drivers seat completely out and standing on the upper portion to bend it straighter. I sure hope the JL one is adjustable.

Jeep Momma

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not that this will help but it's a JL.

IMG_2332.JPG

Sponsored

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150

Jeep Momma

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Still could be one of the early JL test mules.
Not a 'production JL' of course as those don't exist yet, but one of the first test mules that was retired from testing.

More likely, I still think it's all a hoax, like the D-day inflatable tanks !!
They are just trying to distract us from the secret real location they are making all the Wranglers... VERMONT !!

For the historically challenged;

Either that, or I stick with my original assessment, it a very underwhelming/disappointing bouncy castle, poorly inflated and no windows !