Sponsored

Unwrapped 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU from production plant!

Jeep Momma

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
So I have been browsing the threads. It seems to me everything possible has been leaked about the new JL. What more is there to find out?
Sponsored

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
I plan on buying a JL and I like everything I've seen so far body wise but have a few concerns. There doesn't look like there are very many color options that I like. Choices are granite, yellow, red, silver, white, black and nacho. I'll guess I'll have to go with granite though I think it is kind of boring. I'm a two door guy and will never buy a four door jeep so it sounds like my choices are only sport and rubicon? Really? A base model or top of the line and nothing in between? This is going to be a tough decision.

I'm in the same boat as you and I will pick granite and it will be a two door I have a feeling there's a reason why they didn't do a 2-door Sahara I think with options on the sport we may be close that's my thinking at least

MuhThugga

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Pontiac GTO, 2008 Silverado, 1981 El Camino
I think the base rubicon is the best deal. Upgraded drive tra

My prediction is completely unsubstantiated, (IE bullsh!t :swear:). I haven't seen an available 3160 with transfer case, BUT, the shift pattern, size, weight, and capabilities make it probable, and tremec can easily adapt for T-cases.

The possibility of the 3.0/manual is between slim and none due to sales forecasting, and what it costs to certify. IMHO

Edit: If offered, there's NO DAMN WAY I select anything else!
Personally, I'm not interested in the diesel, but I would be interested in a turbo 4 cylinder with a manual transmission. I'm perfectly fine with the Pentastar, and think it is a great engine, but having the ability to dial up the boost is always nice.

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
So I have been browsing the threads. It seems to me everything possible has been leaked about the new JL. What more is there to find out?
We have little knowledge of the roof and why the test mules are covering up the rear end. The only thing we do know is that there will be some sort of power soft and hard top.

Midnight2d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
Upgraded axles, manual transmission info, updated Freedom and soft tops and new power tops, whether JLU rear seats recline, if headrests are adjustable, trail rail management?, and basically whole rear end. Still plenty of details we don't know. The design refresh is arguably the least interesting of all the changes.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
If that's the case, then that would eliminate the theory that the manual trans can't handle the torque of the diesel and the turbo 4 as a reason to not offer it.
No it doesn't eliminate the theory. Because the higher torque handling variants of the 3160 give up both first gear ratio and ratio spread, which makes it a poor fit for the Wrangler.
Now your crawl ratio goes from 75:1 to less than the old automatics near the 50:1 ratio, think people will be happy with that? Especially when the ZF-8's crawl ratio will be 82:1?

Also the spread becomes about 2/3rds that of the current 6 and the 8-speed ZF, so your efficiency falls out a window whilelosing low end power delivery.

The tremec 3160 is still the most likely candidate, as I said long ago, but due to Tremec's own configuration constraints, it still not likely to support the EcoDiesel unkess crippled in such a way as to totally move any benefit to it's principal target use-case.

Last edited:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As midnight said, unfortunately much of the unknown is under the surface, where even seeing a manual gear-shift is nice and confirms a manual transmission and number of gears, but not which transmission. Same with the new 12-boot axle underneath, what is that, it's not a current Dana product (their last 12-bolt was the Dana 28 which would be too weak for a Wrangler). Even basic, but important info that is hidden in the open, like is the fuel tank bigger on either/both would be nice to know.

Stuff like how the windshield folds away from the cage/A-pillar, are the new side-curtain airbags in the seats or also in the other structures.

Are the rear seats redesigned? Are the now acceptable for adults on longer journeys (adults should still buy their own Wrangler rear seats are for kids ;) )

Even just the angle of the rear hard-top or the soft-top is in question if it's more angled for efficiency.

Unfortunately even with the many opportunities for people to see them in plain sight, still a lot of unanswered questions.

Jeep Momma

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We have little knowledge of the roof and why the test mules are covering up the rear end. The only thing we do know is that there will be some sort of power soft and hard top.
How in the world is a power soft top going to make the Jeep "W"?

Upgraded axles, manual transmission info, updated Freedom and soft tops and new power tops, whether JLU rear seats recline, if headrests are adjustable, trail rail management?, and basically whole rear end. Still plenty of details we don't know. The design refresh is arguably the least interesting of all the changes.
When you say rear do you mean tailgate or the interior passenger seats and back?

Well I can tell you the rear I saw (unwrapped), besides the bumper, looked pretty much the same as the JK/JKU's. It had a hardtop on. I'm guessing it was a JKU Sahara because of the painted fenders.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Jeep Momma

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As midnight said, unfortunately much of the unknown is under the surface, where even seeing a manual gear-shift is nice and confirms a manual transmission and number of gears, but not which transmission. Same with the new 12-boot axle underneath, what is that, it's not a current Dana product (their last 12-bolt was the Dana 28 which would be too weak for a Wrangler). Even basic, but important info that is hidden in the open, like is the fuel tank bigger on either/both would be nice to know.

Stuff like how the windshield folds away from the cage/A-pillar, are the new side-curtain airbags in the seats or also in the other structures.

Are the rear seats redesigned? Are the now acceptable for adults on longer journeys (adults should still buy their own Wrangler rear seats are for kids ;) )

Even just the angle of the rear hard-top or the soft-top is in question if it's more angled for efficiency.

Unfortunately even with the many opportunities for people to see them in plain sight, still a lot of unanswered questions.
Well those are a lot of unanswered questions. I wish I would have found this forum before I went on my tour. I would have peaked a little longer and paid more attention to the details.

I did hear that Dana is in (or building) the original Overland Industrial Park building. As well as other Jeep suppliers.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Momma

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Another soft top mistake Jeep Wrangler owners make is the folding of the Jeep Wrangler "W". When folding back your soft top, which can be a one person job... Edit: you need to make sure the fabric of the soft top is pulled away from the bars. When you are putting back your soft top in the first position where it lays right above the passenger seats you want to make sure the fabric is not squished between the bars. "

That's my Jeep and a perfect Jeep W. I believe they also mention it in the Bestop Instructional videos.

JeepW.JPG

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ahh.. OK. :idea:
I've never heard it called that and I've had 3 JKUs (JK would be smaller, so maybe an N).

But yes, I put my arm through the fabric and move it backwards so it folds flat, and jiggle it a bit while closing to avoid pinching. So I guess I don't technically experience the full W.

Makes sense now. :like:

And yes, we're kinda curious how it (edit: 'it' being the power soft-top) will deal with the added material, especially if it's fully retractable like the 3rd party options in the past where then the windows come into play too and those don't like repeated folding and rubbing.
Sponsored

Last edited: