Sponsored

Unwrapped 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU from production plant!

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
A couple Redditors were talking about these leaks and one guy claimed to have seen it.. Some not so good news (if true) for non-Rubicon buyers!
So this guy says he's working in the Toldeo North complex. That's interesting because the Toledo South plant makes JKs and the current JLs, the Toledo North Plant is being retooled to make JLs. Yet he hasn't worked with the new vehicles because he's in the North plant?

He mentions "this job site"? Sounds like he's a construction labourer (who loves his F-150) , and obviously not involved in vehicle production so I'd take his comments with a grain of salt, especially since we've seen them in the wild, including the 2dr.

We've seen the JL mules beside existing JKs on the road, trail, etc so it's obviously not significantly bigger than the current vehicle, especially not so much so that one "can't believe how large the JL is", or that would've been noted already.
Sponsored

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
So this guy says he's working in the Toldeo North complex. That's interesting because the Toledo South plant makes JKs and the current JLs, the Toledo North Plant is being retooled to make JLs.
Yet he hasn't worked with the new vehicles because he's in the North plant?

He mentions "this job site"? Sounds like he's a construction labourer (who loves his F-150) , and obviously not involved in vehicle production so I'd take his comments with a grain of salt, especially since we've seen them in the wild, including the 2dr.
We've seen the JL mules beside existing JKs on the road, trail, etc so it's obviously not significantly bigger than the current vehicle, especially not so much so that one "can't believe how large the JL is", or that would've been noted already.
I don't see why anyone would fake it. Especially in a Reddit thread comment section. Also, the JL has been confirmed to be larger than the JK.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I don't see why anyone would fake it. Especially in a Reddit thread comment section.
Why would they fake it anywhere? Other than the attention it gets? or the FUD it spreads? Why do Toyota fans post on Jeep and Land Rover YouTube vids unprompted? Likely similar motivations.

Also, the JL has been confirmed to be larger than the JK.
So much more so that someone "can't believe how large the JL is" ? That's hyperbole that isn't even close to being born out by what we've seen in test mules.
TJ vs JK that's significant, sofar the JL mules haven't show that level of enlargement.

So again a grain of salt for someone who doesn't seem that credible, and uses hyperbole like that or terms like "absolutely awful", doesn't seem like a reliable/objective source.

Last edited:

Jeep Momma

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
The ones I saw didn't seem any larger than the JKU's. When I first saw it in the North Plant, the South Plant is currently assembling JK's and JKU's, it looked like a JKU. But then again I'm no expert.

Sponsored

geta02it

Threads
Reaction score
Same Here, I went to a canadian dealer in Ontario last week, and they checked on their system, and they had no signs of Jl at all.
Where in Canada are you located, Toronto GTA here.

I even showed the sales person how to get to this site lol, he had no idea

Just outside Calgary but called my local (clueless) and two Calgary dealerships...

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
the biggest difference maker allowing more air to flow over the windshield and roof. When you're driving at high speeds the upright JK windshield can feel like you are driving with a parachute attached to the A pillar.
Also saving you from having to purchase new glass annually :)

Sport11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I was on a private tour. They don't give tours. We (just me and my friend) had to walk through the section where they will be assembling the JL's to get to the JK assembly line. I was there to see the JK's. There JL line had no Jeeps on it. There was just a few one wrapped, a red and gray Jeep. I have pics of the wrapped Jeep on my Social Media. It was outside so I could take pics of the wrapped Jeep. I couldn't take pics inside. Well I could of snuck pics but then my friend would have got in trouble. The red Jeep was surrounded by 3 engineers with laptops. They were working inside the Jeep. I saw it from a distance at first and looked pretty much like the JK's. Then when I was done with the JK tour we walked right up to it. The body lines are aerodymanic looking. I grabbed the grab handle in the back seat, and it reminded me of my aftermarket grab handle I put on my JKU in the front. The front bumper reminded me of the 75th anniversary Jeep's bumper. I glanced inside quickly and the interior looks flatter, if that makes sense. The one I saw was a hard top with painted fenders. I didn't get to spend a long time looking maybe just a couple of minutes.
Nice info.

Were the rear grab handles attached to the back of the front seats? Are they always extended or do they fold down when not being held?

How different was the interior you saw compared to this spied Rubicon interior?

2018-jeep-wrangler-interior-rubicon-1-jpg.jpg

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
A couple Redditors were talking about these leaks and one guy claimed to have seen it.. Some not so good news (if true) for non-Rubicon buyers!

IMG_4797.PNG
So he said:
Ah gotcha. I've been here for a couple months working at the plant. I first saw the new JL in a locked production room back in February or so. Then I've been eyeing it quite a bit since then. I've only seen a couple Rubicons go through (they sent a couple through at the very beginning, haven't seen any since). They haven't sent a single 2 door Wrangler through yet, and I haven't actually seen any of them. All I will say about the Wrangler is that they are quite large. I can't believe how large the JL is. The proportions still look correct, just its scale is a little larger. On the non-Rubicon trims, the plastic looks absolutely awful.

Also, since the current Wrangler production is in the south plant and I'm working at the north plant, I can walk between the two plant. Apparently, my coworker who is a project engineer for my company has seen a camoed JT in the south plant. I haven't seen one yet over there though.
So far it's all been prototypes being built so I assume that's what this guy is talking about. Luckily we know that's just not true since there have been plenty of two door JL's seen lately. Like the one in the Rubicon video.

I'm guessing his comment about how large it is either means he already thinks the JK is large or maybe the JL actually has a bigger presence due to the more upright hood, larger grill, larger wheels/tires? and of course slightly increased wheelbase.

jeepney123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Train Set
I outlined the contours so that you can see the angular gradation of the hood slope, which is very subtle compared to the JK.

2018-jl-wrangler-unlimited-rubicon1.jpg

Sponsored

southtj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 TJ Sahara
I plan on buying a JL and I like everything I've seen so far body wise but have a few concerns. There doesn't look like there are very many color options that I like. Choices are granite, yellow, red, silver, white, black and nacho. I'll guess I'll have to go with granite though I think it is kind of boring. I'm a two door guy and will never buy a four door jeep so it sounds like my choices are only sport and rubicon? Really? A base model or top of the line and nothing in between? This is going to be a tough decision.

BlackRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Rubicon
That one isn't a diesel but they are being built now, heard one drive by and parked. US urea injection fill tube, mph Speedo and left hand drive. It's no rumor, only thing that sucks is no 6 speed manual option for the Eco-diesel only 4 cyl gas and 3.6
Although I want to believe it, I don't think this necessarily means the diesel will be available right away or even first year. We know from the spy photos that FCA has diesel prototypes out testing so it's no surprise they are being built right now. The availability is going to depend on how far along they are in testing/developing, certification, etc

Jeep Momma

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Nice info.

Were the rear grab handles attached to the back of the front seats? Are they always extended or do they fold down when not being held?

How different was the interior you saw compared to this spied Rubicon interior?

2018-jeep-wrangler-interior-rubicon-1-jpg.jpg
Not attached to the seats but the B pillar. I don't believe they are folded down. They reminded me of my Wild Boar grab handles I installed in my Jeep.

The interior picture above doesn't look like the one I saw. But I only peaked in the passenger window for about 10 seconds. There was an engineer in the drivers seat with his laptop and it was dark. It looked more "flat" for lack of a better description.

MuhThugga

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Pontiac GTO, 2008 Silverado, 1981 El Camino
We still don't know, but I like the rumor that it may be a Tremec 3160.
If that's the case, then that would eliminate the theory that the manual trans can't handle the torque of the diesel and the turbo 4 as a reason to not offer it.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I think the base rubicon is the best deal. Upgraded drive tra
If that's the case, then that would eliminate the theory that the manual trans can't handle the torque of the diesel and the turbo 4 as a reason to not offer it.
My prediction is completely unsubstantiated, (IE bullsh!t :swear:). I haven't seen an available 3160 with transfer case, BUT, the shift pattern, size, weight, and capabilities make it probable, and tremec can easily adapt for T-cases.

The possibility of the 3.0/manual is between slim and none due to sales forecasting, and what it costs to certify. IMHO

Edit: If offered, there's NO DAMN WAY I select anything else!
Sponsored